Superman: Man of Steel

lovecraftian

Spacey did a great Hackman impression. But he did fit the part more than Bosworth or Langella or that little runt playing Jimmy Olsen. Why in the blue hell would anybody ask Frank Langella to fill Jackie Cooper's comedic shoes? I'm sure Langella's a nice guy but he's about as funny as Christopher Lee.

Thank god this is an origin story. You try the 007 approach with Superman and you end up with dumb ideas such as the Superkid and Lois Lane playing hard to get. To hell with that. It's reassuring to see hardcore 007ers such as THT and company warming to the idea of another origin story. I respect the desire to see 2 complete hours of super-punching but if it comes with the condition of superkids and the like, is it really worth it? Hopefully this new movie can work.

I also think she could do the fast talking Lane persona I love, which was most "recently" embodied by someone not even playing Lois... Jennifer Jason Leigh in the Hudsucker Proxy.

YEAH. And that's sorta kinda the voice used for Lois in the recent Batman show with Superman yes!

And and and : when she plays Amelia Earhart in the Night at the Museum sequel (which is good and so is the original) she does that His Girl Friday voice a lot too!

• 2 weeks later...
Superman Title, Villain Announced

Michael Shannon cast as General Zod in Man of Steel.

Warner Bros. Pictures and Legendary Pictures announced today that Michael Shannon will star in the role of General Zod in director Zack Snyder's new Superman film, titled Man of Steel.

Snyder stated, "Zod is not only one of Superman's most formidable enemies, but one of the most significant because he has insights into Superman that others don't. Michael is a powerful actor who can project both the intelligence and the malice of the character, making him perfect for the role."

As General Zod, Shannon will go toe-to-toe with Henry Cavill, who plays the new Clark Kent/Superman in the film. The main cast also includes Amy Adams as Lois Lane, and Diane Lane and Kevin Costner as Martha and Jonathan Kent.

IGN.com

I'm holding out hope for Man of Steel. I'm certainly not going to condemn it before I see it. Say what you will about any of Zack Snyder's other movies, but Watchmen is terrific. Also, bear in mind that, just because it's been announced that Zod is the main villain, doesn't mean we won't see any others. In the current comic book continuity, Brainiac ties in with the destruction of Krypton. Chew on that.

I just feel a little bit of Zod overload, and feel like maybe avoiding as much overlap with the Donner films would be good.

But I don't really care since I like the Donner films but I don't worship at their altar like so many.

Also, bear in mind that, just because it's been announced that Zod is the main villain, doesn't mean we won't see any others. In the current comic book continuity, Brainiac ties in with the destruction of Krypton. Chew on that.

Brainiac's also involved in Krypton's destruction in Superman: TAS, and I thought that was handled quite well. I hope this is the case with Snyder's film, even if Brainiac is just teased and kept for a sequel, perhaps a hint of him at the end a la The Joker at the end of Batman Begins.

As for Zod... meh. At least Shannon is a good actor.

Also, bear in mind that, just because it's been announced that Zod is the main villain, doesn't mean we won't see any others. In the current comic book continuity, Brainiac ties in with the destruction of Krypton. Chew on that.

Yup. Exactly why I highly anticipate Brainiac either being in this movie or at the very least referenced. My gut says the character is in it but they're just keeping it under wraps at the moment. If you're taking inspiration from Secret Origin, and they've said they are, by using Zod there's pretty much no way to not use Brainiac as well. Their histories are linked.

• 2 months later...

Hate Russell Crowe and any film featuring Russell Crowe so I find myself in the awkward position of being a massive Superman fan and already hating this film before it's released. :(

Well, I don't particularly like Maggie Gyllenhaal, but she didn't ruin The Dark Knight for me. Oddly, she didn't ruin Donnie Darko for me, either, and neither did her brother, who I've also come to dislike. Maybe I don't dislike them as much as I thought I did.

You know what? I'll just shut up now.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.