Superman: Man of Steel

lovecraftian

I have a question... The flashback shot of Clark Kent playing superhero... WHO WAS HE PRETENDING TO BE?

This is my #1 and biggest issue with the movie.

I'm willing to forgive the inconsistencies and nitpicks since this is, you know, a work of fiction. Plus, it was way better than the last like...5? 6? Supes movies.

Overall, I liked it, and we'll buy the Blu-ray and watch it over and over again for about a month until something newer and shinyer comes along.

Henry Cavill is super hot.

Has ANYONE addressed this:

How the heck did the suit he picked out of the closet fit perfectly?!? Kal is supposed to be the first naturally conceived and born baby in eons of Krypton history. So how did whoever know exactly how tall and what build Kal was going to be at 33? He could have turned into a fat Kim Kardashian. Then what was going to wear eh?

How the heck did the suit he picked out of the closet fit perfectly?!? Kal is supposed to be the first naturally conceived and born baby in eons of Krypton history. So how did whoever know exactly how tall and what build Kal was going to be at 33? He could have turned into a fat Kim Kardashian. Then what was going to wear eh?

I was too busy puking, but yeah... the suit was on the space ship, right? So, Jor-El made the suit before he sent Kal on his rocket ride? What? Was that for his Kryptonian graduation party or what? Or did he just predict that Kal would eventually need a uniform for his forthcoming tenure as overlord of humanity?

• 4 months later...

so i finally watched this last night on google play. overall, kinda disappointed. look, i don't mind a flashback scene here and there, but i feel like that's what this movie was made up of. it was just all over the place. i definitely have high hopes for the next superman movie though. or batman vs superman, whatever. at least the origin of superman is out, doesn't need to be explained and the next movie can be just pure awesomeness.

I was too busy puking, but yeah... the suit was on the space ship, right? So, Jor-El made the suit before he sent Kal on his rocket ride? What? Was that for his Kryptonian graduation party or what? Or did he just predict that Kal would eventually need a uniform for his forthcoming tenure as overlord of humanity?

Are you guys complaining about the lack of disbelief in a fictional story of an alien being sent to Earth with superpowers?

I'm not trying to invalidate your points, I'm just saying you MUST let some stuff go in order to enjoy a comic book movie or else why bother trying? We KNOW there are no Kryptonian tailors on the upper-west side of Metropolis. He has to get clothes from somewhere and the threads at Walmart won't last long at him flying at 1000mph through volcano. How does Superman wipe his ass? Surely Charmin hasn't come up with a toilet paper that would withstand the pressure required to clean the poop out of of Kal-El's super crusty anus? Enjoy yourself and don't focus on the details too much.

How does Superman wipe his ass? Surely Charmin hasn't come up with a toilet paper that would withstand the pressure required to clean the poop out of of Kal-El's super crusty anus?

Superman doesn't wipe his ass. Superman doesn't poop or pee. His super body doesn't produce waste material of any kind 1 --- it simply absorbs whatever minute amounts of energy it may require from the food he ingests and completely destroys the rest.

Enjoy yourself and don't focus on the details too much.

Good advice!

1 Not strictly true. Superman sweats, cries, and his hair and nails grow.

Superman doesn't wipe his ass. Superman doesn't poop or pee. His super body doesn't produce waste material of any kind 1 --- it simply absorbs whatever minute amounts of energy it may require from the food he ingests and completely destroys the rest.

If that's canon, I'm super jealous. I would LOVE not to poop.

Are you guys complaining about the lack of disbelief in a fictional story of an alien being sent to Earth with superpowers?

This is Nolanverse-esque Superman, so its details need to (are forced to?} make more practical, real-world sense.

Now, if the ship was scanning him as he arrived it could be, then, that it crafted a proper Kryptonian suit for him.

Uch. You guys. The suit wasn't made when Kal was a baby. Remember that he gets the suit in the ancient Scoutship of Solitude and it was presumably bespoke manufactured by the ship on the spot thanks to the Jor-El robotghostkey only once it had interfaced with the ship's systems after Clark plugged him in.

This is only in the movie, though. In the real story Superman's alien parents wrap him in a blanket before they send him to Earth. That blanket is the nascent form of the synthskinsuit (first depicted in the Byrne & Mignola origin story) which all Kryptonians wear in adulthood and it is a mutable, adaptable, and self-repairing pseudosolid fabric capable of being shaped and tailored in numerous ways. It's modified by Martha and Jonathan Kent to act as a romper playsuit for Kal during his toddler years (when, in occasional moments of superpowerhood, the sort of mundane clothing they previously dressed him in is torn to shreds by sudden bursts of speed or strength) and once his powers come into their early maturity as Superboy it is used to make his suit, cape, boots, and belt which he wears from then on.

Guest El Chalupacabra

The thing I thought was odd about Zod was that here, he had the chance to rule Earthlings without super powers unopposed, yet he wanted to remake Krypton, and genetically engineer a bunch of Kryptonians who would have the same powers as him, and potentially overthrow him.

If that's canon, I'm super jealous. I would LOVE not to poop.
The magazine business is kept alive by our time in the bathroom.

Guest El Chalupacabra

So I just watched this today due to Sunday afternoon boredom, and I gotta say, man it kinda sucked. Superman Returns was better.

Anyone else with me on this?

I wouldn't say it sucked, but it definitely was a big disappointment. Definitely nothing memorable, or at least no more memorable than Transformers 2 & 3, which isn't saying much.

I disliked returns when it came out, but upon rewatchings, my attitude has softened quite a bit. I ALMOST agree with you that it is better than Man of Steel, but not quite. Maybe at best, equal to it.

I'm only about a third of the way through, watching during lunch at work, so I can't say definitely, but so far I agree. Man of Steel suffers from having an awful director trying to make a good movie, whereas Returns was a great director trying to give his childhood a blow job.

I have a question... The flashback shot of Clark Kent playing superhero... WHO WAS HE PRETENDING TO BE?

I imagine there are comic book super-heroes in the MoS universe. Smallville had the Warrior Angel comic book, for example (character wore a red cape).

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.