Superman: Man of Steel

lovecraftian

Both Supes and JLA are in the works as we speak. Apparently George Miller (Mad Max, Happy Feet) has been hired for the job.

As for Man of Steel, Singer has said a number of times that he's going to make the film much more adult, and will focus more on action than Superman's emotional problems. I think he said he was going to make a "Wrath of Khan" version, if you can picture that.

They should go ahead with MoS. I liked Superman Returns and Routh was awesome as Superman imo. Plus a JL film would be risky. It might be awesome but it could also ruin the characters included. Also, what would happen with Nolan's Batman films? Would he make a third? Would Bale be in JL?

I think they should have MoS along with other solo films (Wonder Woman, Flash etc), then release a sequel to MoS with some more solo films (Green Lantern, MM etc) and then release JL....or make a World's Finest before JL too.

But, yeah...There have been a lot rumors about the SR sequel. For the past few months we get news about it every now and then. We get good news, then a week or so later we get bad news. This will probably keep going on until WB makes an official announcement.

The latest official statement came from Alan Horn (is that his name? I dont remember) of WB that said he needs to see a script for the sequel before they say the OK and they'd approve a budget of 175mil. or so.

see if they make a JL movie newer versions of such things as Flash, Green Lantern, or even the Martian Manhunter they are puttin actors into the role meaning that a director couldnt chose someone else for his solo movie i doubt a jl movie will be done before all members have been done

A true JLA movie won't happenb until they can milke at least 3 movies each out of Batman and superman, and at least 1 movie outof the Flash, Wonder Woman and Green Lantern.

That's what should happen. WB though seems that wants a JL film. They already have a script for it and they're looking for directors...So...who knows.

I was actually hoping a sequel would get a new director. Everyone was all over Singer's nuts when he signed on for Superman Returns, but I just wasn't feeling it after finding out it would be based on the Donner films rather a new vision. I love Superman I and II, but Singer has like, an obsession with them. Its the only way I can imagine why he wouldn't understand that those films are 30 years old and a very small amount, if any, of the current generation of movie-goers has a special place for those films in their heart like he does. Hell those first two movies hold a special place with me and even I knew that expanding on those films would be a mistake.

With all that said I thought as a stand-alone film it was good, enjoyed it in the theaters and own the DVD. I just am not sure how much my feelings for the first two films have to do with that. I mean, I can imagine someone who's never even seen the original Superman films being completely lost. Anyway, I just still can't help though what could've been with a creative, yet true to the character, reimagining of the Superman story for the big screen, but will hope that as much originality can now be spun out of this sequel and Singer stops limiting himself due to aging incarnations.

I liked Superman Returns alright. It was pretty cool but I'm with Jason in thinking that it drew too much on the Donner films and didn't have it's own voice. I'd also have just preferred a new retelling of the origin story. Imagine a Superman version of how Batman Begins handled the origin story. That would have been awesome, but now the chance for that is blown.

I was thinking about MoS and whatn they could do with it. Maybe they can do something like Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer and bring in another character like Martian Manhunter or Green Lanturn to fight along side Superman. I have a feeling that they will bring in the Bizzaro story wtih the Bizarro planet (see deleted Superman Returns scene.) But to make it more interesting they could bring in a second DC hero with his arch nemisis that fights along Luther and Bizarro.

I was thinking about MoS and whatn they could do with it. Maybe they can do something like Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer and bring in another character like Martian Manhunter or Green Lanturn to fight along side Superman. I have a feeling that they will bring in the Bizzaro story wtih the Bizarro planet (see deleted Superman Returns scene.) But to make it more interesting they could bring in a second DC hero with his arch nemisis that fights along Luther and Bizarro.

That's a good idea. Perhaps the Guardians have discovered something resembling Krypton and they could contact Kal-El and pair him with Hal Jordan or Kyle Rayner to go check it out. Then maybe they could end up fighting Mongul or Darkseid, who projected the image in order to lead out the GL Corps to get rid of them.

Or if it were Martian Manhunter, perhaps they could meet in outer space and just bond over the whole last-son-of-a-dead-planet thing. And fight Bizarros or something...

PS. There was a deleted BIZARRO scene in Superman Returns?

Brandon Routh is a good actor. I'm surprised I didnt see him in other movies since Superman Returns came out.

Man of Steel should have another villian besides Lex Luthor.

Anyways, I'm excited for this. Probably will come out 2009, which is a long time to wait for me.

I liked Superman Returns alright. It was pretty cool but I'm with Jason in thinking that it drew too much on the Donner films and didn't have it's own voice. I'd also have just preferred a new retelling of the origin story. Imagine a Superman version of how Batman Begins handled the origin story. That would have been awesome, but now the chance for that is blown.

I agree thaat it needed its own voice, but I don't agree it should have been an origin story. EVERYONE knows Superman's origins. He is the best know superhero, there isn't a person alive that knows who he is that doesn't know his origin.

Plus, with Smallville on TV, we try and compete.

RETURNS was a decent approach, I just wanted MORE. Plus, now thaat it has established itself, in can go in its own direction.

That's a good idea. Perhaps the Guardians have discovered something resembling Krypton and they could contact Kal-El and pair him with Hal Jordan or Kyle Rayner to go check it out. Then maybe they could end up fighting Mongul or Darkseid, who projected the image in order to lead out the GL Corps to get rid of them.

Or if it were Martian Manhunter, perhaps they could meet in outer space and just bond over the whole last-son-of-a-dead-planet thing. And fight Bizarros or something...

PS. There was a deleted BIZARRO scene in Superman Returns?

No, it was a deleted scene showing the 'New Krypton' that Luther created, now expanded to the size of a small planet, was now a new planet orbiting between Mars and Jupitor. If Superman's blood (from the stabbing with sharp Kryptonite) mixes with the crystals etc. then maybe a clone...hence Bizarro...would form.

For the "Returns" haters, why did you hate it so much? I don't understand what was so terrible about the movie.

It wasn't horrible... It just wasn't that exciting. I mean, the characterizations were okay, Brandon Routh is an excellent choice for Superman, and the effects were enjoyable.

HOWEVER:

Super-Baby is, IMO, one of the worst ideas in comic book cinema.

I'm sorry, but they truly should have taken advantage of the semi-reboot status of the film to right some wrongs that occurred in the series (ie. Dead Papa Kent? Urgh.).

For the "Returns" haters, why did you hate it so much? I don't understand what was so terrible about the movie.

I liked it, I just felt it went in a great new direction with the whole idea of the world losing Superman-- there was more to be mined there. Instead it was all put on the Lois / Superman relationship.

Super-son is kind meh, cause it's not something you can forgot, and it is also something that feels off if it is a spot-light.

i was also put off by relying on the Donner films so much.

I'm okay without a ton of action, there was enough impressive super-action to satisfy me, but the third act was kind anti-climactic. Luthor's plot was kinda banal.

Again though-- these are problems I kinda have with Superman mythos in general, so I wasn't pre-disposed to loving the film.

I didn't HATE it, but there could have been more. A sequel might do it. Let's let Luthor hook up with Braniac and clone Bizzaro and just up the stakes.

I would put money on Stewart's Green Lantern before Hal Jordan's.

I'm perfectly fine with Brandon Routh's return as Superman. I thought he did an excellent imitation of Christopher Reeve's portrayal...which isn't a bad thing. In fact, I enjoyed Superman Returns a great deal, solely for the nostalgia factor and BECAUSE Routh reminded me so much of Reeve. I have to admit, though, I'm glad this next one is emphasizing more action. Superman Returns established his comeback. Superman: The Man of Steel is free to get down to business and actually have Superman KICK SOME ASS.

BTW, Hal Jordan MUST be Green Lantern for the movies. I'll boycott any GL film without him.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.