Superman: Man of Steel

lovecraftian

Yes! Does this mean we get to see his origin story again? I hope so. I'm starting to get a little fuzzy on certain details, like, what color was the Kent's barn? And what kind of upholstery was Superman's bassinet escape pod lined with? :thumbsup:

I have faith that Nolan is capable of not making a dark Superman. I get that pretty much everything he's done has been dark, but there are differences of tone and the stories have all fit. He's not M Knight Shaquille O'Neal who can't make a decent movie so he has to rely on dark tones and surprise endings.

Nolan could screw this up and make Emoman, but for now I haven't seen anything to make me think it will happen.

Everyone keeps talking about this film as if it were Nolan's baby. I'm not sure how hands on he has even been or will be. I mean, Steven Spielberg produced Transformers, but that didn't amount to anything. I feel like it all falls on Snyder's shoulders, which is why I'm a little skeptical about the whole project. The guy who just takes comic book panels and recreates them exactly for the screen hasn't quite convinced me he has a ton of real creative insight, but I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. The cast is looking good so far...

Nolan can pull this off. They don't have to make Superman dark (which i doubt they'd actually do) just make the world dark and dismal, or more realistic, however you want to look at it. Superman could still be all for truth, justice, and the american way.

Yeah, but that sounds like Gotham City, not Metropolis.

How about everyone just pipe down on OMG DARK VS CHEERFUL until we actually get an inkling? It's like everyone is ready to hang this movie out to dry for being too dark and quite frankly we don't know **** yet. It might be right down the middle for all we know. Lets just wait k?

Nah, I'd rather speculate. Not much the **** else going on with movies right now, is there? I mean, would we really rather talk about the horrible assed new Adjustment Bureau movie? No thanks. I'd rather uselessly speculate right now about a Superman movie two years away than talk about THAT ****.

Having said that, now with Nolan stepping out I don't there's much of a debate left. He takes all that dark out the door with him.

I don't think that Nolan was bought in because he does dark well and that's what superman needs.

I think he was bought in because he's shown that he can steady a ship. Look what was happening with the Bat-franchise before he got his mitts on it.

That said, taking the goof away from Metropolis did "S2:Donner Cut" a favour.

• 2 weeks later...

Costner should be fine. As should Diane Lane. Both are a little young still, but maybe that's just my memory of them and not the reality of their ages/looks.

Costner just needs to riff from Field of Dreams to create some Pa Kent. Quiet, well mannered, hard working, land loving, man of the midwest. Costner, especially due to his delivery, is great for that.

The first time I became aware of Diane Lane as her, knowing her name and cementing it with her face was when I saw her in Judge Dredd. So because of that part of me always thinks of Judge Hershey when I see her.

Costner is 56, though Lane is only 46 (maybe with her last name, they figured she just had to be in this film). There are just certain actors that have always bugged me for some reason, and Kevin Costner is one of them. Nicholas Cage is another one, but I guess at least Costner's the better actor of the two.

The first time I became aware of Diane Lane as her, knowing her name and cementing it with her face was when I saw her in Judge Dredd. So because of that part of me always thinks of Judge Hershey when I see her.

She was in Six-Pack ('82?) with Kenny Rogers.

We have Superman, the Kents and now we also have Lois Lane....

Amy Adams will be Lois Lane

This just in — three-time Oscar nominee Amy Adams will play journalist Lois Lane in Hollywood’s revival of “Superman.”

The 36-year-old star got the news on Sunday from director Zack Snyder, who phoned her from Paris, where he was promoting his just-opened film, “Sucker Punch.” There had been a crush of Hollywood interest in the lead female role in the Warner Bros. project but Snyder said that after meeting with Adams, she was the clear choice to take on a character that dates back to 1938 and has long represented the strong, professional woman who can hold her own against any man – even if he can leap tall buildings in a single bound.

“There was a big, giant search for Lois,” Snyder said. “For us it was a big thing and obviously a really important role. We did a lot of auditioning but we had this meeting with Amy Adams and after that I just felt she was perfect for it.”

Snyder declined to discuss the precise prominence of Lois in the story or any plot details about the film but he said the role is “a linchpin” to the project and that he considers it essential that Lois — a Roosevelt-era creation – arrives on screen in 2012 with contemporary appeal and spirit.

“It goes back to what I’ve said about Superman and making him really understandable for today. What’s important to us is making him relevant and real and making him empathetic to today’s audience so that we understand the decisions he makes. That applies to Lois as well. She has to be in the same universe as him [in tone and substance].”

In the still-untitled Superman film, Henry Cavill will play Clark Kent and the Man of Steel. Kevin Costner and Diane Lane are set to play the Kents, the adoptive parents of the last son of Krypton.

HeroComplex.LATimes.com

Amy is a great actress and she does look nice, but I'm not that excited with this casting. I'm sure she'll do good though. As for the age....She looks younger than she is and I think she'll look fine with Cavill, but I guess it could be a problem in possible sequels. She's 9 years older than Cavill and 9 years younger than Diane Lane.

Amy Adams is hot, redhead or not and she's been brunette in roles before so I know she looks good with that color. Age shouldn't be much of a issue, she is very baby faced. I also think she could do the fast talking Lane persona I love, which was most "recently" embodied by someone not even playing Lois... Jennifer Jason Leigh in the Hudsucker Proxy.

:eek:

That was unexpected. I love Amy Adams. She'll be great! I'm assuming they'll dye her hair.

This is shaping up to be quite the cast. The influence of Nolan perhaps?

They probably will but don't really have to. For most of the 90's Lois had red hair in the comics, But I'm betting she'll go brunette. Either way she's a fine actress so I can't say I have any complaints. In fact the casting thus far has been right on the mark. Just hope that screenplay is good.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.