Book You're Reading Now

Iceheart

My review of The Alienist by Caleb Carr (which I have also posted on www.GoodReads.com):

"It was slow going getting into this book, and I was a little off-put at first by Theodore Roosevelt (yes, the one that became a U.S. President) written in as one of the characters in this work of fiction, however, I eventually warmed up to the idea and became increasingly more connected with the main characters as the story unfolded. Written by a history professor, the book is alive with a portrait of New York City in the early 1900's, which I found very interesting and fun. The subject matter was also intriguing - a fictional look at a freethinking, progressive alienist (a term used to describe psycologists at the time), with the help of three detectives and a reporter, attempting to find and stop a serial killer using methods that begin to develop into the type of forensic psychology modern detectives use today.

All in all, I really enjoyed the book. It was a bit more intellectual than your average who-done-it, due to all the psychology and history references, but it was a gritty crime novel, nonetheless. A nice, well-rounded combination of couple of differnt types of novels"

I am reading The Alienist by Caleb Carr, which is a fictional account of, essentially, the birth of forensic psychology in America, set in the early 1900's. The author is a history professor, so on top of getting a lot of interesting information about early psychology, there's a ton of historically accurate info about New York City, as well.

I should recommend that one to my grandma, she likes both genres... I'm not so much of a crime novel person, but it's looked interesting to me for awhile, tho.

Me... I have no time whatsoever for fun reading right now :(

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to work my way through The Regime which is the second book in the Left Behind prequels trilogy. I really enjoyed the Left Behind series but these prequels...ugh. I can only read 15-20 pages at a time before the dialogue makes me want to hurl the books at the wall. I guess it just takes a whole hell of a lot for a prequel to be good.

I'm re-reading Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. It's my favorite of the series.

I seriously have no idea what to read next. I need suggestions. I tried reading Slaughterhouse Five and Lolita, and they both just bored me to tears. I'm tired of books where the protagonist or author rambles on about nothing and it's supposed to mean something deep.

HAHAHAHA!!

anyways, Nicole I suggest reading Furies of Calderon by Jim Butcher. It's a fantasy, but it's so mother effing good. Politics, power, magic (but an interesting and not tired twist), blood, sex, tears, BATTLE, naked infidels. What more could you want?

dude, we're ALL Vonnegut fans. You're in enemy territory, missy.

Not all. I came away from Cat's Cradle feeling rather underwhelmed :shrug:

I seriously have no idea what to read next. I need suggestions. I tried reading Slaughterhouse Five and Lolita, and they both just bored me to tears. I'm tired of books where the protagonist or author rambles on about nothing and it's supposed to mean something deep.

Do you want to stick with the fantasy genre? If you like Harry Potter, try Ursula K. LeGuin's Earthsea Cycle. The first three books are coming-of-age stories, the last two were written much later, and are much more deep and mature in characters and content.

Do you want to stick with the fantasy genre? If you like Harry Potter, try Ursula K. LeGuin's Earthsea Cycle. The first three books are coming-of-age stories, the last two were written much later, and are much more deep and mature in characters and content.

Not necessarily. I do like a general sense of adventure in books, but it doesn't necessarily have to be fantasy. In all honesty, I don't read much fantasy, but I'm not opposed to it. I like everything from a good Tom Clancy novel to Harry Potter. I'm just not all that big on one character yammering on and on about ridiculous crap.

I'll see if I can find that one that the local library, though.

Not all. I came away from Cat's Cradle feeling rather underwhelmed

Really? That was my first Vonnegut novel and got me hooked.

You might try his first two novels, Player Piano and The Sirens of Titan. They're practically "normal" SF novels compared to his later, loopier works.

I'm currently reading the Rex Stout's Black Orchids - another fine Nero Wolfe story, well pair of stories.

I'm also reading The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian - it has the first 12/13 stories [in the order they were written, and original versions] of Robert E. Howards most famous creation. This is pure REH - no pastiches to muddy the waters here, and its very impressive. Subsequent work by other writers [as well as Conan's presentation in other media], have largely diluted the character among the general public, making him blend in with the host of barbarian characters that followed him.

There are a some write-ups/essays in the collection as well that about how the story writing order was determined, and why Howard wrote some stories in a particular fashion, as well as other aspects Conan.

I just started the Myst Reader (3 books in one). I had read these three books eons ago and remembered liking them. Gonna be stuck on this book for a little bitty.

I hate, hate, hate Atonement. Hate it. I'm making mine self finish it, I so hate not finishing books, truly. :unimpressed:

I gave up on "100 years of solitude." I really wanted to like it, but after 150 pages I have had enough. I thought maybe I had a bad translation or something, but it appears there's only one translation out there. All t he characters have VERY similar names and they don't do anything! The only parts I was liking were the silly little pieces like the ghosts and Rebecca's bag of bones that were clattering. Unfortunately, there's not enough draw in them to leep me at it. Sorry Mr. Marquez, I have to pass.

I'm still working on Jack London's The Sea-Wolf. The further I get into it, the more I like it. If I dared bring the copy I have to work, it would be finished by now, but I'm afraid it will fall apart.

I feel a Jack London kick coming on. I think I want to reread White Fang and Call of the Wild after this. And then see what some of his less well known works are.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.