Superman: Man of Steel

lovecraftian

• 1 month later...

According to the Superman Homepage, it looks like Brandon Routh will return for the "reboot."

October 9, 2008 6:38pm EST

There's been much speculation over the last month or so regarding whether or not Brandon Routh would be retained in the role of Superman for the next movie, seeing as how Warner Bros. has apparently decided to "reintroduce" the character rather than continue with a sequel to "Superman Returns".

LatinoReview.com has posted a report claiming that Paul Levitz, president of DC Comics, told them that Brandon Routh has had meetings both in offices in New York and Los Angeles to talk about the next movie.

At first I thought it was the Apple Martini I was drinking but I soon realized that I just heard a bombshell go off in my brain! Brandon? He did say Brandon Routh was coming around talking about Superman! Why the hell would they be talking to Brandon if he was not going to be part of the reboot? Because he's still in the mix!!!

The truth of the matter is that the way Mr. Levitz made it seem is that they love Brandon as Clark Kent and that he's just a great guy.

Apparently the hold up at the moment is Warner Bros. concentrating on getting Chris Nolan to commit to a third Batman film before pushing forward with Superman.

As of now just a few moments ago another inside source confirmed that yes they are waiting for Chris Nolan to sign the deal with the next Batman, and that they want him to commit to a July 2011 release. If that happens then the following superhero films will be released.

Green Lantern Summer 2010

Batman 3 Summer 2011

New Superman reboot Summer 2012

Remember, all the above is just speculation on behalf of LatinoReview.com. Nothing has officially been announced in regards to Brandon Routh or a release date.

I think this is a good decision, if true. There were things I would've changed about Superman Returns, but Brandon Routh was not one of them. He was excellent in the role. Here's hoping this "reboot" will do Superman justice this time around. Nice to know Routh isn't out of the picture just yet.

I actually think this would be a pretty substantial mistake. And for reasons that are no fault of Routh's. The studio made a firm decision to reboot the franchise...so market it that way. If you want the people who didn't like/didn't see Superman Returns to know that this film is starting over from scratch, why cast someone in the same role that was in the film that you're trying to move away from? It'll just confuse people and make them think it is indeed a sequel, and even for those who do realize its a reboot, they'll still have the previous film on their mind the entire time. I'm just of the mind of make a decision and stand by that decision. If its a reboot you want, reboot it in every facet of the game.

I actually think this would be a pretty substantial mistake. And for reasons that are no fault of Routh's. The studio made a firm decision to reboot the franchise...so market it that way. If you want the people who didn't like/didn't see Superman Returns to know that this film is starting over from scratch, why cast someone in the same role that was in the film that you're trying to move away from? It'll just confuse people and make them think it is indeed a sequel, and even for those who do realize its a reboot, they'll still have the previous film on their mind the entire time. I'm just of the mind of make a decision and stand by that decision. If its a reboot you want, reboot it in every facet of the game.

:thumbsup:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Rumor: Wachowski Bros. to direct the Superman reboot?

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/40084

Rumor... a doozy... Wachowskis... McTeague... PLASTIC MAN, SUPERMAN Trilogy & Singer on LOGAN'S RUN?!?!?!

Hey folks, Harry here... Ballack has been a reliable and constant source of geek rumor news online for many sites, including AICN. This time he's come in with a big one. Now, these are the sorts of rumors that only time confirms, because when you contact folks involved, you get non-denial denials - and no comments. The reason is this. Until paperwork is signed and sealed, these are musings of history... Moments where this is what is going on behind the scenes - but let's see if they make their way to being more than musings, but actual reality.

Now, I have read at least one version of the Wachowski's PLASTIC MAN and have seen the storyboards for that film... it was an incredible superhero period film noir that was absolutely breathtaking waiting to become a living LB COLE work of cinema. As for the Wachowskis and SUPERMAN... well, that could be super! Here's Ballack with the full report...

Hi Guys,

Ballack here, its been a while since we last communicated, however, i thought this time round I'd send you some info instead of our friends at Latino Review. You may recall a few months back i broke the news of Arnold's comeback in T4 at LatinoReview.

Anyways, here in Berlin i had the good fortune of watching a year in review on RTL1. The show was about upcoming movies in 2009. There was a segment on Ninja Assassin a film being directed by James McTeigue and being produced by Hollywood heavy weight Joel Silver. McTeigue spoke about filming in Germany and the many highlights of shooting in a huge city like Berlin. The interviewer spoke about future plans and James spilled the following tidbets!

- Ninja Assassin is locked and complete. Awaiting a suitable marketing strategy and release from WB. Looking likely to be a late summer release.

- Action scenes are absolutely brutal, unbelievable vision from the Wachowski's in blocking the fights with the Hong Kong stunt team.

- Spoke about the benefits of tax breaks received from the German and British Governments in making the film.

BRACE YOURSELVES FOR THIS....

- McTeigue confirmed that Plastic Man was the next project in the pipeline for the Wachowski's and he had been signed on to provide Second Unit support. Says the movie has been delayed indefinitely due to a major shake up of projects at WB.

- Bryan Singer has refused to undertake a re-boot of the Superman franchise and has left the Executives at WB with no choice but to take a fresh creative direction.

This is it....

- He stated the Wachowski Brothers had been approached to re-boot the franchise as a trilogy and they are currently reviewing their options as its like being asked to take the final play in a superbowl final. Says if they do agree, he will likely either succumb to providing second unit support on the movie or will champion the directorship of Plastic Man - He started to giggle as he stated its like a young child for the Brothers and they wont give that up easily.

- Says, the very thought of the brothers making a superman movie is unbelievable as they have grown up in the world of comic books and they would be ideal for the project.

- Stated that Bryan Singer is looking to move on to Logan's Run a movie to be produced by Joel Silver.

Hope i have remembered everything.

Good luck in the future guys.

Ballack....

Good news? Bad news? "Meh" news? Personally, I don't know what to think just yet. I love the first Matrix. I even enjoyed Speed Racer for what it was. Honestly, though, I never pictured them taking on Superman. We'll see.

Count me as "meh", only because right now I'm thinking this falls in line WB's brilliant logistics in that every comic franchise they decide to make into a movie has to be made dark like Batman. I'm not saying that the only thing the Wachowski's can pull off is dark, but at the same time they do excel at it, so I have a hard time believing a Matrix/V For Vendetta feel is what WB wants in the new Superman, in which case the whole project could just eat my ass.

But that's a whole lot of maybes to have any sort of real feeling, negative or good, just yet.

Well I liked what they did with Speed Racer regardless of what the critics thought and I think they can easily adapt to what they need to do for Superman. Though I don't know what the big deal is, I think you can easily make a decent sequel out of Returns and get away with what Singer did. I'm not a huge Superman fan so I can't really delve into what I would do but the look and vibe of Singer's film could have been set up for the world of a Justice League film and they could have used Man of Steel to set up a duology of sorts where a great conflict arises in film two, which I thought they could have titled World's Finest and that worked (in television terms) as a back door pilot for the Justice League. Only without Batman. Just set up the core group of Flash, Wonder Woman, etc.

Rumor: Wachowski Bros. to direct the Superman reboot?

Good news? Bad news? "Meh" news? Personally, I don't know what to think just yet. I love the first Matrix. I even enjoyed Speed Racer for what it was. Honestly, though, I never pictured them taking on Superman. We'll see.

Those hacks should not touch Superman. If they end up doing it, here's hoping for the biggest bomb in film history.

**** a reboot. Give Routh another chance with new blood at director, writer etc etc. If the new blood is the Ws and Millar or Morrison ... or Millar AND Morrison then all the better. Just give Routh another chance I say. Build from what we got in Returns. Routh's cast of the franchise is still malleable / serviceable / savable.

**** a reboot. Give Routh another chance with new blood at director, writer etc etc. If the new blood is the Ws and Millar or Morrison ... or Millar AND Morrison then all the better. Just give Routh another chance I say. Build from what we got in Returns. The Routh's casting of the franchise is still malleable/serviceable/savable.

Score.

I know man, I was just fooling around. :)

In all seriousness I still disagree though, Routh's Superman WAS a sequel in of itself, Singer can deny it all he wants but the proof is in the pudding. I think it needed a reboot from the start, and I don't see much point in making the same mistake twice. If there is a place for Superman on the big screen for this generation, we'll find out by giving this generation a modern version of the character. If it doesn't work out it doesn't work out. Don't force-feed a 70's feel down their throats, it didn't work the first time and it won't work a second time. Now sure they could go the direction of a new feel with Routh and call it a sequel, but it'd be in the same vein that Batman Forever was a sequel to Batman Returns. Same continuity, yet feels like a completely different world. Why bother, just reboot. Routh was alright, but I don't think he was that good where it'll be a crime against nature to move on.

Here is my idea:

I think the next series of superman movies should be a total and complete reboot. New actors, and all. It should not have any connection to the Salkind\Donner films, or Superman Returns, or Smallville.

I think the best version of Superman was the 1986-1996 Byrne reboot Superman, and while not perfect, was by far, the most realistic and to me, most interesting. I liked the fact that DC had the balls to have a superman that was grittier, and de-powered, and even humanized. Instead of Clark Kent being the alter ego of Superman, Superman was the alter Ego of Clark Kent.

I agree with Tank on this part: Lex Luthor should be a villainous Captain of Industry. Sort of Dick Cheney-like and, that no one knows he is a villain, as depicted in Post Crisis Superman Mythos. Perhaps an inventor who owns his corporation, maybe like a Nolan Bruce Wayne, gone evil. Maybe even Lexcorp could be depicted as a rival to Wayne Industries, in dialogue.

Generally speaking, I think the first movie should follow a plot similar to the 6 issue Man of Steel reboot of Superman.

I think that in the first movie, there should be some origin back story done via flash backs, like BB, but no more that 10-15 minutes of the movie. I think it should only be depicted as from the point when Superman crashes on earth on. I also think that for the first movie, even Superman doesn't know his complete origin. We all know Superman's origin, and we don't need it rehashed, but this is also could be a good plot device for a later movie, when he finds out the rest of the story. All superman should know about himself in the first movie is that is he has powers, and is raised by his "dad" to use them for good. Maybe he even thinks he is a human, and was a government experiment, like from Nasa or Cadmus, or something.

The first part of the movie should be Clark traveling the world (maybe as a reporter ?) after graduating college, and has a couple flash backs to child hood where he remembers how he is different from humans, and has a couple adventures, without the costume.

The second part should be an adventure\adventures that leads him to move to Metropolis to work for the Daily Planet. He should come to the conclusion to take up the costume and secret identity. During this part, he also meets the Lois, Jimmy, and Lex Luthor.

The third part should involve some sort of struggle where it ultimately leads to initial showdown with Lex Luthor, where Superman ruins Lex's "squeaky clean image," and exposes his criminal activity to the public (like Byrne's reboot). Maybe Superman foils a plot by Luthor, to help terrorists blow up a building or something else evil, in order to kick off a war, where the US government would buy arms from his business. Luthor even is put in jail at the end, thus making Supes his enemy for life.

The second and third movies should be based on Death of Superman where he fights Doomsday, is "killed," and some elements of the Reign of Supermen are incorporated.

I would like to see a Superman Movie with Braniac as the villain, and if there were a movie that follows the Reign of the Supermen story, maybe the Cyborg Superman could turn out to be Brainiac.

I would also love to see a Superman VS Darkseid movie.

Now, I have read at least one version of the Wachowski's PLASTIC MAN and have seen the storyboards for that film... it was an incredible superhero period film noir that was absolutely breathtaking waiting to become a living LB COLE work of cinema.

The part where Harry confused LB Cole with Jack Cole is when I stopped reading altogether.

I'll believe it when I see it.

I wouldn't have much of a problem with a film being made using the Byrne-era Superman as a blueprint. It'd be kinda funny though considering that Superman was retconned out this decade and they've been inching him back towards more Silver Age roots ever since (like all of DC's heroes). But I don't want to see the Death storyline brought into a movie. I can't imagine it coming off as any less than a clunky mess and there's really no value in it. The only value in doing it in the comics was completely unplanned as it was just supposed to be a temporary filler storyline that the mainstream media took way too seriously. The media created the illusion of shock value by making people think it would stick somehow, which created a big event. As much as I still enjoy the story, the real substance was in the aftermath and Reign, not the actual death, and you can't cram the stuff which made that cool into one movie (considering one movie culminates in his death and the next his return).

I never liked the idea even in the earliest days, but admittedly there might have been something to capitalize from in the death storyline when it was still in fairly recent memory, back during the infamous Superman Reborn days in the late nineties, but to me that even that ship sailed a long time ago.

well maybe the death\reign story is impractical, when you put it like that, but any movie about Superman, IMHO, should not have silver age elements. Too cartoonish, IMHO.

I'll say this about Doomsday and it's the same thing I say about Robin in Batman and Batman meeting Superman... anyone that doesn't want to see this happen can get the **** out of production town and shut the **** up to the tenth power x infinity. I want Doomsday. I want Superman meeting Batman. I want Superman punching stuff so hard glass shatters in buildings on the other side of the city. I want high action super punching, Lois loving, Lex looting, super peril. I want Batman putting Superman in his place. I want Superman knocking that arrogant smugness out of Batman. ****ing comic books! COMIC BOOKS. No ****ing I have to call them graphic novels bull**** because it doesn't make me feel like such a geek. COMIC ****ING BOOKS. My Superman punches stuff hard, preaches to the villain why he had to do it and smiles for the camera afterwards. Oh and kill that ****ing bastard Superboy. You want some grit then I'll give you that. There is the grit. Superboy dies. Superman punches stuff really hard and you pee on yourself just a little bit from teh awesome.

I'll say this about Doomsday and it's the same thing I say about Robin in Batman and Batman meeting Superman... anyone that doesn't want to see this happen can get the **** out of production town and shut the **** up to the tenth power x infinity. I want Doomsday. I want Superman meeting Batman. I want Superman punching stuff so hard glass shatters in buildings on the other side of the city. I want high action super punching, Lois loving, Lex looting, super peril. I want Batman putting Superman in his place. I want Superman knocking that arrogant smugness out of Batman. ****ing comic books! COMIC BOOKS. No ****ing I have to call them graphic novels bull**** because it doesn't make me feel like such a geek. COMIC ****ING BOOKS. My Superman punches stuff hard, preaches to the villain why he had to do it and smiles for the camera afterwards. Oh and kill that ****ing bastard Superboy. You want some grit then I'll give you that. There is the grit. Superboy dies. Superman punches stuff really hard and you pee on yourself just a little bit from teh awesome.

Yep even if Supes never meets Batman at least have the rest of what Torch said.

I agree with you 100%, Torch. I want real comic book movies from creators/directors/writers/actors who actually have a genuine love for comic books. The term "graphic novel" can go to hell and die. That's what I love about John Favreau and Iron Man. He actually wants to create a fun cinematic Marvel Universe where superheroes interact with each other. Plus, Favreau's a real fan. DC/Warner Bros. should learn from this. Hire comic book writers to write comic book movies. Hire people who actually have a real passion for these characters and where they come from.

awesome, all of it

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.