Superman: Man of Steel

lovecraftian

Guest El Chalupacabra

Bridges as Stane was his last role where he wasn't the Dude. Crazyheart, Tron, Open Road-- any speech he's given... all Dude. He's an awesome guy, and I think hes great-- but he's become the dude.

I know Marlon Brando left large shoes to fill, but do you mean that is all you see him as, or all he is capable of acting as, anymore? If the former, I can see what you mean though I could see him in a serious role personally, if the latter, I think if for enough money, he would put the bong down, shave his face, and be able to pull off Jor El. And if not him, Daniel Day Lewis definitely could be an awesome Jor El.

I know that is all a moot point now. But you know, if one or both of those guys were the villain in Man of Steel 2 (if 1 does well).

Trailer looks good, but then Returns had one of the best trailers ever.

This is very true. Returns wasn't totally horrible, though. The only real stinker for me about that film was Supes being a dead beat dad. Had that sub plot not been there, it would have been a better rmovie.

I agree with all of the Internet that this trailer looks quite good.

Take Mark Waid's Toughest Superman Quiz -- Ever!

I got 3/10. Check spoiler box for which ones and why I should REALLY have gotten 4 and a half :

I got the Lara's maiden name question, Lana Lang's mother's maiden name, and correctly identified Jax-Ur as the first criminal exiled to the Phantom Zone and his crime of moon-blowing-up. I feel that, in all fairness, Kenny Braverman is an appropriate Post-Crisis answer to 9 and that my guess of "Us do opposite! Us hate beauty! Us love ugliness!" deserves partial credit for 10.

Also, I thought of five questions that are EVEN HARDER than Mark Waid's :

1) What was the name of Superman's paternal Kryptonian grandfather?

2) Supergirl was briefly married to which citizen of Argo City?

3) What was the (original, comics, Pre-Crisis) crime for which General Zod was sentenced to the Phantom Zone?

4) Superman's one-time girlfriend from Atlantis was Lori Lemaris. What was the name of Supergirl's off again / on again boyfriend from Atlantis?

5) Superboy had a special radio lamp in his bedroom that would blink when certain people were trying to get in contact with him. Name three of the people/institutions who had the frequency.

Answers :

1) Seyg-El --- named for Joe Jerry Siegel, Superman's co-creator 2) Tor-An, a Phantom Zone villain who pretended to be reformed and was paroled BUT IT WAS ALL A CLEVER RUSE 3)Trying to make himself dictator of Krypton using an army of imperfect duplicates 4) Jerro the mer-boy 5) did you choose any three among the choices of the President, the Pentagon, Police Chief Parker of Smallville, or Professor Lang? BECAUSE IF SO YOU ARE CORRECT

Er, what supermarket sells the razors he shaves with?

K-Mart...the K stands for Krypton. :D *rimshot* Thank you folks, I'll be here all week. I did see one time on "Lois and Clark" that Superman uses his heat vision and mirror to shave.

I am surprised Daniel-Day Lewis or Jeff Bridges weren't offered the role.

I couldn't imagine Daniel-Day Lewis in a movie like this. I think Crowe will be fine as Jor-El. I am personally having a hard time seeing Costner as Jonathan Kent, but I will go into this movie with an open mind.

• 3 weeks later...

I am super excited...lol.

I am obviously loving the score as heard in trailer #3, and it was a huge selling point for me. If that turns out to be Superman's main theme for this movie and any others to follow, I will be very pleased. Looking forward to more of the score coming out, and yes - going to see this on opening night.

I've always been a Marvel guy, with Batman being the only DC character I really like. Especially haven't even been a big superman fan. Zack Snyder misses way more than he hits for me, he's a style over substance sort of guy.

All that said, the last trailer was pretty amazing. Superman is THE icon for all superheroes, but I can count on one hand the amount of times he's been used in a story I thought worked. There's a part of me that really wants this movie to do well, crush the summer box office and help WB gets it's **** together with their superheroes.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't even... I am really trying not to get my hopes up because Zack Snyder. Because Superman-- but this is looking so cool.

I read Snyder recently saying that they approached the story as a first-contact story, to which i say-- never been done so I'm totally aboard.

I'm right there with ya. Superman pretty much bores me, but this one seems pretty good.

But my boys are super excited. In fact, Noah spent the first half of Star Trek: Into Darkness thinking we were seeing Superman. Whenever Cumberbatch was laying waste to the Klingon's Noah kept telling us that he was Superman, and asking where his cape was.

I'm just sick of Superman origin stories. We all know the ****ing origin story by now! WHAT ELSE YA GOT?!?

I think the perception is that this is necessary to establish that film's own identity.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I'm just sick of Superman origin stories. We all know the ****ing origin story by now! WHAT ELSE YA GOT?!?

I think the perception is that this is necessary to establish that film's own identity.

Yeah, but one of the clever things Batman 1989 did an origin that was a brief flash back, but Bats was already in action. It was more an origin story for the Joker, really. I think Supes can afford that type of origin treatment, but will wait until I see this new movie, before condemning it.

• 2 weeks later...

Good to hear. And to be fair, the reviews are looking awfully similar to Watchmen, another Synder product. And I loved that one. Going into this with an open mind. Very excited. I haven't watched a trailer or an advertisement since the first trailer.

Read a few reviews and am very happy! The mixed reviews are not that critical as far as my expectations of the film are concerned. Just some old school desire to see the humour from the Christopher Reeve films. But that suited that era, not this I think.

Room for both of course, but MoS looks to be bang on for a 2013 audience.

I thought Man of Steel was really good. Now I know, you'd be hard pressed to find a post of me hating on a movie after seeing it, but I really thought this was good.

Not a plot-related spoiler, but just in case:

I was little bummed there was an absence of "Kneel before Zod!"

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.