Book You're Reading Now

Iceheart

Yeah, some chapters more than others. I didn't really like the Earth chapter.

That's cool and not surprising. Each chapter is so stylistically different. But Earth? I loved the way she did that one. THere is so much history and science top pull from and she choses early explorers. I thought it was the perfect choice since the whole book is about the planets and our exploration of them.

I liked the earlier chapters better than the later. Mercury, Venus, Earth and Mars specifically. Oh, and what she did with the moon dust was the coolest thing ever.

The Dark Tower : Book 6 - Song of Susannah

If I may ask (without searching cause I'm lazy), is there a thread here about this series? I obviously can't click on such until I finish it (because of spoilers), but I'm just curious. Even though I read a decent amount I've never visited this section of Nightly. However, this group of books almost begs for discussion. It's easily one of the greatest works of fantasy/sci-fi/horror/drama that I've ever read.

Yeah, some chapters more than others. I didn't really like the Earth chapter.

That's cool and not surprising. Each chapter is so stylistically different. But Earth? I loved the way she did that one. THere is so much history and science top pull from and she choses early explorers. I thought it was the perfect choice since the whole book is about the planets and our exploration of them.

Maybe because I get tired of exploration after writing about it so much? It was interesting, but I felt like it needed MORE, you know?

If I may ask (without searching cause I'm lazy), is there a thread here about this series? I obviously can't click on such until I finish it (because of spoilers), but I'm just curious. Even though I read a decent amount I've never visited this section of Nightly. However, this group of books almost begs for discussion. It's easily one of the greatest works of fantasy/sci-fi/horror/drama that I've ever read.

I think there is/was one in Fantasy.

Yup...here ya go. http://forums.nightly.net/index.php?showtopic=42091

I think there is/was one in Fantasy.

Yup...here ya go. http://forums.nightly.net/index.php?showtopic=42091

Say thankee, Sai. :)

Still, there has to be some other book you've read at some point that you'd like to discuss with us though, Tangent.

I'm odd with reading. It's usually an on/off thing with me. I'll do it continuously for a month or so and then not read Jack for another few months. (Chronologically) In the middle of this series I took a break and re-read Potter V & VI in prep. for VII (but there's a whole forum dedicated to that). Before that I read about half of Rendezvous With Rama, but then I got bored and quit (first time I've ever done that with a novel since I was much younger, and I liked the concept, I just gave up cause I didn't have time). Before that I read A Scanner Darkly (which had to be in early July '06 cause I purposely read it before the film was released). Before that I read Neuromancer, and I can't remember what came before that.

Let all those who abandon Nightly see their names in glory no longer!

I'm trying to think of a way to say "shut your shtupid face" politely. Darth Evolence was all kinds of awesome. But, yeah, I get what you mean. It does look a little odd.

Myself As Witness by James Goldman.

An epistolary novel that starts off slow and eventually gets to the level of fairly good 'The Lion In Winter' fanfic. I've also got the printed screenplay of his Robin Hood movie with Sean Connery and I hope that'll read better.

I'm sorta switching off between two different books... One is Good Omens, and the other is The Many Lives and Secret Sorrows of Josephine B., which is about Napoleon's wife. It's fictionalized (is that a word?), but it's written as if it were her diary. Pretty interesting...good way to learn about the French Revolution without busting your ass.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay. There are some fine moments in 'Myself As Witness' and the fact that it eventually proved to be, y'know, ABOUT SOMETHING is in its favour. Also : the ending.

The best bit about the 'Robin & Marian' screenplay were the 3 different introductions. Two about Robin Hood as both the legend and the man as well as a slightly shorter bit on the process of writing a screenplay in general and filming the movie in particular. Oh, and this is just tops:

MARIAN: What will you do now? Fight the Sheriff and his men? More corpses? Aren't you sick of it?

ROBIN:You ask if --

On July the twelfth, 1191, the mighty fortress that was Acre fell to Richard. That's his one great victory in the Holy Land and he was sick in bed and never struck a blow. And on the twentieth of August, John and I, we stood there on the plain outside of town and watched while every Moslem left alive came marching out in chains. King Richard spared the richest to be ransomed. Then he took the strong for slaves. And he took the children, all the children, and he had them chopped apart. When that was done, he had the mothers killed and then, when everyone was dead -- three thousand bodies on the plain -- he had them all eviscerated so their guts could be explored for gold and precious stones. The Churchmen on the scene, and there were many, took it for a triumph and a Bishop put his mitre on and led us all in prayer.

You ask me if I'm sick of it? You ask --?

I guess I really need to watch the movie now. Next on my plate : 'Akademgorodok! The Siberian City of Science!' by Paul Josephson.

Finally reading Mistborn, by Brandon Sanderson. I'm completely in love with this man. His ideas are SO unique. Anyway, it took me this long to get around to it because I waited for the paperback release since I'm a poor college student and don't have the money for a hardback.

But omg it is worth the wait.

The Adding Machine: Selected Essays by William S Burroughs

Burroughs is awesome.

I'm re-reading Gaiman's Fragile Things, and I've just started The Chosen by Chaim Potok.

I'm pretty interested in the Elric series by Michael Moorcock. Someone convince me to read it please. :D

Am currently taking a break from fiction to read the revised version of How to Read the Bible for All Its Worth, an exegesis primer.

It's that the Lake Wobegon, Minnesota? I think it's Minnesota. And isn't there an old-time radio program (well, it has that feel anyway) called Lake Wobegon? I've heard it a few times and it's rather amusing.

Yes on both counts. I blame Kung Fu Jawa for kindling my interest in this a long while back.

Cool. From what I've heard so far, I enjoy the program quite a bit. I bet the book is fun.

I finally finished it the other day, a month after my previous post, dragging my feet much of the way. I personally averaged about one insightful chuckle every 5-10 pages. Too much of the low-key humor just sounded...well, like descriptions of average people I know, or people remarkably like them. It's like when my grandma used to ramble on and on, and occasionally she'd throw in an interesting tidbit to gauge my attention span.

I've started Wild At Heart by John Eldridge. It's a very interesting take on masculinity, especially in churches.

Highly, HIGHLY recommended. You also have to read the companion follow-up Captivating, which he cowrote with his wife Stasi. There's also a video series, which we did as a Sunday school class, but the book is (naturally) superior.

I'm pretty interested in the Elric series by Michael Moorcock. Someone convince me to read it please.

Eh. I didn't make it that far into them. If you're up to a challenge, try and track down the First Comics adaptations from the '80s. Beautiful art by P. Craig Russell, Michael T. Gilbert, and more. :thumbsup:

Am currently taking a break from fiction to read the revised version of How to Read the Bible for All Its Worth, an exegesis primer.

It's that the Lake Wobegon, Minnesota? I think it's Minnesota. And isn't there an old-time radio program (well, it has that feel anyway) called Lake Wobegon? I've heard it a few times and it's rather amusing.

Yes on both counts. I blame Kung Fu Jawa for kindling my interest in this a long while back.

Cool. From what I've heard so far, I enjoy the program quite a bit. I bet the book is fun.

I finally finished it the other day, a month after my previous post, dragging my feet much of the way. I personally averaged about one insightful chuckle every 5-10 pages. Too much of the low-key humor just sounded...well, like descriptions of average people I know, or people remarkably like them. It's like when my grandma used to ramble on and on, and occasionally she'd throw in an interesting tidbit to gauge my attention span.

:lol: I don't think I'll be pursuing the acquisition of that book with too much force. If it fell into my lap, then I'd probably crack it open.

I've started Wild At Heart by John Eldridge. It's a very interesting take on masculinity, especially in churches.

Highly, HIGHLY recommended. You also have to read the companion follow-up Captivating, which he cowrote with his wife Stasi. There's also a video series, which we did as a Sunday school class, but the book is (naturally) superior.

My hubby's men's Bible Study is going through the book and video series. We were talking about the book and I thought it sounded very interesting too, so he "gave me permission" to read it. ;) Thanks for the heads up about the follow-up, that'll definitely be going on the "to get" list.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.