Superman: Man of Steel

lovecraftian

Exclusive: David Goyer Hired To Write Superman: The Man of Steel

1.Thomas Tull, the head of Legendary, got tired of all the discussion and decided chingate, let's do it. So he went to Goyer and Goyer had an idea that actually takes the movies back to the John Byrne incarnation. Modern. Believable. FUN! So Tull got Goyer hired.

2.The film will not be called Superman and will be called THE MAN OF STEEL.

3.Brandon Routh will not star in the film.

4.Nic Cage will NOT star in the fllm (lol)

5.Bryan Singer is not expected to direct.

I can tell you that Goyer's story involves Luthor and Brainiac. It is NOT an origin and assumes audiences already know about Lois, Clark, Jimmy and Perry. I know the Daily Planet is struggling due to the internet. And I know it sets up a huge Kryptonian mythology.

LatinoReview.com

EXCLUSIVE UPDATE: IGN has heard from reliable sources that Tull is downplaying this report. Goyer is in fact on the project, but not only that -- his The Dark Knight co-writer Jonah Nolan will also be scripting Superman: The Man of Steel along with him. Nolan's brother Christopher is expected to only executive-produce, and not direct, the film. That said, he will be "hands-on" as a producer. Since the Superman film is under the gun because of the ongoing legal entanglements involving the property, Warner Bros. wants the pair to get started on their script on the double.

Our sources add that Warners is confident in the early work that Goyer and Jonah Nolan have done so far on Batman 3, and that as a result Superman has now taken on a higher priority status at the studio than it had since Superman Returns was released.

IGN.com

If the reports are true, I really hope that Batman 3 doesn't take the backseat to this film with Jonah Nolan being brought in to co-write. Confident or not, don't split your attention away from one proven franchise to jump start one no one has really cared about in over 20 years.

If the reports are true, I really hope that Batman 3 doesn't take the backseat to this film with Jonah Nolan being brought in to co-write. Confident or not, don't split your attention away from one proven franchise to jump start one no one has really cared about in over 20 years.

Knowing how fast Chris, Jonah, and David work together, they probably already have a Batman 3 script pretty much finished. I wouldn't worry too much about that. As for this news, I'm thrilled we're actually getting a new Superman movie and that it has great writers, such as Goyer and Nolan. I'd almost lost hope...but it's happening. :) Also, I wouldn't say no one has cared for the Superman franchise in over 20 years. It's just that Superman Returns was a lackluster film...depressing even. We need a Superman movie to remind the general public of how great the character is and why the fans love him as much as we do. Also, give us some action this time. You know...like Superman punching Brainiac's metallic jaw...really hard. There is so much potential on film for Superman that no one has ever tapped into.

The rumor is that Nolan and Goyer have already finished their first draft for Batman 3. I wouldn't worry about them focusing on Superman. As for people not caring. You can't say they don't when a "lackluster movie with no action", as described by a lot of people, made almost 400$ million worldwide. Stay true to the character and like Mercury said, let's see some real action. Have Superman punch Brainiac through buildings.

Main stream movie audiences gave the WB $391,081,192 worldwide, $200,081,192 domestic for Superman Returns. That's very good interest and made more than Batman Begins. And while the film wasn't awesome for action and had it's problems (peeping tom Clarky, dead beat daddy Superman, Super-Asthma Boy), it was solid enough. The ONLY financial negative to Superman Returns was it having to dealing with a budget that was ballooned to $270 million dollars due to WBs absolutely moronic pay or play deals and other dumb attempts to get a Superman movie made since 1999. Superman Returns success is tainted not because of the film, but because of prior development failures affecting it's budget and those things bringing it's net profit way down.

Main stream movie audiences gave the WB $391,081,192 worldwide, $200,081,192 domestic for Superman Returns. That's very good interest and made more than Batman Begins.

If we go by Nightly logic and only count domestic, Batman Begins beat Superman Returns by $5M. Internationally, it wasn't too far off. $20M. Batman Begins had more going against it with a ****ty predecessor not quickly forgotten. I wish sales figures for DVD, Blu-ray and PPV were easily accessible.. I'm not sure about SR but I do recall reading that has made a lot for Warner Home Video and is a strong catalog title for WB.

But WB has always faced the conundrum that Superman IS the go-to icon for "superhero." He'll always bee the most famous and easily recognized, while Batman has always been cooler and hasn't really left the mainstream since Burton's film.

Have to agree with Torch. You can't look at those types of ticket sales and say no one is interested or even that only DC hardcores are. Also, let's not forget that Smallville - despite it's flaws - has been able to stay on the air for eight seasons and may last even longer. Hell, I've never really even liked Superman that much and I've watched it since the beginning.

Superman is the one comic book hero that nearly everyone knows. I mean everyone. You, your kid, your parents - hell, your grand-parents! He's remained relevant enough to stay in the social consciousness for four generations.

As I said, I'm not actually a huge fan, but I have to respect the longevity of the character. :yes:

http://www.superherohype.com/news/supermannews.php?id=9111

The Nolans Directing The Man of Steel & Justice League?

Source:IESB February 26, 2010

IESB has posted some interesting rumors about DC Entertainment's upcoming slate. The site says it's all still unconfirmed, but these items could potentially be part of the announcements that the studio is expected to make soon.

Yesterday, the site reported that Greg Berlanti, co-producer and co-writer of Martin Campbell's Green Lantern, is the frontrunner to direct Warner Bros.' The Flash.

Earlier this week, it was reported that David Goyer will be writing the new Superman movie, The Man of Steel. What we didn't catch then is that Jonah Nolan, who together with Goyer is writing the script for Christopher Nolan's next Batman movie, is also on board to co-write the Superman film. Of course, this follows the news from earlier this month that Chris Nolan will play a "godfather" role in getting The Man of Steel going.

Which brings us to the really interesting parts. IESB is saying that Chris Nolan is mentoring the movie because his brother Jonah Nolan may make his directorial debut on The Man of Steel.

Adding to that, the site says that there's a possibility that Chris Nolan will direct the Justice League movie after The Man of Steel and next Batman movie are released.

True or not, we think we'll be hearing official word soon.

This all sounds too good to be true. I won't get my hopes up, but....damn...if this is real, I just might die a happy man.

Not a bad set of rumors, except the Justice League thing. Forget. About. It. It'll turn out retarded. So will Avengers. Just too much **** to cram into a movie.

I have to somewhat disagree with this. In general I agree with this. Having so many characters in a movie like that couldn't work. What could make the Avengers work is that all of the characters are established in their own movies so there won't be any time spent on establishing each character. They could, more or less, get directly into the story. Dont get me wrong, it could end up a cluster****. Just saying the way they are doing it could work. It could never work if they just had a new stand alone Avengers movie. Doing it this way gives it a chance.

;)

Yeah because X-Men made no money and was totally retarded too. And hmmm... let's think of other movies with a big cast of characters to focus on... Star Trek, Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Watchmen. Those movies all suck and never do well. No one could possibly handle an action adventure movie of fantastic proportions that has more than 2 main characters! It just can't be done... too many people to focus on, too much unbelievable action to budget for and speaking of unbelievable action... anyone seen Avatar?! That movie sucks so much, it was in and out of a theater faster than I can sneeze.. How could people stand for that much fantasticness on screen?1 And in live action?! It would surely bomb. It's just ridiculous to even try.

X-Men and Fantastic Four and the like are different. They were created as a team, and the characters specifically compliment each other. I'm sorry but as much as I love seeing Superman and Batman team up in comics, that's where it should stay, because its not going to compliment well on-screen. Nolan's Batman is self-contained, and is not meant for an expanded universe of superheroes. That's the problem, not that an ensemble movie with a large cast cannot be done, but that certain characters just won't compliment the other and it'll become a cluster-****.

I stand by my believe that any attempt will end up insanely campy and lame.

That's cool, with me i think its just a combination that I still hold comics in such a high regard, combined with the fact that I'm wary of most Hollywood filmmakers these days, that I tend to lean towards the cynical side of these projects more. Being a killjoy and pissing in the corn flakes definitely isn't the intent, though that's how it comes out. :lol: I'll root for any project to be good that actually gets off the ground, of course.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.