Superman: Man of Steel

lovecraftian

Smallville never interested me either. It always seemed sort of like Dawson's Creek-ish.

QFT. Like the work/beliefs of certain present-day comic "creators," this series was launched to appeal to people uncomfortable with superhero costumes (which begs the question: why would such a person watch a show based on THE biggest costumed hero fantasy ever created?).

Regarding the leaping instead of flying idea: I think flying has too much going for it as a plot device/fantasy element over leaping, which is one of the reasons leaping faded during the Golden Age of Superman comics.

James Newton Howard, please. He's really the only composer I could see creating something close to the grandeur of John Williams' theme. Him or Howard Shore.

Shore has a unique voice and a great world builder but he's only really gone in Williams realm with Lord of the Rings and that's all. I don't think they're the only ones; listen to Powell's score to How to Train Your Dragon and tell me he's not suited for this. Giacchino is pretty much Williams heir but I don't see him fitting Snyder's style (but then he did an amazing job with the Wachowski BSDM).

Guest El Chalupacabra

Regarding the leaping instead of flying idea: I think flying has too much going for it as a plot device/fantasy element over leaping, which is one of the reasons leaping faded during the Golden Age of Superman comics.

agreed. no one ever dreams of leaping really really far. they dream of flying.

We have got to began to move away from this love story crap with Lois Lane. Batman was better when the lady that he loved was lost. I’m not saying kill Lois, but start movie her to the background. If you want them to be in love, married them and get that out of the way.

We have got to began to move away from this love story crap with Lois Lane. Batman was better when the lady that he loved was lost. I’m not saying kill Lois, but start movie her to the background. If you want them to be in love, married them and get that out of the way.

Batman's different. He's never had a regular woman in his life, unlike Superman who's always associated with Lois (and Lana). The closest for Batman would probably be Catwoman or Talia al Ghul.

Oh, and Robin.

Awesome point. I couldn't agree more.

We have got to began to move away from this love story crap with Lois Lane. Batman was better when the lady that he loved was lost. I'm not saying kill Lois, but start movie her to the background. If you want them to be in love, married them and get that out of the way.

It would be foolish to move the 2nd most important character in the Superman storyline (arguably above Luthor) to the background. Superman is not some brooding on-again, off-again loner like certain interpretations of Batman.

I have always had a two movie plan for Superman... with a third easily just happening.

Ever since I was a late teen I had the idea that Superman should be rebooted and have the first film exist in the late 1930s early 1940s era. Basically the time he was created IRL. There's the Fortress (of course, but we also have a floating Kryptonian robot pal for Superman here, basically a Mr.Data for him to talk too... they have this in the comics, but for a visual think of something like the Black Hole film's robots, but cooler). There's fedoras, typewriters and all that iconic goodness. The Metropolis Mafia (aka Intergang, headed by Bruno Mannheim) hire a scientist (of the mad variety) to dispose of Superman. The mad scientist/astronomer would be Hank Henshaw who creates Fleischer-like robots (aka Iron Giant looking things) with early James Bond inspired tech fitting the time period. Lois and Superman do get involved of course and the hint is heavy they are looking to tie the knot, being swept away in their traditional super-true love like way. At the end Superman resolves all the villainous issues, of course. Henshaw is presumed dead. Intergang boss Mannheim is arrested. As Superman is being applauded by the President and all that hubba, the Fortress robots contact Superman (via tech in his belt) and alerts him to a UFO that is streaking in a crash pattern towards the Fortress. Superman flies to intercept and helps the egg like craft crash as softly as possible. Superman opens the craft and the last thing the audience sees is Starro... a shriveled up and on the brink of death Starro.

The next film is then set in modern day times. Starro has been growing and feeding off of Superman for like 50 years. Superman is in a catatonic state during this ala Alan Moore's For the Man Who Has Everything. In Superman's mysterious absence Intergang has resolidified itself as the ruling underworld conglomerate. Lois is long dead. It will be discovered shortly after Supes disappeared Lois died during one of her many investigative hijinks she always got herself in and Superman always saved her from, but of course Superman wasn't around this time. Metropolis is still a shining gem of a city, on the surface at least, and it even has it's heroes... the business man Lex Luthor and his LuthorCorp are glimmering examples of corporate goodness (publicly anyway) of course he's the underworld big boss behind the scenes. There is a League of Heroes in Metropolis, funded by Bruce Wayne aka Batman and manned by Ted Kord aka Blue Beetle, Jefferson Pierce aka Black Lightning and the mysterious artificial intelligence that is Red Tornado. Superman's Pal, Jimmy Olson is all old now and the Chief of the Daily Planet.

This second film, being a very action movie heavy plot, would open with a battle between the Blue/Black/Red hero team and Metallo (a Luthor funded goon). The idiot Metallo is botching a robbery/sabotage mission at a WayneTech facility. During this scuffle the MacGuffin is revealed... For decades WayneTech has found more crashed Starro pods, with dead alien Starros in them (they weren't lucky enough to be found by the living battery of awesome that is Superman). WayneTech has been doing secret research and dissections on the aliens. The battle activates a previously dormant alien beacon, this happens due to a combo punch of Black Lightning's blasts and Kryptonite radiation (which ends up leaking from Metallo, as it's his fuel source). This beacon activates the lone Starro left, the one living off Superman. And thus the film's hero returns as the plot's main villain. World Domination is the plan. Alien invasion is the device. Super-Starro is too much for them (Red Tornado is demolished, Ted Kord is hospitalized) and no one (at first) realizes it's Superman (1. he's been missing, 2. Starro covers his face. 3. he's not in his supersuit). The climax will be Batman versus Superman.. or well Super-Starro. Batman will be in a powered battle suit, created with recovered tech from Metallo and Red Tornado. Starro get's separated from Superman and we can see a return of the Man of Steel... just in time for the credits.

Oh, and Robin.

I never count Steph, she was only Robin for about six months.

I have always had a two movie plan for Superman... with a third easily just happening.

Ever since I was a late teen I had the idea that Superman should be rebooted and have the first film exist in the late 1930s early 1940s era. Basically the time he was created IRL. There's the Fortress (of course, but we also have a floating Kryptonian robot pal for Superman here, basically a Mr.Data for him to talk too... they have this in the comics, but for a visual think of something like the Black Hole film's robots, but cooler). There's fedoras, typewriters and all that iconic goodness. The Metropolis Mafia (aka Intergang, headed by Bruno Mannheim) hire a scientist (of the mad variety) to dispose of Superman. The mad scientist/astronomer would be Hank Henshaw who creates Fleischer-like robots (aka Iron Giant looking things) with early James Bond inspired tech fitting the time period. Lois and Superman do get involved of course and the hint is heavy they are looking to tie the knot, being swept away in their traditional super-true love like way. At the end Superman resolves all the villainous issues, of course. Henshaw is presumed dead. Intergang boss Mannheim is arrested. As Superman is being applauded by the President and all that hubba, the Fortress robots contact Superman (via tech in his belt) and alerts him to a UFO that is streaking in a crash pattern towards the Fortress. Superman flies to intercept and helps the egg like craft crash as softly as possible. Superman opens the craft and the last thing the audience sees is Starro... a shriveled up and on the brink of death Starro.

The next film is then set in modern day times. Starro has been growing and feeding off of Superman for like 50 years. Superman is in a catatonic state during this ala Alan Moore's For the Man Who Has Everything. In Superman's mysterious absence Intergang has resolidified itself as the ruling underworld conglomerate. Lois is long dead. It will be discovered shortly after Supes disappeared Lois died during one of her many investigative hijinks she always got herself in and Superman always saved her from, but of course Superman wasn't around this time. Metropolis is still a shining gem of a city, on the surface at least, and it even has it's heroes... the business man Lex Luthor and his LuthorCorp are glimmering examples of corporate goodness (publicly anyway) of course he's the underworld big boss behind the scenes. There is a League of Heroes in Metropolis, funded by Bruce Wayne aka Batman and manned by Ted Kord aka Blue Beetle, Jefferson Pierce aka Black Lightning and the mysterious artificial intelligence that is Red Tornado. Superman's Pal, Jimmy Olson is all old now and the Chief of the Daily Planet.

This second film, being a very action movie heavy plot, would open with a battle between the Blue/Black/Red hero team and Metallo (a Luthor funded goon). The idiot Metallo is botching a robbery/sabotage mission at a WayneTech facility. During this scuffle the MacGuffin is revealed... For decades WayneTech has found more crashed Starro pods, with dead alien Starros in them (they weren't lucky enough to be found by the living battery of awesome that is Superman). WayneTech has been doing secret research and dissections on the aliens. The battle activates a previously dormant alien beacon, this happens due to a combo punch of Black Lightning's blasts and Kryptonite radiation (which ends up leaking from Metallo, as it's his fuel source). This beacon activates the lone Starro left, the one living off Superman. And thus the film's hero returns as the plot's main villain. World Domination is the plan. Alien invasion is the device. Super-Starro is too much for them (Red Tornado is demolished, Ted Kord is hospitalized) and no one (at first) realizes it's Superman (1. he's been missing, 2. Starro covers his face. 3. he's not in his supersuit). The climax will be Batman versus Superman.. or well Super-Starro. Batman will be in a powered battle suit, created with recovered tech from Metallo and Red Tornado. Starro get's separated from Superman and we can see a return of the Man of Steel... just in time for the credits.

That's pretty much a cross between the Superman/Batman: Generations minis and The Call two parter from Batman Beyond.

• 1 month later...

After finally getting around to seeing The Social Network, I'm convinced that Armie Hammer could make an awesome Superman/Clark Kent. He's got the talent and the size. They'd just have to darken his hair. Funny, since he was set to play Batman in that Justice League: Mortal movie, but I'd say he's a better fit for Supes.

(On a side note, he might also have made a perfect Anakin Skywalker.)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.