Superman: Man of Steel

lovecraftian

has participated in several landmark (and socially relevant) adventures with Green Arrow

Hal Jordan is a real jerk in those landmark and socially relevant adventures.

"You always have all the answers, Green Arrow! Here - take a look at your adopted son shooting up drugs! Isn't it great that I can use his addiction and your pain to win an argument?"

And some people think Guy Gardner is crass. Compared to Hal 'Hah Hah! Drugs!' Jordan he's practically a saint. The oldest and wisest Smurfs in the galaxy gave THIS GUY a power ring?

Comic book covers back then tended to greatly exaggerate or distort the actual content of the issue. Some even blatantly portrayed the heroes uncharacteristically, just to grab the readers' attention. The cover above is a good example of this. Hal was never a crass jerk, as depicted on this cover.

I guess everyone has their favorite Green Lantern. Hal is, and always shall be, mine. For many of the reasons Ro-Dan mentioned.

To be fair, though, Kyle Rayner also kept the Green Lantern legacy alive all by himself until the Corps came back...much to pride and admiration of Hal Jordan himself.

Comic book covers back then tended to greatly exaggerate or distort the actual content of the issue. Some even blatantly portrayed the heroes uncharacteristically, just to grab the readers' attention.

Indeed, here's a few more examples of what Mercury was talking about. {These and many more can be found on the site that Torch posted...}

The man's a fearless test pilot, a born leader, has one of the coolest origins in comics, has rebuilt and trained the GL Corps after the Guardians abandoned Oa, has led the Justice League (Europe), defeated Sinestro countless times, is a true ladies' man, has participated in several landmark (and socially relevant) adventures with Green Arrow, AND returned from the dead.

I'd say that's pretty impressive. You may not like Hal, Dom, but I think he's pretty amazing.

None of that is particularly impressive as far as super-heroes go. Kyle did a heck of a lot more amazing feats with his ring in ten years than Hal did in thirty-five.

Wow. So when did this thread become another in a long line of futile Hal vs Kyle debates? I stated that I think Hal is the best. I didn't dog on Kyle Rayner at all. You asked me what Hal did that was so great. I told you. If you don't like Hal, that's fine. It's not like Kyle has been killed off or something. All indications point to him being a major player in the Green Lantern Corps series. Hal is my favorite, but it doesn't mean I have to hate Kyle. Rather the reverse because I like Kyle. I'm just glad to see Hal back and starring in Green Lantern.

That Lois Lane one is really ironic considering how the staff behind Smallville is handling Lois Lane. lol

Seriously.

She's had Aquaman and Green Arrow already. I'm sure that only Bale's Batman franchise (the staff in that didn't want Batman to appear in Smallville and confuse people about "continuity") is the only reason Lois hasn't shacked up with Bruce Wayne.

Like in Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman I'm sure the future doesn't just look at Lois Lane as unbelievable naive (for not realizing Superman puts on glasses and is in disguise) but also pegs her as a Super-Hero groupie because she slept with half or more of the Justice League.

:lol: I read an advance review of the forthcoming Superman: Doomday DVD on Newsarama a few weeks ago - apparently Lois still doesn't doesn't know that Clark Kent and Superman are one and the same and yet she has her own towel in the Fortress of Solitude...

Did you notice on the cover with Jimmy apologizing to Superman that Jimmy continues to fill his pockets with the pay-off money?

Like in Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman I'm sure the future doesn't just look at Lois Lane as unbelievable naive (for not realizing Superman puts on glasses and is in disguise)

Yeah! One of the best scenes from that series is when a time traveling villain calls her on that piece of idiocy.

Though I think you're being more than a little unfair to the character in terms of the most recent movie. It's clear that the exact same things that attracted her to Superman are what attracts her to Cyclops. She's not involving herself in some nepotistic powerplay. She's just rebounding on her ex to a carbon copy.

Wow. So when did this thread become another in a long line of futile Hal vs Kyle debates? I stated that I think Hal is the best. I didn't dog on Kyle Rayner at all. You asked me what Hal did that was so great. I told you. If you don't like Hal, that's fine. It's not like Kyle has been killed off or something. All indications point to him being a major player in the Green Lantern Corps series. Hal is my favorite, but it doesn't mean I have to hate Kyle. Rather the reverse because I like Kyle. I'm just glad to see Hal back and starring in Green Lantern.

I didn't say you dissed Rayner, I was just using him as an example. Hal, despite always being described as "the best Green Lantern" has done nothing to earn that title. He's pretty average for a GL.

• 1 month later...

Looks like another immediate "revamp" is on the way:

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111797444...yid=13&cs=1

Superman needs some ideas for what his next adventure might be.

"Superman Returns" scribes Michael Dougherty and Dan Harris have opted not to come back and pen a sequel to the 2006 summer pic that would have reunited them with helmer Bryan Singer. The three also worked together on "X2: X-Men United."

As a result, WB is now taking pitches for Supe's next outing from other scribes -- just as the studio is trying to figure out which actor will don the character's tights in "Justice League."

Industry chatter claimed the studio would start fresh with a new take on the Man of Steel, as if the previous pic never happened.

Reasons mentioned were the introduction of Superman's son with Lois Lane, as well as the film's less-than-expected domestic haul of $200 million and another $191 million overseas.

Marvel Studios is adopting that let's-try-again strategy with "The Hulk" at Universal, hoping a new pic, starring Edward Norton, will launch a franchise that Ang Lee's 2003 actioner failed to do.

But WB denies such plans and said next pic would be a sequel with Brandon Routh likely to wear the "S" on his chest again. Legendary Pictures is co-developing and co-financing the project.

New pic also will up the action quotient, however -- something Singer promised fanboys at last year's Comic-Con in San Diego.

Dougherty and Harris are pursuing more directing gigs, with Dougherty having recently completed "Trick 'R Treat" at WB as his first pic. He's also looking to pen a graphic novel and children's book.

Harris, who had previously helmed "Imaginary Heroes," is writing and directing "I, Lucifer," based on the book, with Daniel Craig attached to star.

I wouldn't really have a problem with this, I mean I didn't mind Returns that much but having Clark leave for years, Lois getting married, the super-kid, I wasn't really fond of those things so if they want to reset everything then cool. They should totally bring in someone like Darkseid, Doomsday, Bizarro, Zod, Mongul, so Superman can at least throw 1 punch this time around! Returns was quite flat action wise.

From Robert (IESB):

Now that Dan and Mike are not doing the sequel I guess I can finally reveal who the next villain was going to be, right?

Darkseid was the the final villain that they pitched to the studio.

source: IESB

Mark Millar Eyes Superman!

Even though Variety and recently Greg Noveck claimed that WB is still moving forward with a Bryan Singer directed Superman with Brandon Routh still as the lead, I don’t believe it.

Comic Book writer Mark Millar (Wanted, Ultimate Avengers) has just posted an interesting tidbit on his forums:

It's 8.58am right now, my guys at CAA get into the office in about seven hours and my call will be waiting for them to talk about this. I want to revamp Superman like Hillary wants thin ankles. Revamping this franchise is what I as given fingers for and so, invited or not, I'm putting my plan together now. I've been asked to work on half a dozen screenplays lately, but this is the only one I have ever truly wanted.

As most here know, I have literally hundreds of pages of notes and sketches just waiting for this opportunity. This would be my dream gig and, as a fan, I know exactly what this project needs to work. This has to be Superman for the 21st Century, keeping everything we adore, but starting from scratch and making the kids love it as much as the 30-somethings. I would honestly write this thing for free.

Anyway, my treatment is being polished as we type. Wish me luck. I want to do that Superman movie we all want to see.

MM

I for one don’t think that WB is going to green light any Superman project until after the release of Justice League of America and after the pending lawsuit that studio faces due to the disputed rights to character with the Siegel family.

source: IESB

I really wanted a Superman Returns sequel...Actually...what I want more than a Superman Returns sequel, is to see Brandon Routh as Superman again.

• 4 months later...
Ok, here's the big news, Robert has informed me that he has confirmed that yes, Bryan Singer is 100% on the sequel to his 2004 revamp Superman Returns. He has since confirmed this with studio sources so take this one to the bank.

But, with Superman Returns writers Michael Dougherty and Dan Harris out, who will be penning the film?

Word is Transformers/Star Trek scribes Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman are considering being behind the project. This gives Superman fans hope after Returns' mild disappointment amongst fan boys. The pair are apparently in talks and have had "several meetings" regarding the film. No need to worry about a lack of action from these two!

IESB.net

Singer Talks Superman Returns Sequel

Exclusive: Director confirms development

Earlier today, IESB reported that rumours were flying that Bryan Singer was working on a sequel to Superman Returns. Well, we've spoken to Singer and he's confirmed that work's under way on the film that some said would never happen because the first was perceived as a flop.

"That movie made $400 million!" Singer says incredulously. "I don’t know what constitutes under-performing these days...Look, I can understand, I suppose, what some people mean. Perhaps some people went in with the expectation of it being like an X-Men film, and Superman is a tougher character than that. Especially bringing him back. It really goes back to the fact that you can only please some of the people some of the time. But, yes, I’m just getting back with writers after the strike. We’re just in the development phase. I’m starting to develop a sequel...with the intention of directing it."

Singer knows that there was some negative reaction to the fact that the first film focused more on story at the expense of action and is looking to redress that next time.

“The first one was a romantic film and a nostalgic film,” he says. “I’ll be the first person to own up to that without making any apologies for it. I knew it was going to be that from the outset. And now that the characters are established, there’s really an opportunity to up the threat levels...Clearly there’ll be a body count [laughs]. From frame one, it will be unrelenting terror! All those teenage girls who found the movie and mooned over James Marsden or Brandon? Well, I’m going to wake them up!” He may be joking about the unrelenting terror.

We have to say, we actually enjoyed a huge amount about Superman Returns. Brandon Routh made a terrific Superman and Clark Kent and Singer clearly cared about the characters. It was light on action, so it would be great to see a sequel in which we get to actually experience what Supes can really do.

Empire

I think Metallo (a criminal who's brain is transplanted into a super-strong T-800 Endo-Skeleton powered by Kryptonite rock) would be a bit of a stretch for your average movie goer. I think they should go with the Bruce Timm animated series interpretation of Braniac, Krypton's sentient computer mainframe, who comes to Earth in search of Kal-El. This way, at least you'll have a villain with ties to the original mythology and not someone totally out of left field, like Darkseid, or Metallo. Bizzaro would be too silly to work, unless you made him really grotesque and tragic, a la Red Son, and that would just be a downer.

All I know is that if Supes doesn't punch someone through a building in the next film, I'm skipping it.

What is wrong with you people? KNEEL BEFORE ZOD! Or whatever off-brand equivalent they use (Jax-Ur, Dev-Em, etcetera) in the sequel.

I agree that the animated series made a good move tying Brainiac into Krypton. Besides for the reasons you mentioned I also feel that it allows greater leeway in concocting Bottle City stories and that sort of stuff.

Actually, if I had my way, pretty much all of Superman's villains would have strong ties to Krypton. Mxyzpltk as the trickster god in Rao's pantheon! Bizarro as the primordial neandarthalish Missing Link of the earliest Kryptonians! Metallo's kryptonite heart a sentient power source at the planet's core! Parasite's original viral form traced back to the Scarlet Jungle! Toyman & Prankster.... umm.... would be.... also somehow related to Krypton in some vague fashion!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.