Book You're Reading Now

Iceheart

I read Gil's All Fright Diner and laughed through it!! There is another book by same author if am not mistaken. I will have to look at mine list to see what the other title is. If you liked Gil's, you'll probably like the other title too. :)

Found 'em... there are actually two more books:

By A. Lee Martinez: (3)

A nameless Witch

Gills All Fright Diner

In the company of ogres

I just finished reading The Swing Voter of Staten Island... it was quite the interesting story. Basically its about a place here on earth that was created as a refugee type place when NYC gets blown up. The names of places are changed around some and there are historical icons like Ronald Reagan and Nixon, but the actual historical facts are skewed and played around with. Anyway, it was interesting like I said and a pretty fast read.

I am also half way through What Dreams May Come. Its freaking me out a little bit actually. Am only able to read one chapter at a time due to the need to absorb. Its a story about a man who gets a manuscript from a psychic who supposedly got the contents of the manuscript from the man's dead brother. This story deals with the supposed afterlife and what this one particular person went through after he died and how he tries to console his wife from the other side.

I am also half way through What Dreams May Come. Its freaking me out a little bit actually. Am only able to read one chapter at a time due to the need to absorb. Its a story about a man who gets a manuscript from a psychic who supposedly got the contents of the manuscript from the man's dead brother. This story deals with the supposed afterlife and what this one particular person went through after he died and how he tries to console his wife from the other side.

It was a fantastically depressing movie.

haha I'm just joking. it goes against my book snob grain. It's pretty good; nothing special, but entertaining.

Grandma gave it up, she just doesn't like the genre. I'll bring it back to school with me and give it a go. I can use some mindless entertainment between research.

I think the movie was better. It has Robin Williams and Cuba Gooding Jr. in it. But you would like the book too.

At first, when Kung Fu said the movie was fantastically depressing, I was like, "Movie, it was made into a movie?!" But then when Sonny mentioned who was in the flick, I remembered I did see it a long time ago. Obviously the movie did not make an impression on me, but the book sure is. Maybe I will rent the movie and see if a second viewing gives me a different feeling.

And am still reading the book, lol. I think I might buy the book so I can make some notes; a lot to absorb if your into such a thing.

Ok, so I finished What Dreams May Come last night... good book! :thumbsup:

And, tonight I went to BJ's warehouse to get the box dvd set of the Indy flicks and wandered into the book section. I found Pillars of the World by Follet so I bought it (first book I have spent money on in a looooong time, lol)! :D Of course, I had gone to the library at lunch time and took out three books, plus am in the middle of reading two others.

I'm reading the Tao Te CHing. No more than one passage a day. It's not exactly written to be read straight through. I read a chapter sometime in the first half of the day, again in the afternoon, and then once more before bed. Keeps it on my mind and allows me a better chance to, "get it."

I'm also doing something similar with the Bible. Part of my "Resolution 33," in which I realign my life.

I've also started Hocus Pocus by Vonnegut. I love the opening quote:

"While there is a lower class, I am in it. While there is a criminal element, I am of it. While there is a soul in prison, I am not free."~Eugene Victor Debs.

Why don't any of our presidential want-to-be's talk like this? Where is the passion? Where is the need to make right?

I have Hocus Pocus sitting on my To Read shelf. I love me some Vonnegut.

Right now I'm reading Blindness by Jose Saramago. It's fantastic, depressing, sad, intense, inovative and above all damn good reading. I'll probably do a review when I'm finished.

I am reading The Alienist by Caleb Carr, which is a fictional account of, essentially, the birth of forensic psychology in America, set in the early 1900's. The author is a history professor, so on top of getting a lot of interesting information about early psychology, there's a ton of historically accurate info about New York City, as well.

let's hope Caleb Carr's historical novels are better than his futuristic ones!!

(also, welcome!)

I'm reading Captain's Fury by Jim Butcher. I've been waiting for this book forever because Sir Butcher takes forever to write books. But I finally got it as a Christmas present from the ever-absent Dave Dark.

I am reading The Alienist by Caleb Carr, which is a fictional account of, essentially, the birth of forensic psychology in America, set in the early 1900's. The author is a history professor, so on top of getting a lot of interesting information about early psychology, there's a ton of historically accurate info about New York City, as well.

I should look into that one. Crime and history are two of my most favorite things.

I'm reading The Bridge of San Luis Rey by Thornton Wilder. It's about the lives of those killed by a falling bridge in Peru.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.