Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

WATCHMEN

575 replies to this topic

D-Ray Kenobi

D-Ray Kenobi

Back off man, I'm a scientist.

• 15,233 posts
You know, I wonder if the whole aping-Shumacher look is sort of purposeful.

IMericka

IMericka

Deadly Nightshade

• Members
  • 15,769 posts
Owl looks lame to me, but the others I'm alright with... even Ozymandias doesn't bother me much, but Owl just looks totally overdone.

Ryn

Ryn

Moonshadow

• Moderators
  • 28,536 posts
I like the look a lot. Could there be a conscious effort to treat superhero movies in the same manner as the title did comics?

D-Ray Kenobi

D-Ray Kenobi

• 15,233 posts
Yeah, that's sort of what I was thinking. I think that's a cool idea, but I know it's going to rile up the type of folks like Axis even more. But speaking as someone who has only been recently introduced to Watchmen, I think it could be a really good idea.

lovecraftian

lovecraftian

Uatu the Watcher's Intern

• Members
  • 1,511 posts
Overall, I'm pleased. My only concern is the casting of both Silk Spectres. Carla Gugino playing a woman in her sixties? Kinda questionable. Malin Akerman looks to be about the right age for Silk Spectre II, though.

R.CAllen

R.CAllen

walking

• 4,048 posts
I think you guys are reading a little too much into those photos. They just suck, that's all. Just because they suck in the same way that some other stuff sucked doesn't mean that it's a clever reference to the original suckage. It just means that there are only a finite number of ways to suck and so they have randomly stumbled onto one that has already been traversed by prior suckers. Simple.

I think if I had a choice between a subtle reinventing of the comic's basic premise or something more along the lines of "Watchmen Babies in V for Vacation!" I'd prefer the latter over the former.

Affinity

Affinity

• Validating
  • 106 posts
I think they look pretty decent so far. The Comedian looks really good. The only one I'm a little concerned with is Ozzymandias, and to a lesser extent The Owl.

Could be a whole lot worse. I do have good feelings about the project.

Macho Grande

Macho Grande

I don't think I'll ever get over myself

• Banned Users
  • 4,936 posts
Call me crazy, but I think bat nipples actually suit Ozzy.

D-Ray Kenobi

D-Ray Kenobi

• 15,233 posts

"Watchmen Babies in V for Vacation!"

Simpsons did it first.

R.CAllen

R.CAllen

walking

• 4,048 posts
Exactly what I was referring to. Did you think I was plagiarizing the show? Or is this some sort of South Park joke? What is box happening?

To clarify : I'd rather the filmmakers just miss the point of the book and toss up something completely out-of-place than have them try to reinvent or adjust the material for the silver screen in some half-clever way that'll probably fly over the heads of the movie's audience. I prefer to be disgusted rather than disappointed.

However - as per the following post quoted from The Beat - you might be absolutely correct :

Cameron Says:
03/6/08 at 11:46 am

@Bulent:

ďI think Alanís work is absolutely groundbreaking and whether he sat down to do that or not, thatís what he did. I think that for me, itís about adapting that great work into a movie, but itís also certainly about making a film that does hopefully to the cinematic superhero genre, what the book did to the comic book world. Itís my hope and my intent to shine a light on the current state of superhero movies and what they mean to pop culture, and what they mean to people who enjoy them, and comic book fans.Ē

From an interview with Zack Snyder here.

So, uh, good for you.

D-Ray Kenobi

D-Ray Kenobi

• 15,233 posts
Oh, snap.

Posted Image

IMericka

IMericka

Deadly Nightshade

• Members
  • 15,769 posts
oh my god snoopy Rorschach wins my entire life.

lovecraftian

lovecraftian

• Members
  • 1,511 posts

Oh, snap.

Posted Image

:eek:

My God, he's even more disturbing when he's Snoopy.

Tangent

Tangent

Hardcore will never die, but you will

• Members
  • 12,137 posts

:eek:

My God, he's even more disturbing when he's Snoopy.

You think that's bad? Just wait until you see what happens when he mistakes Woodstock for a Sweet Chariot sugar cube.

NumberSix

NumberSix

Content Provider Emeritus

• 29,734 posts
Linus as the Comedian and Lucy as the younger Silk Spectre functions on all the wrong levels.

lovecraftian

lovecraftian

• Members
  • 1,511 posts

Linus as the Comedian and Lucy as the younger Silk Spectre functions on all the wrong levels.

I always pictured Linus as Ozymandias and Pig Pen as Rorschach. But man oh man... That Snoopy-Rorschach works wonders. It really does. :lol:

Tank

Tank

Driver

• 34,359 posts
Two items--

The Black Frieghter will be releases as an animated tale (cut from the actual artwork I hear) and sent to DVD a week after Watchmen hits the theater.

Also, an image of the original Minute Men:

Posted Image

R.CAllen

R.CAllen

walking

• 4,048 posts
There's an Alan Moore interview from back when Watchmen was coming out where he goes on and on about the specific feeling of old photographs and the emotions they convey. How when you look at them you're almost prompted to say "Oh, they didn't know how things would turn out" or something like that.

I'm starting to assume that Watchmen will follow the example of Johnny Depp's From Hell. The set design and general atmosphere will perfectly capture the mood of the original text while the rest will completely miss it.

Ryn

Ryn

Moonshadow

• Moderators
  • 28,536 posts
Have names been released for those portraying the Minutemen?

Darth Spoon

Darth Spoon

Fool for a lifetime...

• Members
  • 13,117 posts
Make your own Veidt commercial and get it in the movie!

http://www.youtube.com/watchmenmovie
Assets: http://watchmenmovie...t/download.html

EDIT: ****! Just realised entries closed yesterday! :angry:

Edited by Darth Spoon, 03 June 2008 - 04:22 AM.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

Supra-Awesome Badass PIE Pimp

• 42,592 posts
What's puzzling about those set photos show above is that I thought this movie was gonna be shot 300 style? In that case, wouldn't we be seeing blank greenscreens? Or were those finished screenshots after they added all the CGI?

Sometimes I read what other people think and a little piece of me just runs away screaming never to return.

Watchmen a cartoon? Sin City sucked? Oh God, I think I'm having an aneurysm.

Every time I see comments like these about other people's opinions of movies or books or TV shows or whatever, I always wonder if the commenters also consider people who don't like the same food as them insane or stupid. "What? You don't like Pecan PIE? A little piece of my just ran away screaming never to return!" "What? You don't like cheeseburgers? Oh God, I think I'm having an aneurysm!"

It's called taste, people. If we all had exactly the same taste then everything would be exactly the same. Which is obvious, but what's less obvious is why most of us are more judgmental about some taste differences (movies, books, music, clothes, etc) and most people not at all about others (food, weather, pets, etc).

R.CAllen

R.CAllen

walking

• 4,048 posts
Awesome. I love explaining things I said almost a year ago!

My thing wasn't about taste. It was about stupidity. Stupid standards of judgment, stupid comparisons between entirely different kinds of work, the stupidity inherent in almost every word in the post to which I was replying.

Treq was beeeeeening stupid. And, sometimes, when people are stupid I say things like that to them.

Treq

Treq

What's this?

• Members
  • 987 posts
Um, in what way was I being stupid? I wrote that I found Watchment to be very clever, and well written. I wasn't decrying the quality of the work itself, only the level of enjoyment I procured from it. I simply wrote that some of the characters don't appeal to me as much as others, both in Watchemn itself, and in other works of fiction. A legitimate claim based on personal preference, which I am legitimately allowed to state in a public forum discussing the work in question.

Also, the medium between Watchmen and Sandman is exactly the same, so in what way am I being stupid in comparing them? Yes, the story is different. Yes, the aims are different. I personally prefer Sandman, which is basically a treatise on stories themselves, rather than Watchmen, which most would agree is a treatise on comic books themselves. They are both fine works, and I enjoyed Watchmen immensely.

In my opinion, Sandman is the greatest comic book ever written. A great many people would agree with me. A great many other people would say Watchmen would take that title, in as much as a title can be granted. A further great many people would say The Dark Knight Returns, or any one of a hundred other titles. That's fine. I didn't insult anyone for not agreeing with me, and I didn't insult anyone's intelligence either.

Everything R.Callen didn't like about my post was about personal taste, not intelligence or stupidity, in essence calling me stupid because my personal preference differed to his. So who is the one being stupid here?

Guest_The_return_of_thanos_*

Guest_The_return_of_thanos_*
  • Guests

Two items--

The Black Frieghter will be releases as an animated tale (cut from the actual artwork I hear) and sent to DVD a week after Watchmen hits the theater.

Also, an image of the original Minute Men:

Posted Image

:lol:
They look like luchedores!

Where's Rey Mysterio Senior??

R.CAllen

R.CAllen

walking

• 4,048 posts

Also, the medium between Watchmen and Sandman is exactly the same, so in what way am I being stupid in comparing them? Yes, the story is different. Yes, the aims are different.

Length. Sandman is a series of interconnected graphic novellas told over in chapter-by-chapter form. It's like a TV series with individual episodes which make up seasons which then are the entire series as a whole. In this analogy, Watchmen would be either a single movie or (if you really want to stretch things) a miniseries.

The leap you have to make to compare one to the other is a leap that I call stupid. Other things off the top of my head which I thought were stupid about your original post : that stuff about the characters not 'grabbing' you, you writing Dark Night Returns instead of the proper title, and the way you smell.

I feel that ShadowDog equating a like or dislike for a book to a like or dislike of pecan pie was pretty stupid. Many people approach food with a sort of instinctive and unconsidered reactionary involvement without too much critical evaluation. They like what they like without thinking too much about what they like about it. To be fair, plenty of people do the exact same thing with books/movie/whatever. And plenty of folks (food critics, chefs, gourmands, fatties) probably apply a similar level of thought and distinction to their choice of what to eat and why they like it as the Internet does to the various problems with the Star Wars prequels.

I forgot my point. Whatever.

Reply to this topic