Superman: Man of Steel

lovecraftian

Yeah, but Returns didn't fail because of Routh. Most criticims that I read usually added that the one bright spot was that Brandon did a good job with horrible writing/story.

I liked Routh a lot., actually I just think they'll go with a big name to make sure the whole thing works. Producers are hesitant to go with a guy who starred in a failed movie even if it wasn't his fault. In their minds the casual fan will associate a guy like Routh with a **** movie and therefore be less inclinded to see him in the next film. Not dogging you for liking Returns, mind you, but the fact is that a lot of people didn't.

Nobody's really mentioned Sam Huntington, who might have been the best part of Returns outside of Routh. I'll be sad to see the cast go, but I'm excited to see if Nolan's expert casting abilities make their way into the reboot. How about Rashida Jones as Lois Lane? Tom Hardy as Lex Luthor?

I really hope Zod is not in it. I never liked the character, and always thought the villains dragged Superman II down for me. Besides, let's separate ourselves from the Donner nostalgia once and for all! Although it would be a shame to not use John Williams' theme. If they didn't want to, maybe they could use a variation of the theme from the 90's WB cartoon (

). I always enjoyed that one.

Nobody's really mentioned Sam Huntington, who might have been the best part of Returns outside of Routh. I'll be sad to see the cast go, but I'm excited to see if Nolan's expert casting abilities make their way into the reboot. How about Rashida Jones as Lois Lane? Tom Hardy as Lex Luthor?

I really hope Zod is not in it. I never liked the character, and always thought the villains dragged Superman II down for me. Besides, let's separate ourselves from the Donner nostalgia once and for all! Although it would be a shame to not use John Williams' theme. If they didn't want to, maybe they could use a variation of the theme from the 90's WB cartoon (

). I always enjoyed that one.

We need a Villain that is Superman's equal. Lex Luther is a staple but come one, how much can he do to him other then use Kryptonite? I like Zod but he has been used before in Superman II an in Smallville (two versions). Bizzaro could work if done right. If you watch the deleted scene from Superman Returns it shows the continent that Lex made turn into an orbiting planet. They could create a Bizzaro world and character from Sup's blood left on the planetoid.

Yeah, new villains are needed. Brainiac's an easy fit with a Supes origin and show Lex's hate of Superman rising throughout the film. Leading into Lex in the second film with possibly the Parasite as a minor villain. If it makes it past two films, Doomsday for three and Darkseid for number four.

Gah, love Brainiac but hate that particular android version to the right. I like the idea they use currently in which robots similar to that look are his drones as opposed to actually him. If you're going to go with an artificial intelligence, I'd use the DCAU version. Otherwise the classic/current continuity Coluan Vril Dox is just as good. Or the computer from Superman III.

Last was a joke.

• 2 weeks later...

Jon Hamm may be in the running after all.

Zack Snyder Looking for a Middle Aged Superman?

We don’t know much about the new Superman movie. We’ve heard from a few sources that Zod is the villain, although even that Zack Snyder has written off as just a rumor. While another report claimed that David Goyer’s script follows Clark Kent, a journalist traveling the world “trying to decide if he should, in fact, even become Superman.” Snyder has said that the film is not a remake, won’t be connected at all to the Richard Donner films, based on any particular comic, and will probably feature the character’s early days.And everyone is wondering who will play Superman this time around, and now we have a report that claims they are looking for someone aged 35-40 to play the man of steel.

Snyder has said that Brandon Routh is unlikely to return. But when AICN talked to the actor a few months back he said he’d been contacted by Legendary and was starting to train again. This is before Mr. Snyder was tapped to direct, so it’s possible that things have changed. Snyder now seems to have backpedaled on his previous comment in an article from the News of the World:

Studio Warner Bros originally demanded that the next Superman film, due in the Summer of 2012, would have an all-new cast after they were underwhelmed by Superman Returns’ weak box office take. But Zack revealed that Brandon WILL be considered for the role after he saw an online fan campaign to have the star reinstated. “I know!” he told the News of the World. “I didn’t realise there would be such a groundswell.”

Armie Hammer, who almost played Batman in George Miller’s canceled Justice League: Mortal film, has been gaining traction on the fansites as a possible contender for the role. Hammer, who is best known for playing the Winklevoss twins in David Fincher’s The Social Network, says that he talked to his agent about the possibility and was told they are looking for someone older. Here is the quote from Vulture:

“I did talk to my people recently about [Zack Snyder’s film] for the first time, and I think they’re going a little older with Superman. I hear they’re going 35, 40.”

Armie is only 24 years old. Routh is older but seems to be a bit too young for that age range at 31.

Another actor fans have been buzzing about is Mad Men star Jon Hamm, who Snyder worked with on Suckerpunch. Some fans have argued that Hamm is too old for the role. Christopher Reeve was only 25 when he played Superman in Richard Donner’s 1978 film. But at 39-years old, Hamm fits the age range mentioned by Hammer.

As for Hamm, when he was asked about playing Superman last month, the actor said, “f the powers that be are thinking that, I’d like them to get in touch with me. Maybe we can discuss it.”

That report is dumb.

It is full of conflicting ideas and scoops.

The script will follow Clark around as he decides whether or not to become Superman. Ooooo. Way to come up with a suspenseful plot concept. He will be Superman. And his path to Superman is not anywhere as interesting as being Superman and punching stuff really hard. Also the script will focus on his early days. Yay! And yet: Let's cast a guy between 35 and 40. Nothing like thinking about a sequel and making sure your star is young enough to... oops.

**** a Superman origin story.

Stop already.

Get Routh back and let's have him battle Bizarro! Or Brainiac! Or hell, BOTH! The BB Express. Why not write it as Brainiac creates a Bizarro?! Or Let's bring back Superboy, but have his DNA unravel (he was sick and stuff in Returns). Let's have him go Bizarro. Why not? I don't want social issues. I want some drama, some death and I want capes and super fights.

The way I see it is that, since the 90's, mainstream has pushed the idea of focusing more on Clark Kent as oppossed to Superman. You had Lois & Clark over on ABC, then Smallville on CW. And they were interesting and new takes to explore. But that's been done now. Maybe, just maybe, its time to give general audiences just Superman again. Bar none. Flying around, kicking ass, saving the day. Forget about the journey. The mainstream audience has been given the journey, and the "normal" side of Clark Kent ad nasueum. So go back to the basics. I don't particuarly need nor want a story about Superman discovering himself or the journey to become Superman. I want to see him already there. And I can't stress enough how that doesn't necessitate no origin elements in the story at all. They're not mutually exclusive ideas. Burton did it with the original Batman, its not that hard.

:thumbsup:

Well said, JS.

I'm tired of Clark Kent. I'm tired of X-Men/HEROES point of views. I'm tired of the Superheroes are People shtick.

I want Superman. In tights. In his cape. Red boots. Yellow belt. I want the Super S symbol. I want heat vision, flying, super jumping and punching stuff. I want a Rocky vs Apollo Creed like fight with superheroes. I want a Predator like face off. etc. I want the FANTASTIC! Screw "does the world need a Superman" news reports. I want Supermano-a-mano! LOL Bring in Darkseid and his invading army! A modern Superman film should be a popcorn eating, [feel good] blockbuster like Avatar. Stop with the excessively deep and meaningful ****. Superfight!

You make good points, Jason, but are you certain they couldn't pull off a reboot with Brandon?

Sure it can work; though not a reboot, the 1983 non-canon Bond film Never Say Never Again used former JB Connery, and the film only fell short of that year's official entry (Octopussy) by 12 million. Apparently, audences could accept an actor once associated with the role in a different take on the concept.

Routh was fine, and I would like to see him in the role again.

I wonder if they would offer the part to Tom Welling?

Hell no!!

Or Tim Tebow?

What's wrong with you?

Gah, love Brainiac but hate that particular android version to the right. I like the idea they use currently in which robots similar to that look are his drones as opposed to actually him. If you're going to go with an artificial intelligence, I'd use the DCAU version. Otherwise the classic/current continuity Coluan Vril Dox is just as good. Or the computer from Superman III.

Last was a joke.

I think an updated version of the robot look might be a good idea. Bale and Worthington vs the Terminators looked decent enough in Salvation, so I figure they could do no worse having Superman fight a badass robotic Brainiac.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.