Superman: Man of Steel

lovecraftian

Isn't that what they did with Smallville?

Maybe. I can count the episodes I've seen over the past four years of that show on one hand so I can't be sure. But from what little I know of their approach to Krypton (portals to Earth? Superman's Mom hiding a picture of herself on the Kent farm?) I don't think it's the sort of thing I'm talking about. Unless you're specifically referring to the idea of "meteor rock freaks" which, yeah, should definitely be incorporated into the general Superman mythos.

lovecraftian - nonsense. Retreading the fine works of those who came before us is the only thing that gives life meaning. And to think you call yourself a comic fan. Shame.

I think they should go with the Bruce Timm animated series interpretation of Braniac, Krypton's sentient computer mainframe, who comes to Earth in search of Kal-El. This way, at least you'll have a villain with ties to the original mythology

I like this :thumbsup:

Though I can't decide if I like that appearance enough. I like the Action Comics #544 version much better. I think you could have that physical confrontation if Superman went up against a convincing-looking incarnation of that Brainiac variation. Scary looking and whatnot, might be cool on-screen if they didn't over-CGI the poor guy.

Zod would have been nice if they had rebooted the franchise like they should have. As much as I liked Returns, it basically stuck the character in a lot of corners which we’re stuck dealing with unless they just choose to ignore it, which ultimately makes the whole experience in 2006 a waste of our time (just think how great a completed Bryan Singer “X-Men” franchise would have been) and their money.

My take, set the Clark stuff on the back burner and let there be an all out Superman story and open up the DC Universe with this. If they want to do the Justice League series right, do it through this and then end the current Superman trilogy/franchise as a “backdoor pilot” for the Justice League. Even call it “World’s Finest,” just minus the Dark Knight from Gotham City.

I personally would like to see Brainiac and Darkseid at some point.

I'd love Zod to feature in the film, but I see Terence Stamp's errrr stamp, on the character to be the definitive one. It'd be good to go down a different path.

That's the problem, yeah. Which is why I imagine they'd come up with a character who is somewhat Zod-esque without being Zod himself. Son of Zod, perhaps.

You do bring up a good point about the Stampage. He really is completely associated with the role. For a while there when I was watching 'Smallville' I was convinced that the show was going for a great twist in their presentation of Jor-El. They had Terrence Stamp doing the voice, y'see, and since the content of Jor-El's general message to Kal was something like "Rule over the humans!" I started to assume we'd eventually find out that it was one big mindbleep on Zod's behalf to convert the offspring of his greatest enemy to the cause of Zod-ism. Wikipedia tells me that instead the show went with some rigmarole about caves and James Marsters and a Zod-Ghost taking over Luthor. Pffft.

Okay. So here's my ideal plot for Superman Returns Again....

Act One

SUPERMAN: Oh no! Phantom Zone villains!

PZVILLAINS: Oh no! Son of Jor-El! And, look! Son of Son of Jor-El!

LITTLE KID: I will hide in the Fortress for the whole movie and won't be seen until the end.

Act Two

LOIS LANE: Oh no! Superman is losing! He needs help with his epic CGI-laden knockdown fight!

SUPERMAN: Who can I turn to who has experience fighting Kryptonians?

LUTHOR: Me! Turn to me! I am good at that!

BRAINAIC: Kal-El! Pick me!

BIZARRO: Goodbye! Me am unhelp you!

SUPERMAN: Screw you, criminals. Lois, I can beat this on my own!

HUBRIS: Hurray! I am completely without consequences!

Act Three

SUPERMAN: Woe is me, I have lost.

MARLON BRANDO: Would an inspirational speech about humanity's virtues and the House of El help you in any way?

SUPERMAN: Sure, would. Thanks, dead dad!

JONATHAN KENT'S CORPSE:

SUPERMAN: I mean, umm, thanks to BOTH of my dead dads.

JONATHAN KENT'S CORPSE: :heart:

END OF MOVIE: Basically, Superman joins forces with the bad guys to defeat the badder guys. There's a big fight and lots of snappy dialogue and some of it takes place on the moon.

Epilogue

SUPERMAN: I have learned the value of those around me and blah blah blah. Little Bastard Child, do you want to learn about your heritage like I did at the beginning of the last movie? Come with me to Krypton!

LITTLE BASTARD CHILD: Yippee!

Note : Little Bastard Child died on the way back to his home planet.

Little Child has to die heroically. And you forgot to kill Lois' husband, even though he was my favorite thing about Superman Returns. Otherwise, this is a winner the suits would love.

All I know is that if Supes doesn't punch someone through a building in the next film, I'm skipping it.

Sounds like a plan. Somehow scene after scene of heroic bench-pressing didn't do much for me, either.

Toyman & Prankster.... umm.... would be.... also somehow related to Krypton in some vague fashion!

...based their toys on Kryptonian schematics! Titano was a giant Kryptonian gorilla! The Parasite was a simple Earth leech who was bitten by a radioactive Kryptonian! Mongul, Darkseid, Imperiex, and Doomsday took turns being the real destroyers of Krypton!

And Terra-Man was...um, still a lost cause.

Little Child has to die heroically.

It was a Simpsons reference. Duh. In fact, the only reason I posted that was because the joke occurred to me and I had to work my way towards it in a matter that had some semblance of sense.

...based their toys on Kryptonian schematics! Titano was a giant Kryptonian gorilla! The Parasite was a simple Earth leech who was bitten by a radioactive Kryptonian! Mongul, Darkseid, Imperiex, and Doomsday took turns being the real destroyers of Krypton!

Now that's just crazy talk. It's all so silly when you start with it.

Oh, I have decided that Metallo's power source will be the Omegahedron from that Supergirl film where she fights a witch. And that the eventual destiny of Superman is to restore Krypton to existence as part of Jor-El's master plan to save his home planet. Also, the original civilizations from which the Kryptonian Adam & Eve (named Kryp and Ton, natch) hailed from were Earth & Daxam. Also also, the death of the previous Despair from Sandman was due to her manipulation of Rao into planning for Krypton's destruction. Also also also, the tiny Kryptonian devil from the recent Superman #666 should have a permanent spot in Superman's roster of villains.

I'd love Zod to feature in the film, but I see Terence Stamp's errrr stamp, on the character to be the definitive one. It'd be good to go down a different path.

Pffft. If Hollywood gave a **** about an incredible performance putting a definitive stamp on a comic book villain, we wouldn't have had The Joker in the next Batman movie. :rolleyes: That proves beyond a doubt that if they don't go with Zod in the next movie it's because they didn't want to, not because of Terrance Stamp. ****ing morons. :no:

You do bring up a good point about the Stampage. He really is completely associated with the role. For a while there when I was watching 'Smallville' I was convinced that the show was going for a great twist in their presentation of Jor-El. They had Terrence Stamp doing the voice, y'see, and since the content of Jor-El's general message to Kal was something like "Rule over the humans!" I started to assume we'd eventually find out that it was one big mindbleep on Zod's behalf to convert the offspring of his greatest enemy to the cause of Zod-ism.

I thought that exact same thing for years until they finally revealed that Lex was Zod. :rolleyes: Our way would have been much more interesting. ****ing morons. :no:

I really don't get it. Why get Stamp to do the voice in the first place if you're not going to follow through with the obvious assumption an informed viewer would make about that sort of choice? It's even a deviation from their usual pattern of stunt casting to have a bad guy play a good guy, if you get what I mean.

Guest The_return_of_thanos

Well whomever the next villain is, I for one, had enough of Lex Luthor and one-off villains. It needs to be a recognizable villain, like Brainiac or Parasite, if they do a 1 movie villain.

If they choose someone like Darkseid or Doomsday, they better plan on a trilogy, or at least 2 movies, to do it right.

I also wouldn't mind a golden age, retro-style Superman movie, set in the late 30's or Late 40s (bypassing WW2) with the ultra-humanite as the villain, with a crazy giant robot or something. Metropolis could look like, well the movie Metropolis, too, but in color. Sort of like that movie Sky Captain (the movie itself sucked, but the visuals were awesome).

• 4 months later...

There's some new info on the next Superman and the other DC properties. Full article is here:

http://www.latinoreview.com/news/superman-...e-rebooted-5262

Most relevant bits:

Like the recent Batman sequel -- which has become the highest-grossing film of the year thus far -- Mr. Robinov wants his next pack of superhero movies to be bathed in the same brooding tone as "The Dark Knight." Creatively, he sees exploring the evil side to characters as the key to unlocking some of Warner Bros.' DC properties. "We're going to try to go dark to the extent that the characters allow it," he says. That goes for the company's Superman franchise as well.

So in classic herd mentality, what worked for one specific character will now be copied and imitated for every property, without regard to whether the tone is actually appropriate to the material. What could possibly go wrong? :rolleyes:

The studio is set to announce its plans for future DC movies in the next month. For now, though, it is focused on releasing four comic-book films in the next three years, including a third Batman film, a new film reintroducing Superman, and two movies focusing on other DC Comics characters. Movies featuring Green Lantern, Flash, Green Arrow, and Wonder Woman are all in active development.

The implication being that Superman will be rebooted. Again.

I'm of two minds here. If you're going to do another Superman movie at all, it has to be rebooted. Either reboot it or don't make another film, I see that as the only two options. Why? Because, while I enjoyed Superman Returns, despite all of Bryan Singer's comments to the contrary, it was a direct sequel to Superman I and II. There's just no arguing that now. The fears voiced by many turned out to be true; he was making a movie for himself and for older fanboys of the original film, completely overestimating their value with today's audience. It was a sequel to films nearly 30 years old. And it felt like it. It was a bookend to story elements introduced in the first two films, so there's pretty much nowhere to go now. You want an actual Superman franchise? You have to reboot it. It should have been in the first place.

The problem with this though is that it seems like my new fear has been realized. With The Dark Knight being so successful WB now thinks every superhero has to be dark. They all need a "ooooooo dark and brooding" dark side that needs to be explored. This is a part of a lot of superheroes, but its not a part of Superman. HE'S NOT DARK. Period. To try and paint Superman with a dark side completely goes against everything the character stands for in the first place, to the point there's no reason to even call the character Superman. So I'd be for a reboot. But if it entails elements of darkness? Count me out. I'd support that piece of **** Justice League project before I supported a dark Superman film.

A good writer/director could handle dark and Superman together.

Unfortunately, I don't have much hope for that. I would love to see a Superman that seems like he belongs in the same world as Batman, though. Even if Routh/Bale never meet in film, I'd like to have an idea that they could.

I'd like to keep Routh and they just do a Superman story moving on with what Returns set up. If they want a return to the status quo for Superman (which is what they want if they are thinking about a reboot) and they want dark (which they have said) then the next Superman movie can happen with what was set up with Superman Returns. Here's how you do it: kill "Superboy"

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.