Superman: Man of Steel

lovecraftian

Hammer is The Flash. Nothing needs to happen. He doesn't need to bulk up, doesn't need to change his hair. Nothing. Armie Hammer is Barry Allen... The Flash.

I see why that would work, personality-wise for sure. The guy is 6'5" though. He'd be towering over everyone else in the movie. I'm still a fan of Chris Pine for The Flash.

I've been thinking Armie Hammer since Pg. 12 so I'm glad we're on the same side, Kitster. I think Adam Brody or Justin Timberlake would make pretty good Flash candidates. Or if we go with the Tim Burton/Balding Actor route, Jesse Eisenberg as The Flash. Neurotic Flash, anyone? LOL

I hate to say this and I don't mean to offend, but most of those are horrible choices for The Flash. My pick? Desmond Harrington (Detective Quinn on Dexter) would be an ideal choice for Barry Allen. He's got the right look and build and can play compassionate and tough at the same time. If we're talking about Wally West, I could maybe see Chris Pine in the role. As we saw in Star Trek, he could pull off "smartass," without being obnoxious.

That's fine, I'm also not really rushing to see a Flash film to begin with. But Harrington is too old and Chris Pine may be pushing overexposure. Timberlake must be doing something right since he was in the final stages to get GL before Reynolds was miscast.

Timberlake will never get the credit he deserves for acting because people will just see a former boyband member. He was fantastic in both The Social Network and Alpha Dog.

I agree Reynolds was miscast, I'd have loved to see Nathan Fillion as Hal Jordan and Ryan Reynolds as Wally West (the best Flash anyway). Armie Hammer would make a fantastic Superman. Rumours right now are Joe Manganiello of True Blood fame wearing the cape.

Clark is only a farm boy by accident, he doesn't have to bleed Bo Duke looks to be taken as a viable descendant of someone from Middle America. Joe Manganiello has a look in line with Tom Welling, but essentially rougher... a bit more classically manlier. Joe Manganiello also has the squinty eyed ethnic look that the WB wanted to get back to* when they cast Dean Cain as Superman for TV in the 90s. I think Phil's pick of him is right on target for Kal-El, Clark and Superman. Google images has a flood of shots that support this visual hook too.

*Originally Superman was a stocky, athlete type and his physical appearance fell right in line with that of someone of Jewish descent... at the very least south-eastern European.

Who's asking for Teen Titans? Just give us someone who can do at least four or five films if possible without everyone asking for them to be recast because they're looking geriatric.

And I don't think Superman has to look like an Alex Ross painting to be Superman. Sorry, Torch.

No one mentioned Alex Ross. I also didn't say that Superman had to look like any particular thing. Whether it be the original more stocky and squinty look or Christopher Reeve's tall and physically trim look. I just was mentioning that going stockier and squinty eyed is a valid approach to take and that Joe Manganiello fills that build.

Yeah, I don't think he's a bad choice. I'm interested to see how it works out. I too would have liked to see Routh return with a reboot concept in the same vein as how Star Trek II was to Star Trek The Motion Picture. Of course I'd also like to see the "solo hero" concept dropped in favor of more DC Universe-ness, but ah well. Guess maybe I have to wait for another reboot next decade.

Awesome. Despite having some reservations from all the rumors I've heard about the story, I can't help but ultimately be excited for this. It's Superman, after all. I'm just glad the movie is going forward and they got a solid actor for the part. Zack Snyder did a pretty great job with Watchmen, so I have confidence he'll do Superman justice. I'm all for a more serious take, but I hope he doesn't make it too dark. At any rate, BRING IT ON.

And, for Pete's sake, please part his hair on the correct side this time.

Yeah. That's basically what I meant. Superman should always be portrayed as the eternal optimist. No emo stalking this time, either. Man, I can't help but have high hopes for this. We really need an inspirational Superman movie. I have similar hopes for Captain America: The First Avenger. Don't be afraid to show a hero who is good, confident, and purehearted. Someone who leads and sets a positive example. He need not be a tortured soul.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.