Superman: Man of Steel

lovecraftian

Well, Zack Snyder gets a lot of stick but i haven't disliked any of his movies dispite their shortcomings/flaws.

He's got that twitch-MTV-director rap but the strengths for me are that he is very visual (300) knows how to treat characters with respect (Watchmen) and knows how to mix it up so things seem fresh (Dead).

I'm still hoping that someone in the WB/DC decides to keep the Returns cast and do a Star Trek: The Motion Picture to Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan styled reboot. I'd love to see that cast with the production stylings of Nolan and Snyder.

You be speaking da truth! :yes:

I don't see how it makes any sense whatsoever to keep the Returns cast for an intended reboot. Not gonna happen nor should it.

So visually this should look nice, but can Snyder do notdark? I haven't bothered to see much of his work (hell I'm very out of touch with cinema altogether today), but my impression was that he had a darker tone visually? That won't fly much in Metropolis. And yeah, like Wally kinda bummed as the chances aren't so great now for a memorable score.

CBR's saying that the villain apparently is going to be General Zod. I'd rather see Brainiac but if Zod's the villain than the past of Krypton should feature heavily, which gives tons of room to set the stage for him or even introduce him.

Well the score is guaranteed to suck.

I've missed something along the way. I've noticed you and I ususally have a shared perspective on film scores, so tell me what you mean here and why. For this movie to have a sucky score would be terrible.

I don't see how it makes any sense whatsoever to keep the Returns cast for an intended reboot.

I can think of one reason: they were ****ing awesome. Especially Routh. But all of them were. But I can see you being sour on the cast though since you hated the movie.

Ex: Tyler Bates just doesn't inspired confidence in me to believe he'll do anything memorable and original. His work for 300 was serviceable for that film but the rest of his body of work tells me he can't do anything comparable to John Williams or Shirley Walker and the crew of composers from the Timmverse.

Routh was great. James Marsden was great. Frank Langella was great. Everyone else sucked.

I've said

I don't see how it makes any sense whatsoever to keep the Returns cast for an intended reboot.

I can think of one reason: they were ****ing awesome. Especially Routh. But all of them were. But I can see you being sour on the cast though since you hated the movie.

Eh. I thought it was fairly uninspired casting. Routh was alright, but his greatest asset was looking like Christopher Reeve. Beyond that nothing special. The rest of the cast was just not good. Even Spacey was an incredibly overrated Lex Luthor. He offered nothing to the role that Gene Hackman didn't already do better. And to this day I have no clue how anyone could think Kate Bosworth fit as Lois Lane. I like the actress, but, no. Scrap it all.

And while it sure sounds like it, I actually don't hate the movie. I enjoyed it, actually in spite of the casting. But that's because I grew up on the original films and it was an interesting continuation of that story, but I recognize it shoudln't have continued that story in the first place. Singer got a huge boner for his childhood and it compromised what should have been a new Superman tale for a new generation. But I've said all that before so I'll stop beating the dead horse. Main point I guess is I didn't hate it, lol. But this movie absolutely needs to start fresh across the board. For better or worse, hopefully the better.

Spacey annoyed me as Lex but I can't stand that version of the character, even when I was a child I hated Hackman's portrayal and that was before I was spoiled by the billionaire portrayal. Bosworth is also too mousy for the role of Lois Lane. I'm hoping Elizabeth Banks turns up for the role and we get a Lex that can rival Michael Rosenbaum.

As for Kal El, I know he's a blond but I wouldn't mind Armie Hammer in the role especially after his amazing performance in The Social Network.

Reminaginings bother me when they happen in really close proximity to one another. Like Spider-Man. I was even wary of Batman Begins despite the garbage that was Batman and Robin, but even that had about an 8 year buffer. Reimagining a franchise that hadn't seen a film in over 20 years though? That's not just fair game, that demands a reboot in my mind. I think Returns proved it.

He's got that twitch-MTV-director rap but the strengths for me are that he is very visual (300) knows how to treat characters with respect (Watchmen) and knows how to mix it up so things seem fresh (Dead).

And he's worked with things that can fly (Owls of Ga'Hoole)!

And he's worked with things that can fly (Owls of Ga'Hoole)!

Soooooooo true, perfect director +1 Like

Superman smiles and punches stuff really hard... like thru buildings.

Batman doesn't smile and uses Sherlock Holmes-esque intelligence with James Bond gadgets.

If Nolan can understand that, and he clearly understands the latter, then his produced Superman should be fine.

Superman = Jesus should be finished. It's tired and rips the fun out of the character. I mention this as that analogy seems to be the only way the powers that be think you can effectively generate a darker, grittier and emo tone for the Big Blue Boy Scout.

I've said it before, but if Nolan and the WB want darker... then keep Routh and cast. Do a Star Trek: The Motion Picture to Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan styled reboot EXCEPT make sure you continue the Superboy story from Superman Returns... you continue it by having the villain of this story murder him. As cold as this is to say, about fictional lives anyway, this resets the status quo for Superman and provides tremendous drama and grit for him to deal with at least for the middle act of the film. This would take Supes to the brink of Punisher styled justice, but of course our Clarky will pull back just in time to stand noble and tall... while at the same time beating the living daylights out of the villain.

Superman = Jesus should be finished. It's tired and rips the fun out of the character. I mention this as that analogy is really the only way to effectively generate a darker, grittier and emo tone for the Big Blue Boy Scout.

Not only that but, put in terms my daughters might use, it's stupid. It always reeked of begging to me when writers tried to push this.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.