Book You're Reading Now

Iceheart

Huntress! Hello! I adore your avatar :)

So I'm a huge fan of The Dresden Files (In fact, I'm reading Small Favors RIGHT NOW!) and I hope you enjoy Proven Guilty as much as I did. It's really a great story.

Your taste in book mirrors my sisters to a T. It's actually kind of creepy.

...Amanda?

I just finished 2 books:

Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal by Christopher Moore

I simply loved this book. I enjoy humor as long as it's not stupid, and I felt this was pretty witty. It can be a little crude at times, but usually it's actually a fairly smart dirty joke. The basis is that it's Jesus's "lost years"... since the Bible's only story of him before he was 30-ish is him preaching at the temple at age 12. Levi, also called Biff, is Jesus's (Joshua, thank you very much) best friend, and this is his story of how Jesus became the man he was. I admit that I cried at the end. You find yourself cheering for Biff and Joshua, even though you know how it has to end. The book is well-planned out and you can tell that Moore actually did some decent Biblical research to make it FAIRLY accurate. It's smart, funny and touching, all at the same time. One of the best books I've read in a long time.

The Second Wives Club by Jane Moore

I admit the only reason I picked up this book is because it was next to Lamb and the title was kind of funny. It's a story about 4 women who married (or are in committed relationships with) divorced men, and their ex-wives make their lives hell. It's probably a lot like Sex in the City, if I ever bothered to watch it. It's somewhat predictable, but the characters are likable and sometimes just downright funny. It's not a happy ending for everyone, but the characters really grow. I probably wouldn't buy it, but not too bad for one of my first forays into chick-lit.

I love Christopher Moore, but I've decided I'm going to read Lamb last since every one says that it's his greatest book. I want it to be the cream of the crop, ya'know?

I recommend The Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove. It's hilarious.

While I enjoyed Lamb, I did not think it was his best, then again, I mostly go against the norm when it comes to things like books, lol. I just love Christopher Moore and can't wait for the next book to come out, which, I should prolly go check his myspace page to see if he has given a projected date yet.

I am almost done reading World Without End by Ken Follet... awesome! :thumbsup:

I have some others am reading, but forgot what they are, having been hooked on WWE!

I've decided long ago to forgo rereading a book being made into a movie to keep disappointment down and watch the movie for what it is... someone else's interpretation. I am, in this way, giving the movie merits or demerits for its medium, not necessarily the story, unless I see glaring errors in scene translation or character quotage; then there is no hope for the movie at all! :lol:

I had read Water for Elephants!! I lurved it, I actually own it! :)

I finished World Without End yesterday and I all I can say is... am sad it is over!! :lol: Great book, I can't decide which I liked better, the first book or this one! :)

I've got two books going on right now with a third in the wings. Am going to have to shift through this thread and the list thread to get more ideas for more stuff to read! :D

Now I really need to go update mine list... it feels neglected! :(

Just finished Lovecraft's collection which included the fabled Re-Animator. I liked so I watched the movie afterwards. Both very nice on their own respective towers, except the movie soundtrack is annoyingly Psycho. :angry:

It also had Mountains of Madness so I'm prepared for that movie as well if it comes into reality but it has to be done very differently than the story or it just the third Thing (yes yes, Lovey was first, tentacles down everybody).

As for now ? Kama Sutra. Alas, uniconed edition. More candy for the mind, less for the eyes.

I'm reading Fierce Invalids Home from Hot Climates by Tom Robbins. I'm only four pages in, but I'm already cracking up! What are your thoughts on this guy? I'd never heard of him before for some reason...apparently I'm the last one to know.

I'm reading Fierce Invalids Home from Hot Climates by Tom Robbins. I'm only four pages in, but I'm already cracking up! What are your thoughts on this guy? I'd never heard of him before for some reason...apparently I'm the last one to know.

Tom Robbins is one of my favorite all-time authors. Enjoy the humor and frivolity in the book, but be prepared to be blind-sided with subtle and not-so-subtle social commentary that actually makes you think... and makes you keep thinking years later.

Another Roadside Attraction and Skinny Legs and All are my top two. Feirce Invalids and Jitterbug Perfume tie for third in my book, but I've yet to read a Robbins book I didn't like.

Virul, wanna borrow one of the tot's Winnie the Pooh books? Granted they are short and rather cutesy, but I'm getting pretty bored reading them every night to her! :lol:

I'm finishing up American Gods. Love it so far. Cracking me up, which is amusing in itself, if only because I am cracking up in public places. I love getting odd looks!! :p

I also just now finished Smugglers, which was a thin book and took me about an hour or so. It was mildly entertaining actually. It is about a boy and his father who buy this ship called the Dragon and how it has a curse because it was used by smugglers and was Christened by blood. Its got blood shed, Smugglers, and a boat sporting a Dragon's head with moving mouth and secret compartment. :D

I need to check that out too, then. Thanks for the heads off....I mean, heads up, SM. As of now, I exercised the dreaded Pippi scennario and now I'm balancing between Edgar Allan Poe and Piers Anthony. And my Amazon books STILL haven't arrived !

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.