Superman: Man of Steel

lovecraftian

There are some characters (usually the iconic ones or even many of the villains) where a large part of what makes them unique is expressed by the way they're regarded by others. Even if that's true of Hal Jordan I'm still not sure that it is enough to make me see him as anything other than Captain Bland.

He flies a plane and has brown hair. Gets knocked out a lot. No big deal to me.

Are you effin' kiddin' me? Hal Jordan is the Captain Kirk of the DC Universe.

He's also an idiotic showoff, a convicted alcoholic, and a pedo. Hal's never been able to hold a title on his own for long, simply because he has no personality. He's a cardboard cut-out hero. The only stories worth reading with him in it are the ones where he's teamed up with others (Green Arrow, Flash, the JLA). By himself, the guy's dull as hell.

And don't even give me that whole Hal turned evil and killed a bunch of people thing. He was being controlled by an alien, so that doesn't count. tongue.gif John Stewart always f*cked up on his own, with no influence...and then whined about it later.

Worst retcon ever, right down there with bringing back Aunt May. They finally do something interesting with the guy and make him worth reading about on his own and they retcon it. For what? I mean, he's done so much on his own since they brought him back...Oh, wait, he hasn't.

Rebirth was a hell of a retcon, I thought. I liked that none of it seemed forced, and it actually went and gave some significant answers to questions other than just "Why did Hall go nuts?". Making sense of the yellow impurity was a bigger deal to me than redeeming Hal, actually. Its actually hard for me to imagine now that fans just accepted for so long that the rings didn't effect anything yellow for no reason whatsoever.

I still am a Kyle Rayner fan, though. I thought he was a damn cool creation who unfortunately gets overshadowed with the events of how his predecessor fell.

That's just my take though, your mileage may vary, to take a page from our resident comics guru himself.

I still am a Kyle Rayner fan, though. I thought he was a damn cool creation who unfortunately gets overshadowed with the events of how his predecessor fell.

While I don't hate Hal, I'm more of a Kyle Rayner guy myself. Does anyone else remember Hal at the beginning of his team-ups with Green Arrow? He was SUPER-NAIVE and pretty damn self-righteous... Still, he was a well-written character.

In the end, however, Kyle Rayner is just more likeable and believeable. I'd like to see Kyle Rayner in a GL movie.

I guess it is subjective. Hal will always be one of my favorite DC characters. I have to admit, I do like Kyle too. Too bad DC doesn't know what to do with him.

Also, I think another reason Hal is my favorite is that, when I ask myself which GL I would most want to rely on during a crisis - out of Hal, John, Guy, or Kyle - without hesitation, I'd have to say Hal. He's the one that always knows what to do. John would have an existential meltdown, Guy would end up knocked out due to carelessness, and Kyle would end up having to call on the Justice League.

Hal would arrive and whip all the others into shape and lead them to victory. He's a natural leader. Just read the above-mentioned Rebirth, which is one of the best DC stories in recent memory. You'll see what I mean. By the way, I thought it rang pretty true. It is one hell of a retcon. What did it accomplish? It brought back the true Green Lantern of Sector 2814. That's all I need.

IESB:

Casting for JLA Begins Next Week!

Written by Robert Sanchez

Tuesday, 21 August 2007

It’s a big week for comic book fans as more news continues to break about the Justice League of America feature film.

We are getting loads of more news regarding JLA and the next round goes to our buddy Clint from Moviehole.

He has confirmed our earlier story that Justice League will indeed start shooting early ’08 and that casting will begin immediately. He also brings the news that Brandon Routh and Christian Bale will not be part of the ensemble film.

Let me clear some confusion, Batman and Superman are the central characters of the Justice League film that will now be played by different actors.

WB is looking for a complete new cast for the multi-hero team up and that casting will begin as early as next week.

The IESB has been told that early meetings have already taken place for certain key roles and to expect announcements very soon. Just in case there was any doubt, George Miller is 100% locked in as the director.

Once again, the confirmed heroes are Superman, Batman, the Flash, Aquaman, Wonder Woman and the Green Lantern.

We are working on a couple of leads that are indicating what actors may be up for a couple key roles. Stay tuned to the IESB as we bring you the latest from JLA!

MOVIEHOLE:

Justice League confirmations

Date : August 22, 2007 Posted By : Kirby Kegar

Update! :Yes, its true that Brandon Routh and Christian Bale won't be starring as Superman and Batman, respectively, in the "Justice League" movie - but they will both still be starring in the stand-alone "Superman" and "Batman" sequels. So don't fret fans, there will only be a new Bats and Supes for the team-up movie.

I was speaking to a pal at Warner Bros this morning who let slip that the "Justice League" movie is just as full-steam ahead as the rumours suggest it is. It will definitely be up next year.

A casting director for the movie will be onboard next week and it's then that they'll be going after their tighted strongmen.

Director George Miller ("Mad Max") has some ideas who he'd like to cast as Batman and Superman but naturally, they mightn't be the same faces the WB want. Either way, doesn't sound like Christian Bale or Brandon Routh will be involved in the film. I assume that's a financial thing.

(Update : We have been informed by another source at Warner Bros that it will be an all-new cast and that Bale and Routh will NOT be back (that DOESN'T mean Bale and Routh won't be reprising their roles in solo adventures).)

So within the next month we should start seeing a few announcements about the movie.

Meanwhile, our friends at IESB had a chat to Christian Bale who confirmed that he hasn't been asked back to don the tar cape.

I thought Rebirth was godawful. The whole thing read like a Hal Jordan lovefest where there was something wrong with you if you weren't ready to get down and worship Hal as "The Best Green Lantern Ever!". Not to mention, the horrible inconsistencies in it. Parallax is a yellow fear demon that was trapped inside the Power Battery? Well, gee, you'd think Ganthet or one of the other Guardians might have mentioned that after Hal gave himself that name.

Hal manages to take down Batman with one punch? Not on his best ****ing day. It takes so much willpower to use the rings that Green Arrow was left completely wasted after making one lousy construct? Yeah, way to make Ollie look like a chump. He should have twice as much willpower as Hal.

So a company went and made a major change (a ballsy one, at that), but as always the whiny comic fans who can't stand change had to piss and moan and start their pathetic little Hal fan club (let's forget about all the real life causes these people could have spent their time and money on) and DC had to go and hit the big reset button and put everything back exactly the way it was. I wonder how long it'll be until Blue Beetle comes back for some pointless reason.

So as you can see, I can't stand Hal. I loved Parallax, though. He was an actual character and not just a guy with a super-power. Hell, I would have collected a Parallax series.

I thought Rebirth was godawful. The whole thing read like a Hal Jordan lovefest where there was something wrong with you if you weren't ready to get down and worship Hal as "The Best Green Lantern Ever!".
Well...that's because he IS the best Green Lantern ever. ;)

Justice League to be a CGI/Motion Capture Film!?

Source: IESB.net August 22, 2007

One of the most talked-about topics online these days is Warner Bros.' Justice League of America adaptation, which Happy Feet director George Miller is reportedly attached to.

Reports have said that the superhero team-up movie would include Batman, Superman, The Flash, Aquaman, Wonder Woman and the Green Lantern, that casting would start next week, and that Christian Bale (Batman Begins, The Dark Knight) and Brandon Routh (Superman, Superman: Man of Steel) would not be involved.

It didn't quite make sense how Warner Bros. would be able to pull it off, but perhaps now we know how they can. IESB.net says that the movie might be a CGI/performance capture project, much like The Polar Express, and the upcoming Beowulf and Avatar. Here's a bit of the scoop the site received:

However, and take this with a grain of salt, Imageworks are apparently in the running to provide services on the JLA film, competing with R&H and possibly WETA (the latter being unconfirmed).

But the real interesting thing about this is that the contract is for an all-cgi "photo-real" motion capture movie, much like the upcoming Beowulf.

If the reports hold up, expect Justice League of America to go into production early 2008.

Somehow, this relieves me. Something tells me that WB would screw up a live-action JLA movie, if the rumors were true. I consider this good news.

Justice League to be a CGI/Motion Capture Film!?

Source: IESB.net August 22, 2007

One of the most talked-about topics online these days is Warner Bros.' Justice League of America adaptation, which Happy Feet director George Miller is reportedly attached to.

It didn't quite make sense how Warner Bros. would be able to pull it off, but perhaps now we know how they can. IESB.net says that the movie might be a CGI/performance capture project, much like The Polar Express, and the upcoming Beowulf and Avatar....

Somehow, this relieves me. Something tells me that WB would screw up a live-action JLA movie, if the rumors were true. I consider this good news.

Agreed. If this is the case then we know it wouldn't interfere with the Superman and Batman franchises.

What's he done that's so impressive?

*cough*

Sodal Yat.

Has he appeared anywhere other than the proposed "Twilight of the Superheroes"?

He's appearing in the Sinestro Corps storyline going through the GL and GLC titles right now.

Quick clarification :

He originally appeared in the Alan Moore short story featuring Jordan's predecessor, Abin Sur. It involved prophesies of both Sur's own death as well as the eventual destruction of the entire Corps. The current storyline maintains that the conflict we're seeing now is the one that was foretold.

There's nothing all that cool about Sodal Yat in and of himself and the very reason I selected him is the same one for which I reject Hal Jordan. People seem to like Jordan because they're TOLD he's great and I like Sodal Yat because Alan Moore TOLD us he's great. It's just that I give more weight to Alan Moore's one-panel contribution than to the praise granted to Jordan by a slew of other authors.

Technically, of course, the "Greatest Green Lantern of All!" was Superman. He just never got the chance.

I'm confused about the tone of this upcoming film, particularly with regards to Batman & Superman.

Batman is hugely dark and Superman is almost the polar opposite. How would they reconcile this?

(I'm basing this on the current movie franchises (Nolan's Batman vs. Singer's Supes).

Also, I find Superman incredibly boring. That is all.

Batman is hugely dark and Superman is almost the polar opposite. How would they reconcile this?

(I'm basing this on the current movie franchises (Nolan's Batman vs. Singer's Supes).

There's a 40+ year history of the two working together.

How would they reconcile it? Probably pretty much the same way Wolverine and Cyclops did in the X-Men trilogy. (Only, let's hope Superman will be portrayed less whiny and weepy then Cyclops was!)

There's a 40+ year history of the two working together.

That and despite the superficial appearances, if you really truly take a look at the Batman you'll find that he is the ultimate optimist - he believes that the villains that comprise his rogues gallery can be, to borrow a phrase, brought back from the darkside [they'd still need to pay for their crimes though]. There is no doubt that the Joker has earned the death sentence a hundred times over - and yet the Joker continually ends up in Arkham Asylum rather than on Death Row.

The two personas mesh perfectly well... they are the classic action buddy cop formula... before it turned into a stupid comedy first premise (I'm looking at you Rush Hour... and others).

You just reminded me of the Dragnet movie :( ...

What's he done that's so impressive?

We're getting way off-topic here but since you ask:

The man's a fearless test pilot, a born leader, has one of the coolest origins in comics, has rebuilt and trained the GL Corps after the Guardians abandoned Oa, has led the Justice League (Europe), defeated Sinestro countless times, is a true ladies' man, has participated in several landmark (and socially relevant) adventures with Green Arrow, AND returned from the dead.

I'd say that's pretty impressive. You may not like Hal, Dom, but I think he's pretty amazing.

That and despite the superficial appearances, if you really truly take a look at the Batman you'll find that he is the ultimate optimist - he believes that the villains that comprise his rogues gallery can be, to borrow a phrase, brought back from the darkside [they'd still need to pay for their crimes though]. There is no doubt that the Joker has earned the death sentence a hundred times over - and yet the Joker continually ends up in Arkham Asylum rather than on Death Row.
Absolutely right, Shadow. You brilliantly described Batman. It's for reasons above that separate a hero like Batman from an anti-hero like The Punisher.

The man's a fearless test pilot, a born leader, has one of the coolest origins in comics, has rebuilt and trained the GL Corps after the Guardians abandoned Oa, has led the Justice League (Europe), defeated Sinestro countless times, is a true ladies' man, has participated in several landmark (and socially relevant) adventures with Green Arrow, AND returned from the dead.

I'd say that's pretty impressive. You may not like Hal, Dom, but I think he's pretty amazing.

None of that is particularly impressive as far as super-heroes go. Kyle did a heck of a lot more amazing feats with his ring in ten years than Hal did in thirty-five.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.