Superman: Man of Steel

lovecraftian

Ughh. For the love of Zod, get some NEW villains!

Here's what's funny about Superman... and also why they stick to the same pattern over and over.

1. He's the most iconic Superhero of all time, some would say he IS THE SUPERHERO all others are compared to.

2. EVERYONE knows his origin. You don't need to do it again because everyone already knows it.

3. NO ONE (outside of comicbook fans) can name 5 Superman villains. Luthor-- yes. Bizzaro-- probably. Brainiac--maybe, but doubtful. Beyond that-- nothin.

The task is, stray enough from the mold to be a new thing, but not so much that no one will get it or be interested. Batman was able to re-invent himself with Nolan's version because really, there are a zillion version of Batman already. Superman, not so much.

These are all great points. I'd put Zod up there between Luthor and Bizzaro, though. Zod was hugely popularized by Supes II. Before that, probably nobody had a clue. I know I'd never heard of him.

As I mentioned somewhere else, any actress they get to play Lois has got to be something more than just a pretty face. She has to have a twinkle in her eye and has to be able to deliver witty dialogue. She even has to be able to do physical comedy. The same qualities a comedic actress might have. I really like your Elizabeth Banks suggestion, Wally. I also think you hit it on the head, Torch, when you mentioned that Lois has to be someone experienced and stern, as well as compassionate. That's why I think Kate Bosworth was such a horrible Lois. She didn't have any of those qualities. Not really criticizing her as an actress, but she just wasn't right for the part. If anything, maybe whoever is casting for the new movie can learn from the mistakes of Superman Returns.

Also, I'd like to add that it's too bad Erica Durance is already Lois on Smallville, because she's absolutely perfect in the role. Maybe even the best the character has ever been portrayed on film.

Really, Merc, the mumps? What is it with the exaggerations in this thread. LOL

The only difference between Russo and Wilde in the comparison shot, IMO, is the style of make up they are wearing. Russo is in full coverage mode suiting whatever event she's at. Wilde is in casual mode. Both women do each look really finely IMO, it's just that in those it's one and the other.

Ryn, Katy Perry had a spat with Seasame Street over appropriate clothing during a guest spot. CollegeHumor then spun that to the highest level. It amused me, I especially loved the "after the credits" sign off that Russo did at the end.

Really, Merc, the mumps? What is it with the exaggerations in this thread. LOL

LOL It was meant as an exaggeration. (I tend to do that.) All I meant was that Wilde's cheeks look bigger than Russo's in that photo. It wasn't a slight against her at all! :)

Among the topics of discussion: Cavill’s audition, which included shooting a screen test wearing a replica of Christopher Reeve’s once impressive, now dated Superman suit. “If you can put on that suit and pull it off,” says Snyder, ‘that’s an awesome achievement.” Cavill was feeling less than super in the moment, at least about his ability to fill out the costume: He had just finished shooting a film with Bruce Willis called The Cold Light Of Day, and the part required to him to shed the impressive abs of steel and muscle tone he had put on for the movie he made right before that, the forthcoming mythic fantasy Immortals. As an assistant helped to him put on the Super-suit, Cavill recalls: “All I could think was: Oh, god. They’re going to look at me and go ‘He’s not Superman. Not a chance.’ The actor inside me was going: You’re not ready! You’re not ready!” Snyder saw something — or rather someone — different. “He walked out, and no one laughed,” says the director. “Other actors put that suit on, and it’s a joke, even if they’re great actors. Henry put it on, and he exuded this kind of crazy-calm confidence that just made me go ‘Wow.’ Okay: This was Superman.’”

A major piece of that work is now complete: finding an actor who can express the next-gen Superman’s masculinity, gravitas and empathy. Henry Cavill was raised on the small British island of Jersey with limited time for pop culture beyond TV and computer games. The acting big bit during his years at boarding school, and ever since he was 17, “I’ve been chasing the career around the world.” In addition to four seasons of The Tudors, he appeared in such films as 2002’s The Count of Monte Cristo, 2007’s Stardust, and 2009’s Woody Allen comedy Whatever Works.

Snyder says he would have cast Cavill in his 2007 film 300, except the actor was holding out for another job: becoming the next 007. “I came very close,” says Cavill. “The choice was between a younger Bond and a Bond closer to his 30s, which is to say, Daniel Craig.” Cavill disputes reports that he was a contender for Batman Begins (“At least, nobody was talking to me about it”) but confirms he was a top candidate for an earlier version of Superman (to have been directed by McG) that fell apart in 2004. “But here I am, seven years later. Got ya!” he says with a triumphant shake of the fist. “It was wonderful to have a second stab at a job – and as a wiser, older, more experienced actor.”

That experience came in handy during his two-part audition. Last October, he was asked to read some scenes written specifically for the tryout. He came back in January for a screen test and proved he could sell the suit and an American accent. Snyder declines to identify everyone who auditioned for the role, but volunteers that his second choice was True Blood’s Joe Manganiello. “Joe’s a great guy. I really liked him, says Snyder, adding that it came down to a gut decision. “It was about seeing a quality that inspires the inexplicable, mysterious, cool emotion that says, ‘That’s my guy.’”

Two weeks after Cavill’s screen test, Snyder gave him the life-changing call. “I told him that I had some good and bad news: He needed to start working out.” Cavill was home alone in his London apartment at the time. He tried calling his girlfriend and his parents – but he couldn’t get through to anyone. “I was like, ‘This is ridiculous! I’ve just been given the biggest job in history, and nobody’s picking up their bloody phones!”

Soon it’s Cavill who’ll be hard to reach. He’s about to begin getting Super-ripped at Gym Jones, a fitness boutique specializing in building action-hero physiques. And the actor says is eager to get into his own Superman suit. “Even during the audition, even amid my anxiety while wearing the older model, I had this extraordinary feeling: ‘Wow. I’m wearing the cape. I’m wearing the S.’ Extraordinary,” he says. “I can’t wait to do it for real.”

EW.com

ThinkMcFlyThink.com

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.