Book You're Reading Now

Iceheart

Something Hanpants would appreciate: Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry.

After a few false starts on THREE other books, I finally fell into a groove on this one. I'm loving the characters and the sense of wit of the author. It's subtle, but it makes me smile.

I'll have to add it to my reading list. :) I can't remember the last time I read a western. Maybe I should try some Louis L'Amour too. I've never read any of his books.

I finished The Sea-Wolf and really enjoyed it. There were some great discussions on characters views on morality (not nearly as dry as it sounds) and it was chock full of adventure! I started Call of the Wild and Other Selected Stories by London on Saturday. I'm on to the "other stories", now.

After a few false starts on THREE other books, I finally fell into a groove on this one. I'm loving the characters and the sense of wit of the author. It's subtle, but it makes me smile.

My dad just asked me on Sunday if I had ever read any Larry McMurtry, what a weird coincidence! He's reading McMurtry's latest book. I tried to read Lonesome Dove in... late middle school or early high school or something and couldn't get into it. But my dad and grandma LOVE him.

As for me... the stuff I've been reading is short enough that I can read them in one sitting. I finished Fruits Basket 12 last night before bed, but haven't started 13.

I just finished Water for Elephants last night. :thumbsup: Good reading!! It is about a man who joins the circus (by accident) and events that happen during his time with one particular circus group. You flip flop between going back to the guy's youth in the circus to him being in a nursing home reliving in his head those days. There are some brutal stuff, tender stuff, funny stuff with a sort of a happy ending. Oh, and the circus' being portrayed in this book come from the Depression Era. I really liked this one. :)

Now am trying to finish up Pray, Love, Eat. I gotta get more books from the library.

My dad just asked me on Sunday if I had ever read any Larry McMurtry, what a weird coincidence! He's reading McMurtry's latest book. I tried to read Lonesome Dove in... late middle school or early high school or something and couldn't get into it. But my dad and grandma LOVE him.

I keep reading books that your grandma likes. I find that a little odd.

Still reading on Lonesome Dove. For those of you who aren't familiar with it, it's about some old retired Texas Rangers who drive a herd of cattle to Montana. To give you a sense of the books pacing, let me summarize everything up to where I am now...

Page 1- Meet Gus and Call, our protagonists and the wacky crew of the Hat Creek Ranch!

Page 225- The first day of the cattle drive.

They spent about six pages in there stealing some horses. It's not so action packed, but the characters are fantastic and I'm really enjoying it.

I haven't seen the series, but I looked up the cast on IMDB the other day. Tommy Lee Jones makes a good Call, but Robert Duvall, as much as I love him, isn't loud enough for Gus. I might have to give it a rent one day.

KFJ! I started reading The Three Musketeers yesterday.

BRILLIANT! Keep me posted.

• 2 weeks later...

So a co-worker lent me A Game of Thrones, Book 1 of Song of Fire and Ice. I'm finally getting around to reading it, and I'm on about page 80. Already there's been 2 instances of incest. Does this book get any better or does the smut just continue? I'm ready for the story to get on with in instead of the soap opera.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello. :)

I just finished reading Water For Elephants by Sara Gruen for my book club selection. Very enjoyable and for those of you who get emotional as you read and become attached to characters . . . have your tissues ready. Jacob is on helluva character.

Currently reading: Goddess of the Rose by P.C. Cast . . . book 4 of her "Goddess Summoning Series".

I've really enjoyed Cast's take on the Gods of Myth and I've finished the books very quickly. Goddess of Light, [book 3] was probably my favorite so far.

On deck I have: Proven Guilty [The Dresden Files Series] by Jim Butcher and then A Quick Bite by Lynsay Sands.

I was turned on to The Dresden Files from a friend of another MB and I've enjoyed it a lot. I highly recommend the series.

Lynsay Sands book is part of her Argeneau family series and I'm filling in the gaps.

Ready for pick up at the library I have: Kitty and the Midnight Hour by Carrie Vaughn and Dead End Dating by Kimberly Raye. These are new authors for me but I've heard that the Kitty Norvell (sp?) series is pretty good.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.