Superman: Man of Steel

lovecraftian

****ing comic books! COMIC BOOKS. No ****ing I have to call them graphic novels bull**** because it doesn't make me feel like such a geek. COMIC ****ING BOOKS.

Anyone that actually thinks they sound less geeky by saying "graphic novels" is completely lying to themselves.

But at the same time, I think a film version, unless it is animated, owes it to itself to do something different. If they aren't then what is the point? Obviously if it is too much of a departure fanboys bitch-- but I don't get the need to see literal interpretations of comic books when they themselves are constantly being reinvented and retconned.

Me too! +1

I just am tired of the pretentious and obnoxious use of the term graphic novel and the tired reverence of Superman = Jesus etc etc. Superman smiles, Batman doesn't. That's how you approach those franchises' personalities in film form. As for Doomsday, yeah he's a one note nothing. However he can be used and used to awesome effect. Superman doesn't even need to die. It doesn't have to be a literal translation of that story. Nope. It just needs to be true to the characters, the universe and be awesome to watch.

It's a different scenario when you are adapting say... Watchmen. Why? Because that, THOUGH A ****ING COMIC BOOK, is a one shot story. There is nothing else. You want to do a Watchmen movie you do that story and you do your damnedest to be true to it. But yet while you don't have to be literal, you must pay so much more attention to the source.

With Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Spider-Man, Iron Man, the X-Men etc etc all you need to do is get the universe and characters to feel right and make whatever plot you want. Just do it and remember you aren't making Ghandi or Gone With the Wind or Taxi Driver etc etc you are making a ****ing comic book movie. Aim to achieve greatness, for sure, but stop with the pretentiousness about the source.

Actually, that's all the reasons I resent Bryan Singer's effort. He was pretentious about his source, only in this case it was the previous movies. He treated them like some sort of untouchable gem among films, and in order to make a new Superman film, it had to fall in line with those. And I can't stress this enough but I love those original movies probably just as much as he does. He paid too much attention to the previous movies that he was unwilling to try something new. That above all else is why I feel a reboot is necessary. I don't want The Godfather, I too just want a comic book movie, but something new and modern would be nice is all. The throwback idea has already failed, there's no reason to try and adapt around the failure, in my view.

Just tell me its not dark and its abandoning the dated continuity and I'll anticipate it.

I know I said I'd be fine if they brought Routh back for the reboot (and I guess I still would be), but I'd totally understand if they got a new actor for the role, just to avoid confusion for the people who think it's a sequel to Superman Returns. I say cast someone a little older than Reeve and Routh were when they first got the part (mid-30s/early 40s) who looks and acts like Superman, as if he stepped out of the comics. Someone like Jon Hamm from Mad Men, for instance. Also, someone who will treat it as seriously and earnestly as Reeve did. Stick as close as possible to who Superman is. That means no super-stalking, crying, or shying away from the "Truth, Justice and the American Way" credo. Definitely nothing dark, either. This is freakin' Superman. He isn't supposed to be dark. We need a real Superman movie now, more than ever, in this day and age of tortured anti-heroes. Someone to actually look up to and count on to always do what's right, to act like and actually be the good guy.

Look, Superman ain't hard to do. He ain't hard to figure out. Why is WB having such a problem?

From Superman Homepage:

February 19, 2009: Wachowski Movie Rumor Debunked Again

Superman Returns A few days ago HitFix.com posted a report debunking the Ain't It Cool rumor about the Wachowski Brothers taking on the next Superman movie. Now SlashFilm.com also says it's untrue...

Remember that report that showed up on AICN last week claiming that The Wachowski Brothers had been offered a reboot of Superman? Sorry to get you guys all excited but I have just gotten confirmation from two independent sources that the report was completely false. I don’t know if an interview with James McTeigue actually aired on RTL1 or not (I’m guessing not) but The Wachowski Brothers have definitely never had any talks with DC or Warner Bros to helm a Superman film. This is confirmed.

Thanks to Eli Gutierrez for the link to this blog item.

All you Wachowski Bros. haters can breathe a sigh of relief. All of it was b.s.

I've been talking to people at work about Jon Hamm for a while now and no one knows what the Hell I'm talking about. Jackasses won't bother watching Mad Men.

He's also been on a couple of recent episodes of 30 Rock.

Okay, so that's probably even less helpful...

Yeah, even I don't watch 30 Rock (though that may change at some point).

having skipped the entire thread and never read a superman comic in my life, here's my take

supermans a bit gay

he's camp and cheesy by nature

you try to darken him up a bit like most modern superhero films try to and you take away what makes him superman

thats why smallville works

you take out the biggest campest gayest element (ie superman) and you have more freedom to expand

Actually, Boba, the fact that it has taken Clark so long to become Superman on Smallville has been a point of both frustration and anticipation for all fans of the character. The "no tights, no flights" angle grew tiresome a loooong time ago. I still like the show, but I'm ready for Clark to put on the costume, stop whining, and become Superman...as are most fans of the show. As for Superman being "gay," it's clear you don't know much about him. (To be fair, you even admitted as much.) Superman is, quite simply, the coolest superhero ever created. Sure, there have been campy takes on him over the years (Batman too), but, at his most serious comic book form, it doesn't get any better than Superman. He's got an iconic costume (and I mean that sincerely), awesome powers everyone wishes they had, a legendary origin, and, most importantly, he's probably the one true superhero that lives up to the term in its purest form. Superman is the epitome of what it means to be a hero and a good human being, despite not even being human at all. There's nothing campy, cheesy, or "gay" about that. He'll always be my favorite superhero.

I do agree with you about not making Superman dark, though. Superman ain't about darkness. Quite the opposite. Superman is about hope. I want to see a bright, colorful Superman movie with Superman acting like the true hero and leader that he's supposed to be...the same way people regarded Christopher Reeve's portrayal. Say what you will about the Reeve movies, but his Superman was always spot-on...even when the movie he was in was not. Take Superman IV, for example. While many regard it as the worst of all four in that series, Reeve was still great to watch in the role. Remember his speech when he vowed to rid all the world of nuclear weapons? That's Superman to me. Of course, he ultimately learned that it isn't his place to play God, but his presence and portrayal of Superman when he stood before the leaders of the world in that film is the way Superman is supposed to be. Someone who inspires us to be better than what we are and to work together for the greater good.

We need a hero like that now, more than ever...especially after depressing depictions of superheroes in movies like Watchmen.

Will Superman Get Unleashed?

Source:/Film

February 20, 2009

/Film snuck into Legendary Pictures' password protected company site, which lists Superman Unleashed as one of the company's upcoming films in development. Legendary Pictures was one of the companies responsible for bringing director Bryan Singer and Warner Bros. Pictures' Superman Returns to theaters in 2006.

The site says the listing includes the following synopsis:

"Ramping up the action of its esteemed predecessor, the sequel to Superman Returns promises to raise the stakes and take the audience to heights of action that no other superhero movie can achieve."

So will Brandon Routh return as Clark Kent/Superman? Only time will tell...

Um...whaaaaat? So now they might be making a sequel to Returns...again? They can't make up their minds! Or somebody's giving false information. Eh...I'm fine either way. I don't care if it's a sequel or a reboot. I just want another Superman film.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.