Superman: Man of Steel

lovecraftian

The site says the listing includes the following synopsis:

"Ramping up the action of its esteemed predecessor, the sequel to Superman Returns promises to raise the stakes and take the audience to heights of action that no other superhero movie can achieve."

I like how this is their idea of a film's "synopsis." No plot, story, or character of any kind.

All you Wachowski Bros. haters can breathe a sigh of relief. All of it was b.s.

Butbutbutbutbut it came from AICN! I thought they were, like, gospel!

(My reaction: DULL SURPRISE.)

Actually, Boba, the fact that it has taken Clark so long to become Superman on Smallville has been a point of both frustration and anticipation for all fans of the character. The "no tights, no flights" angle grew tiresome a loooong time ago. I still like the show, but I'm ready for Clark to put on the costume, stop whining, and become Superman...as are most fans of the show.

If they'd jusy dump the whining part, I'd be 200% more patient with the show.

The site says the listing includes the following synopsis:

"Ramping up the action of its esteemed predecessor, the sequel to Superman Returns promises to raise the stakes and take the audience to heights of action that no other superhero movie can achieve."

I like how this is their idea of a film's "synopsis." No plot, story, or character of any kind.

Maybe this is damage control meant to persuade us naysayers who're afraid the next one will be even more of a character piece, with absolutely no punching, no heavy lifting, no eye-related powers, and flights staying well below posted speed limits.

Jumping back to Doomsday...I don't see why this story cannot be adapted to film and made to work.

How else are you going to get somebody that can go face to face w/ Superman in a physical confrontation?

Your only other options...

- Metallo, facing a kryptonite-weakened Superman

- Brainiac, possibly in his badass robot form, matching Supermans strength using Kryptonian technology

- Darkseid...but is it possible to go there in a movie adaptation? Yes...but not the right way, IMO. Too much interdimensional stuff and whatnot

You never really ahve to explain where Doomsday comes from. You can hint at a few possible origins, but leave it to the imagination...this makes it easier to accept the possibility of him being Supermans physical equal.

• 11 months later...

As long as he doesn't direct it, that's fine. But apart of me wonders if they'll figure out in development of someway threading this new Superman film continuity in with Nolan's super realistic and gritty Gotham City. I'd love to see World's Finest and the Justice League if all of this is done right. I'd also love to see John Hamm as Superman regardless of whether he played Lex in an online parody, Seth!

Maybe that's one of the reasons they brought Nonal. Maybe we'll see Wayne in the Superman reboot. Either way, he definitely won't be directing it. I really want Routh back as Superman. It probably won't happen, but I really want it to. He looks a lot better and even more like Superman these days. Anyway...It's good to hear that they're finally doing something. The article says that up until last Summer, they were still trying to figure if they'd do a sequel or not.

I like this news... if Nolan can bring the type of understanding he seems to have about Batman to Superman, meaning hopefully he can understand what makes Superman work as much as he has shown with Batman (sans his and Bale's comments about Robin anyway. :D )

I also hope that this could convince people against it, that World's Finest is the natural progression and that Superman and Batman should in fact meet on the silver screen.

I disagree. I don't think the general audience ever cared about the Hulk. That's why neither Hulk film did good. Hulk made $245 million worldwide, The Incredible Hulk made $263 million and Superman Returns made $391 million, which was more than what Batman Begins made ($372). Plus, a lot of people thought SR was kinda boring and it didn't have enough action. I think a Superman movie done right can be big.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I disagree. I don't think the general audience ever cared about the Hulk. That's why neither Hulk film did good. Hulk made $245 million worldwide, The Incredible Hulk made $263 million and Superman Returns made $391 million, which was more than what Batman Begins made ($372). Plus, a lot of people thought SR was kinda boring and it didn't have enough action. I think a Superman movie done right can be big.

It would have to be a superman reboot because part of the reason the Superman Returns movie did well was curiosity of how well it would do as a quasi sequel to Superman 2. I think it kind of fell flat on its face after the initial curiosity was satisfied after a couple weeks in the box office.

And as for beating Batman Begins, that is not a fair comparison. I think there was a lot of initial confusion in the general public as to whether it was a sequel to the Schumacher films or not.

I think it's a totally fair comparison, specially for the reasons you stated.

And the only reason Superman Returns wasn't considered a success with a 391 million dollar take was because of profit margins and the fact it's budget was huge due to shoulder all the stupid legal fees/pay or play deals and dev costs a decade plus of trying to get a Superman film going created.

If the studio looked at SR honestly they'd see that they have a good enough foundation to build on without having to do yet another reboot. Stories can be written out of Routh's version of Superman that can approach what many people want, meaning those people that pointed out valid things wrong with SR.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Superman just needs to punch stuff really hard and smile while doing it. Whether it is one villain that can stand up to him or a hoard of giant robots on a rampage etc etc, Superman needs more action and less preaching. Clark isn't Jesus.

I wouldn't be interested in seeing that. There is enough mindless FX-enhanced bashing and explosion movies, already. I think if they are going to do a superman movie, there is a lot more that can be done and a lot of good writing to be had.

They should do a reboot.

Remember in the original Superman Movie where teen age Clark travels to the North Pole after his dad died to create the Fortess, and then the next scene, he is fully grown as Christopher Reeve, and is Superman? I've always liked the idea that Superman was the alter ego of Clark Kent, not that Clark Kent was the alter ego of Superman.

That was a gap of 7 or 8 years, at least, and could have been a movie onto itself. I would like to see not an origin movie per se, but maybe something similar to Batman Begins, that begins with Clark leaving Smallville just after he graduates college, then his dad dies, and Clark, grief stricken, decides to travel the world after becoming fully powered. I think that is a part of the Superman story that is not told very much on screen (or not in a good way, if you count the TV show Smallville): Clark traveling the world, finding himself just prior to becoming superman, and trying to deal his new powers and using them to help people anonymously.

I'd like to see something that explains why Superman is motivated to do what he does, and how he chooses to be the ultimate good guy, and why he is not motivated to use his power selfishly. Then, by the end of the movie finally taking up the suit and Superman persona, possibly due to a dangerous villain that puts his family\friends at risk. I think it could work if it was written well and is more character driven, than FX driven.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Can't a movie be character-rich AND action-packed? It seems like too often these days it has to be one or the other. :unimpressed:

And anyone that's watched Smallville the last couple of years knows what Torch means about preaching. That is NOT "character", that's just annoying!

I am not saying be preachy, or EMO. Just make Clark a real person. And there could be plenty of action. someting similar to the feel of Superman: Secret Identity.

I just have not interest in seeing superman kick someone's head in for 2 hours.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.