Superman: Man of Steel

lovecraftian

That character vs. action comment wasn't directed at you, but Hollywood. I'm just tired of getting movies that have action, but lack depth, or vice versa. We've all read plenty of comics from DC & Marvel that have the best of both worlds, but yet we've had too few films like that.

That's true of Hollywood films in general, of course. :(

Guest El Chalupacabra

I really liked that miniseries. It could work. Or at least the overall feel of it, anyway.

It might have been Drew McWeeney (formerly Moriarty at AICN) who mentioned it but I loved the idea: why not offer the franchise to Joel and Ethan Coen and see what they could do with it.

I don't know who they are. explain,please.

While I certainly agree that Superman was much more relevant than Hulk ever was, I think that both characters are in the same boat now, and the reason why is because they're both too powerful to create the necessary drama you need to draw a mass audience. The reason why Batman, Iron Man, the X Men, and Spiderman have worked out so well is because it's easy to put those characters in peril. With the super strong invulnerable god-like characters, however, you just don't get that kind of suspense. I think that's why Hulk failed, and I think that's why Superman will, too. I was sad to see that the new Hulk film didn't do much better than the other one because really enjoyed it and thought they did an outstanding job with the story.

It's going to be even harder for Superman, because to make it work you're going to need a villain that presents a real challenge. Even though he has villains that meet the criteria, none of them are popular enough with the general public to shake them out of the apathy they feel for Supes. I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see it working. I wouldn't be surprised at all if this movie never gets made.

I think Superman's best hope is with Green Lantern. If that film works, and I think it will, Supes could play a nice little supporting role in a future sequel.

It might have been Drew McWeeney (formerly Moriarty at AICN) who mentioned it but I loved the idea: why not offer the franchise to Joel and Ethan Coen and see what they could do with it.

That's an idea. Let's do a Superman movie with a kidnapping plot and quirky dialogue.

Can't a movie be character-rich AND action-packed? It seems like too often these days it has to be one or the other. :unimpressed:

And anyone that's watched Smallville the last couple of years knows what Torch means about preaching. That is NOT "character", that's just annoying!

Exactly.

And yeah, by action packed I meant intelligent action. I'm not talking about making Superman into a Bayformers or G.I.Sommers film. :puke:

Birthright is the most boring origin out of the three they've used in the past 30 years. If you're gonna retell an origin, I'd base it off either Man of Steel if you want something will less sci-fi, or the currently going Secret Origin for more flash. Birthright is tool Smallville-y for me. If Nolan is involved I'd imagine he'd prefer something more to the MOS era.

I have hope a well-thought out new picture could hit with fans. There's a laundry list of things wrong with Returns, which has been addressed before, which I think was a way bigger reason for its failure rather the character itself. But if a new picture actually aimed at the current generation this time comes about then fails, as big a fan I am I would be forced to believe Tex's belief might be on the right track.

Don't count out a new Superman movie yet, people. Check this out:

Source: http://www.superherohype.com/news/supermannews.php?id=9058

Christopher Nolan to Mentor New Superman Movie?

February 9, 2010

In possibly one of the biggest superhero movie shockers since the last one--when was the Spider-Man reboot, three weeks ago?--Deadline Hollywood is now reporting that The Dark Knight and Batman Begins director Christopher Nolan has been assigned the potentially thankless task of being the latest filmmaker assigned by Warner Bros. to try to save the "Superman" franchise, in this case in a mentoring capacity to figure out the best way to proceed.

Director Bryan Singer helmed the last installment Superman Returns three and a half years ago, which grossed $391 million worldwide, but wasn't seen as a hit due to its reported $270 million production budget. (Remember that the studio doesn't get 100% of those theatrical grosses.)

Since then, various names have been mentioned as possible candidates to get Superman back to the screen, most vocally comic book creator Mark Millar (Wanted, Kick-Ass), but nothing had been confirmed or definite.

This latest news seems to come out of two recent developments, the restructuring of Warner's relationship with DC Comics into a new company called DC Entertainment, headed by Diane Nelson, and the looming deadline of the estates of Superman creators Jerome Siegel and Joe Shuster gaining back the entire copyright for the character in 2013. During a court hearing about the rights to Superman, Warners chairman Alan Horn said that he hoped to make another film for 2012 at the earliest but that no script was currently in development.

Some may remember that before Bryan Singer came on board, various versions of the Man of Steel were floundering in development, including one version starring Nicolas Cage to be directed by Tim Burton based on a screenplay by Kevin Smith. Even J.J. Abrams took a crack at writing a Superman screenplay with both Brett Ratner and McG attached to direct his version at one point.

It's unclear how far Nolan's role as a mentor might stretch and whether he'll just be offering some suggestions on the direction, or will be actively involved in picking the director, writers and casting for the reboot, as it's still very early in what is already being labeled "Superman 3.0."

Knowing how many fans of The Dark Knight there are on SuperHeroHype, need we even ask what you think about Nolan being actively involved in another movie about a DC Comics character?

If this is all true, this is probably the best thing that could possibly happen concerning Superman's cinematic future.

Also, I don't think Nolan being involved will necessarily mean that the new Superman movies will be dark, like his Batman movies. Nolan knows his stuff. I'm willing to bet he also knows that Superman is supposed to be the other side of the same coin Batman's on.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Don't count out a new Superman movie yet, people. Check this out:

Source: http://www.superhero...ews.php?id=9058

If this is all true, this is probably the best thing that could possibly happen concerning Superman's cinematic future.

Nolan Superman?! Yay!! If anyone can do Superman right, it is him!!

Also, I don't think Nolan being involved will necessarily mean that the new Superman movies will be dark, like his Batman movies. Nolan knows his stuff. I'm willing to bet he also knows that Superman is supposed to be the other side of the same coin Batman's on.

I couldn't agree more. plus, if they ever did a long-speculated, yet probably unlikely cross over, this would definitely be in favor of it not sucking!

Just adapt Morrison/Quietly's All Star Superman into a film. It has everything that makes supes, supes, humanizes him, puts him in peril, and is brilliant.

Plus it's the only superman anything worth a crap in my opinion.

I liked that series, but really? Don't you think it too comic book-ish for a movie? I agree about the vulnerability of superman angle, but but that story was kind of Silver-agey to me.

Of course I am one of the few fans of the 1986-1995 era, so what do I know.

Just adapt Morrison/Quietly's All Star Superman into a film. It has everything that makes supes, supes, humanizes him, puts him in peril, and is brilliant.

Plus it's the only superman anything worth a crap in my opinion.

Eh, its a good story, but I think its overrated. It does all the things you say, but the problem is its not the only Superman story in history that's ever humanized him nor put him in peril with the backdrop of a good plot, so I don't get why fanboys gives Morrison credit like he's the only writer to ever do this with the character. It certainly wouldn't be a bad reference to go to in some areas but its not the end all be all of Superman stories some make it out to be.

Wtf a Nolan Superman movie would be awful. I am sick and ****ing tired of this gritty **** with "characters the audience can relate to." I want a comic book movie damn it

I'm right there with you, I'm just giving the benefit of the doubt for the time being that the guy knows the difference between the characters and can adapt to a character that's not dark and gritty. If I hear "dark" and Superman himself in the same sentence though I'm off the boat. If they want to portray some grittiness, I like what Secret Origin has done with Metropolis. While its far from a Gotham, before Superman's arrival its not the shining city its usually portrayed to be either. Its a little bit slummy, a little bit neglected, and its people reflect the antipathy of its current figurehead, Lex Luthor.

Yeah, Johns has really hit it out of the park with Secret Origins.

And that's fair enough. And with Nolan, at least I would know it would be a GOOD film. That's how I felt about The Dark Knight. I enjoyed it, but it wasn't my idea of a good Batman film. Batman is gritty so-nuff, but he took away the "World's Greatest Detective" aspect and made the Joker a much less interesting character. He tried to make them human. There's something primal, archetypal in the best Batman comics that I found missing. And it's this I fear for Superman.

Well, the article does say Nolan is, more or less, a consultant. He isn't directing. Just supervising the project. I just want another Superman film with a great story, great ACTION, and an actor who can bring a larger-than-life charisma to the character in the way that Christopher Reeve did. Just get it done and stop this dilly-dallying. It's not that hard to do Superman!

I do think Geoff Johns needs to be in on this, as well. Pretty much every DC movie, actually.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.