Superman: Man of Steel

lovecraftian

Jon Hamm is absolutely perfect for the role. Snyder and Warner Bros should be tripping over themselves and begging him to play the part right now.

I don't want some puny twenty something playing Superman. I want SuperMAN. He needs to be a mysterious, overpowering, burly, deep voiced guy who everyone idolizes. You take away the drunk womanizing dick out of the equation, and you have Don Draper in tights.

Plus, look at his character in 30 Rock:

THAT IS CLARK F'ING KENT.

Yeah, but Returns didn't fail because of Routh. Most criticims that I read usually added that the one bright spot was that Brandon did a good job with horrible writing/story.

Although, I do think I'm the only one in the world that actually liked Returns.

Routh was awesome. If you're not bringing him back (and they're morons if they're not) then a big name isn't going to get it done. They need to do what they did when casting Routh and find a small time actor who has the look of Superman and also has the acting chops.

Just someone who looks the part and is a decent actor enough to pull off the dual identity. That's all I want. No mega-stars like Brad Pitt or something like that but by all means if its someone whose name is known it shouldn't discount them. An "unknown" again would be nice, but I'm over it being an absolute, bar-none necessity. When Returns was getting up and running I was one of those people, the OMG UNKNOWN people, but that was just being a fanboy and making the role and its requirements way more complicated and nit-picky than I had to.

And the studio would look like indecisive idiots to bring Routh back. They decided on a reboot. That means everything is gone, including Routh. See it all the way through and start off fresh if that's what you set out to do. Holdovers from previous franchises, and huge inspirations from the Donner films (a small nod here and there isn't terrible), is showing that the studio didn't learn from Singer's mistakes. Even if he was absolutely remarkable in the role (he wasn't), I still think the reboot mandate would have demanded a change, albeit a more difficult decision to make.

You make good points, Jason, but are you certain they couldn't pull off a reboot with Brandon?

I wonder if they would offer the part to Tom Welling? Or Tim Tebow?

Well I'd hesitate to say certain, I'm just some goofy guy in the internet, not actually in the industry. I just think, why risk associating anything with the past film, when the reaction was apparently so much less than you'd hoped that you decided to start over again to begin with.

But I'm down for Saint Tebow.

Superman Returns just had a really weak script and needed a more refined tooling with one or two more rewrites and yeah, an actual third act. It also needed it's own identity. In retrospect, I really would have liked it if we had gotten the Abrams Superman story over what we got in 2006. The only problem with that is we'd have gotten either a McG or Brett Ratner rather than Abrams who is a much better director than either of those... but we'd also have a complete X-Men trilogy.

Anyway, since I'm writing to myself, I'm going to beat the drum for Armie Hammer who gave a career making performance playing the twin Winklevoss brothers in The Social Network and, oh yeah, Jon Hamm as Zod.

In all honesty, watch this guy act before you judge. He plays two main roles in a feature film with different personalities flawlessly, has a great physique, all in which would be perfect for Superman. Make snide remarks if you'd like but when I cast, I don't fan wank with it. This guy would make a great Superman.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.