Superman: Man of Steel

lovecraftian

What villains should we see in MOS, or JLA for that manner? Should we see the beginnings of the Legion of Doom, much like Magneto forming the Brotherhood of Mutants in the X-Men trilogy? With 13 villains to choose from, where should they start?

To help you all decide, I pulled this list of names of LOD members from wikipedia (I put asterisks next to the names I'd like to see in the movie):

Bizarro*

Black Manta (too Darth Vader-y, IMO)

Brainiac*

Captain Cold (Mr. Freeze rip-off)

Cheetah

Giganta

Gorilla Grodd* (perhaps played by Michael Clarke Duncan? Or is it too soon after Tim Burton's Planet of the Apes?)

Lex Luthor*

Riddler*

Scarecrow* (Providing he isn't killed off in TDK)

Sinestro*

Solomon Grundy

Toyman

I guess i can't understand people who say SupesReturns didn't have enough action. However, i will say that the Airplane in distress that superman safly lands in the Baseball stadium is as exciting as ANyTHing that was in any previous Superman film.

What villains should we see in MOS, or JLA for that manner? Should we see the beginnings of the Legion of Doom, much like Magneto forming the Brotherhood of Mutants in the X-Men trilogy? With 13 villains to choose from, where should they start?

To help you all decide, I pulled this list of names of LOD members from wikipedia (I put asterisks next to the names I'd like to see in the movie):

Bizarro*

Black Manta (too Darth Vader-y, IMO)

Brainiac*

Captain Cold (Mr. Freeze rip-off)

Cheetah

Giganta

Gorilla Grodd* (perhaps played by Michael Clarke Duncan? Or is it too soon after Tim Burton's Planet of the Apes?)

Lex Luthor*

Riddler*

Scarecrow* (Providing he isn't killed off in TDK)

Sinestro*

Solomon Grundy

Toyman

One name you left off the list that I would like to see is Doomsday. Explain away his origins as being a creation by Kryptonians. I would also like to see another Kryptonian creation, Brainiac. The two of them together against Superman would be interesting.

I'm looking forward very much to MoS, and I also hope a JLA film gets made, although that could be disastrous!

As for the villain for the next Superman flick, I've always wanted to see Lex Luthor get a ****ing rest from these films (please!) and let someone else have their turn. I vote for Brainiac. Some very interesting possibilities there, and if handled well I could see it being a much better film than Superman Returns (although I liked that quite a bit).

I'm really glad Singer is talking more "adult" for this flick though. The series really needs to escape the current status quo it seems to be sitting at. Not that I don't enjoy the Donner throwback that was Superman Returns, I'd just like to see him do something a little more Singer-style. He's proven with the X-Men that he can do superhero style and feel very well on his own. I'd like to see a bit more of his take on the Man of Steel.

Very much anticipating this, as it is. And I'll go see it no matter what.

Not exactly Man of Steel news but anyway...

IESB Exclusive: The Latest on the Upcoming Justice League of America Film!

It basically says that Singer has already signed on for Man of Steel, WB liked his take on the sequel and the script is beeing written. But WB, also, wants a JL film in 2009. They have a script, they're not sure if they'll bring Routh back and George Miller might direct.

This is a little confusing...WB should make an announcement for sure. Personaly, I want to see Man of Steel in 2009 and a JL film later. Both with Brandon Routh. If they go ahead with a JL movie then at least keep Routh...and Bale of course.

Guest The Wicked God Thanos
For the "Returns" haters, why did you hate it so much? I don't understand what was so terrible about the movie.

I didn't hate it, just wasn't impressed. Visually, it was awesome. Story-wise, kinda lame. Should have been a reboot like Batman Begins, rather than relying on the first 2 movies as a backstory. THe thing I liked the least was Superman having a kid~ that is alternte reality stuff. Superman doesn't have a kid in the normal Superman universe.

Actually, it did have action. I think when people mean that SR needed more action, they mean that SR needed a supervillain. Someone Superman could have a fight with. At least thats what I get...

I agree entirely. The action was fun, especially the plane scene; however, Luthor has been SO heavily involved in the film series, he's almost become a background piece, as opposed to a real villain. The fans want to see a supervillain that Supes can actually FIGHT, as opposed to out-think. I'd actually love to see Metallo or the Parasite. Bizarro would be fantastic as well.

It's funny-- in comics I always tired of yet more and more villains who had the physical capacity to fight Superman-- which of course culminated in Doomsday, which I always thought was a stupid gimmick. I always preferred those villains that could out-wit superman, which Luthor was the best of.

And yet in a movie, I actually find myself agreeing in that that special effects and action might be served with Supes in a toe to toe brawl with somebody.. hence my repeated suggestion of having Braniac or Luthor hatching a scheme, and contriving Bizzarro to physically deal with Superman.

Ecven though those events weren't on film, I think they've already touched on the impact of it. The movie began as a "world without Superman," and the 3rd act began with Superman dying in the hospital.

Those things removed from The Death of Superman just leaves the Doomsday fight.

Ecven though those events weren't on film, I think they've already touched on the impact of it. The movie began as a "world without Superman," and the 3rd act began with Superman dying in the hospital.

Those things removed from The Death of Superman just leaves the Doomsday fight.

True. I suppose it'd be sorta pointless to rehash them in a different formula now. But after reading the article from that link, I think I'd actually prefer the JLA movie now as opposed to a new stand alone Superman.

How can there be a Superman Returns sequel AND a Justice League movie both in the works? Would Routh be playing Superman in both films? Will SRII be cancelled in favor of JLA? So many questions and a lot of uncertainty.

I just read a report on Darkhorizons that basically says that both Routh and Bale are contracted to 3 films as their respective characters.

The JLA film that is being rushed to completed script before the writer's strike is primarily a launching point for Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Laantern and Martian Manhunter. If it does well, then they can finally justify the spin off to movies for all those characters.

The likelihood is that Bale and Routh will appear in the film as Batman and Superman since they are already contracted.

How can there be a Superman Returns sequel AND a Justice League movie both in the works? Would Routh be playing Superman in both films? Will SRII be cancelled in favor of JLA? So many questions and a lot of uncertainty.

I just read a report on Darkhorizons that basically says that both Routh and Bale are contracted to 3 films as their respective characters.

The JLA film that is being rushed to completed script before the writer's strike is primarily a launching point for Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Lantern and Martian Manhunter. If it does well, then they can finally justify the spin off to movies for all those characters.

The likelihood is that Bale and Routh will appear in the film as Batman and Superman since they are already contracted.

I don't know about Routh, but doesn't that mean that Bale is contracted for three BATMAN films? If so, that means he might not necessarily play Bats in a JLA flick. Believe me, I'd love to see Bale and Routh in a JLA flick; however, movies of this type tend to wear out the actors who play the heroes (ie. Toby Maguire in the Spidey series).

On a different note...

Casting ideas, anyone? IMO:

Batman: Christian Bale

Superman: Brandon Routh

Wonder Woman: ???

Green Lantern (John Stewart): ???

The Flash: Ryan Reynolds

Martian Manhunter: ???

What do y'all think?

Laugh if you want, but I think Neil Patrick Harris would be a good Flash.

Edit: weird. I had assumed that NPH already had played Flash at some point, possibly in the JL:U cartoon series. I suppose because the actor who had voiced him before sounds so much like him already. But after doing some Googling, it turns out that he hasn't before, but will in a direct to DVD animated movie out early next year. So apparently, someone up top was already thinking of him for the role before I was.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.