Superman: Man of Steel

lovecraftian

It's been done once. If your gonna tell the story, tell it all. It only takes 40 minutes which still leaves you with 100 minutes for superfights plus sequels. I want Krypton. I want Smallville.

It's been done a hell of a lot more than once. You're forgetting Smallville and Superboy for starters.

• 1 month later...
Guest El Chalupacabra

A show or movie series about Krypton would be pretty cool.

Which version of Krypton?

Golden age Krypton was not explored all that much.

Silver age Krypton is silly.

Superman the Movie krypton looked cool, but not sure that would work.

Byrne reboot Krypton was depressing.

Birthright Krypton is confusing.

An amalgamation Krypton of any or all versions of Krypton would please no one.

Not to mention in most versions, Kryptonians didn't have super powers on Krypton, so you are looking basically at a Caprica-type series.

so I am not sure it would be what one would initially think. Krypton is best left as is: a back story.

The core root problem with any Superman story, whether you include Krypton and Smallville or not is that when you strip away the details of plot and narrative... we're talking about Superman. And Superman is lame.

Agreed.

Though, I have to admit, I would be interested in a Superman movie where he leaps, rather than flies. He's actually somewhat intriguing as a character when he's not quasi-invincible.

The core root problem with any Superman story, whether you include Krypton and Smallville or not is that when you strip away the details of plot and narrative... we're talking about Superman. And Superman is lame.

Wait a second, Tankeroo...are you a fan of the X-Men?

Guest El Chalupacabra

Superman IS NOT LAME. Only most of the film\TV incarnations are. And I think supeerman shines best in one-off and\or alternate reality tales

What I would like to see is a Superman animation film done in the spirit of Batman: Gotham Knight. Four or five original, well written non-Timmverse stories, each animated in the artistic style of each period of Superman (Gold,Silver, 70s, Byrne reboot, and current eras), done in a more adult, mildly gritty way. Thing is, Superhero movies with CGI have great FX, but rely heavily on FX and have crap stories. Comics are a form of animation, and IMHO, superheros work best in animation.

There's the DCAU version, too. That's the one I've liked the best.

Guest El Chalupacabra

There's the DCAU version, too. That's the one I've liked the best.

I was referring to the comic versions, but that definitely is a version all its own, if you are referring to the Superman TAS 90s\2000s version. I liked those too. But you could argue that is an amalgamation of the previous versions of superman.

Guest El Chalupacabra

True, but that aside, he's a Superman who never flies. That sounds interesting in theory ... but it's not.

+1 I mean in that reality Superman didn't become superman until almost 30! WTF!

So Hans Zimmer is writing the music for the reboot. That's a plus for a Zack Snyder film but for Superman, I don't know. I'm expecting something more along the lines of Gladiator now. I'd much rather have James Newton Howard from the Dynamic Duo.

No Williams theme btw.

Hans Zimmer + Superman = Eww (for now)

For now cos we'll see how it ends up. Even already in his short career he suffers from the Horner Syndrome of repeating himself ie. Pirates is just a "happy" version of Gladiator. So I hope he has more in mind than a "happy" version of the Bat-music.

I would say elements of Gladiator filtered more into Batman Begins/The Dark Knight than the Pirate films. I would need to listen again but I can't pinpoint where the syndrome really effects his Pirates themes which I would rate highly on his discography.

I like a lot of his older work, I just don't like electrical, unmelodious, wall of sound scores. I don't even care if he (or whoever ends up scoring this) uses Williams' themes or not. Actually, I'd prefer he didn't, since this is a new series and it deserves a breath of fresh air--I just don't think Zimmer's the right choice for this.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.