Superman: Man of Steel

lovecraftian

Our speculation may be moot anyway. Supposedly, they're auditioning for a female lead, but it isn't for Lois Lane. I'd post the link, but I'm on my phone right now and I'm too lazy to look it up. If it isn't Lois, though, then who? Lana Lang? Lori Lemaris? Kara Zor-El?

I remember reading David Goyer raving about Superman: Secret Origin a little while back. In fact, I think he wrote the introduction to the hardback release, but I'm not sure. (I have the individual issues.) Goyer, as you recall, is writing the screenplay for the new movie. I'm wondering if he's going to incorporate certain elements of that.

Ursa? Jesus. I really don't know what to make of that.

Or maybe I do. Maybe it can be an origin story with a twist? Maybe Zod & Ursa can be directly responsible for Krypton's destruction? To my knowledge, the way Krypton splodes in the comics is not scientifically possible. So having Zod blow it up himself and try to do the same thing to Earth sets up a nice gritty, dark, Nolan-esque motivation for Superman.

Maybe we should ask The Good General himself.

Luthor in his helmet less Iron Man suit would take punches too. Actually that suit tech idea would work great in a Luthor, Metallo and Brainiac triple threat plot. Metallo as the thug henchman that Supes fights early and then Luthor and Brainiac double crossing each other as co-puppet masters.

Luthor's evil master plan could involve genetic manipulation too, plot connections; 1. His kryptonite ring is killing him. 2. figuring out Superman's DNA is a plan to help cure him. 3. Brainiac has the advanced tech to accomplish this. 4. Brainiac wants Luthor as his earthling frontman. 5. Subplot for the sequel develops here too with the creation of a Bizarro.

I like Power Suit Luthor but not in movies. Apart from the obvious Iron Man comparisons, I don't want the Luthor character reduced to superfighting Superman. He's above that sort of thing. Superman has plenty of legitimate jabronis to superfight.

Lex Luthor should be the President of the USA. I never read the comic where that happened but I love the idea and it's different.

Ughh. For the love of Zod, get some NEW villains!

Here's what's funny about Superman... and also why they stick to the same pattern over and over.

1. He's the most iconic Superhero of all time, some would say he IS THE SUPERHERO all others are compared to.

2. EVERYONE knows his origin. You don't need to do it again because everyone already knows it.

3. NO ONE (outside of comicbook fans) can name 5 Superman villains. Luthor-- yes. Bizzaro-- probably. Brainiac--maybe, but doubtful. Beyond that-- nothin.

The task is, stray enough from the mold to be a new thing, but not so much that no one will get it or be interested. Batman was able to re-invent himself with Nolan's version because really, there are a zillion version of Batman already. Superman, not so much.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.