Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Cloverfield

• Please log in to reply
445 replies to this topic

gescom7

gescom7

• Members
  • 2,246 posts
Clues:
http://www.slashfilm...iler-now-online

http://www.slashfilm...eos-on-youtube/

http://www.slashfilm...eld-gone-viral/

Viral Site:
http://www.ethanhaaswasright.com/

*Complete the puzzles for video clues... or search youtube (lazy ass).

R.CAllen

R.CAllen

walking

• 4,052 posts
I'm starting to think this is gonna be like the second coming of "Snakes on a Plane". Because it's starting to look like the methods of promotion (or lack of such) are going to be the hype around this more than the movie itself.

"Oooooh! It is a secret movie of secrecy! Make our opening box office numbers, Internet!"

Then again, Drew Goddard is writing it. So I might as well give Felicialiaost (I have decided to combine the names of all the J.J Abrams shows rather than using the studio's placeholder title) the benefit of the doubt.

Tank

Tank

Driver

• 34,686 posts
I personally think abrams missses more than hits. Alias and Lost were both only good for 2 seasons in my opinion and MI3 was meh.

I'm still nervous he has the Trek reigns

R.CAllen

R.CAllen

walking

• 4,052 posts
Abrams seems to have a lot of difficulty if he has to maintain a project for too long or extend it past the original concept. So long as he's only at the helm of a single Star Trek movie I think it could be just as good as, say, First Contact. But then again : I thought MI3 was stylish and well done. Someone had clearly buffed up the dialogue and tweaked the plot so that things were enough above average fare to keep me liking it.

Tank

Tank

Driver

• 34,686 posts
Did you notice is nearly the same plot as the pilot episode of Alias?

R.CAllen

R.CAllen

walking

• 4,052 posts
And features plot pieces and scenery from scattered points in Alias' awesome first season? Yeah. I noticed.

It had Philip Seymour Hoffman doing the trademark Tom Cruise smile. And a villain with the motivation that he had to serve his country even if that meant making a deal with the devil. And lines like "I don't care about you, son, but I will bleed on the flag to keep those stripes red" and Laurence Fishburne in general. Simon Pegg had a cameo spot. They tie a little bonnet around the fact that the McGuffin in these movies never really matters. The girl gets shot in the head in the first twelve seconds. Tom Cruise gets knocked off his feet by engine backdraft and is thrown sideways into a car.

At the very least it was far better than the second one.

Iceheart

Iceheart

No.

• Moderators
  • 20,505 posts

http://www.slashfilm...eos-on-youtube/

That first "Ethan Hass Was Right" video looks like Joel/Mike and the 'Bots are sitting in the bottom edge of the screen :lol:

D-Ray Kenobi

D-Ray Kenobi

Back off man, I'm a scientist.

• 15,256 posts
As a side note, whoever it is handling the marketing for this movie is genius. It seems the innerweb as a whole is talking about this movie more than Transformers.

Iceheart

Iceheart

No.

• Moderators
  • 20,505 posts
Ditto D-Ray :yes:

Exodus

Exodus

Making This Sh*t Cool Again

• 27,292 posts
Low-quality version of the trailer in question:

Dr. Ifto

Dr. Ifto

6,005 polygons per krundle

• 11,652 posts
I know people who went to see Transformers, after I told them about the commercial, and we couldnt find it on YouTube.

Sir RamaLamaDingDong

Sir RamaLamaDingDong

smarter than the average bear

• Members
  • 8,614 posts
Saw Transformers today and the trailer was not there.

sucks.

I wont be seeing Robots dressed as cars again so I guess I just miss out.

Iridium

Iridium

Dark Lord of the Sith

• Members
  • 868 posts
Chtulu...interesting. I never thought of that, but it could definitely turn out cool if it were.

Sir RamaLamaDingDong

Sir RamaLamaDingDong

smarter than the average bear

• Members
  • 8,614 posts
I've heard of Cthulhu, but I had no idea what it was. I Googled it and all I could get is pics of an evil green squid thing.

So, it's basically a giant squid-man with wings?

Posted Image

The Shadow

The Shadow

Resident Kaijuologist

• Members
  • 11,282 posts
Cthulhu is a creation of H.P. Lovecraft: The wiki article on the Cthulhu gives a pretty good rundown on the subject. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cthulhu

Tank

Tank

Driver

• 34,686 posts
those too lazy to link--

It's a giant beast that is one seven old gods from space that was imprisoned on earth. Every country in the world, and every religion makes mention of it somehwere, and many cults exist that worship it.

The exact size, nature and abilities of it diffeer from story to story, but in the end it is a giant tentacled, wingled watery beast.

Jason Solo

Jason Solo

Gotta Get Down

• Members
  • 28,392 posts
If this is true what are the chances of them using The Call of Ktulu from Ride The Lightning at some point in the film? :)

EwoksSuck

EwoksSuck

Til All Are One

• Members
  • 31,462 posts
The thing with JJ Abrams is I bet he never shows the damn thing. He will tease us with it and then at the end just when we are about to see what it is the story will flash foward and we will find something "shocking" out that will lead to a sequel but never get answers for all the questions we had about the film we just wasted two hours of lives watching. But I'm not bitter about LOST or anything.

Jason Solo

Jason Solo

Gotta Get Down

• Members
  • 28,392 posts
Its an incredibly flawed and unfair gripe/comparison/assumption to make, however. Its impossible to gauge how this film will go comparing it to his television show, one of which has 48 more hours worth (not two) of film in which to tell the completed story. Kinda a huge difference.

I mean I don't wanna turn this into a Lost-debate, its just the point is you can't judge how this man's film will go by his television show is going, like the program or not. They're such different mediums.

D-Ray Kenobi

D-Ray Kenobi

• 15,256 posts
He's right, though. And not just because of Lost either. Abrams continually has proven himself to rely too much on overly ambitious and ambiguous McGuffins. Remember that whole "Rabbits Foot" thing from Mission Impossible 3? That was pretty much the laziest and cheapest way possible to drive a plot forward in the history of time.

Jason Solo

Jason Solo

Gotta Get Down

• Members
  • 28,392 posts
If he has that reputation with his feature films then I'll concede that, I have no reason not to trust your word (fact is now that I think about it, I don't know if I've seen any of his features...I know I haven't seen any of the MI movies because they didn't interest me in the least). But I won't budge that its entirely unfair to use Lost as any sort of example. Especially when you consider that Abrams actually has very little to do with that show anymore, really. But again if this is a reputation on his features, then I see the concern.

D-Ray Kenobi

D-Ray Kenobi

• 15,256 posts
For one thing, let us not forget that J.J. Abrams is the literary genius behind such gems as critic favorite Armageddon, straight to DVD Joy Ride, and the masterpiece classic Gone Fishin'. In short, Trekkies have every reason to be overly cautious of this guy. Though, he's only serving as a producer for this film which should limit his influence.

Dude's seriously overrated.

Exodus

Exodus

Making This Sh*t Cool Again

• 27,292 posts
Yeah, like many people in todays pop culture are.

My interest in this particular thing has nothing to do with his involvement.

Mara Jade Skywalker

Mara Jade Skywalker

Unpaid Disney Shill

• Members
  • 34,732 posts
Exactly, Exodus. The trailer had me hooked before his name even came onscreen.

Tank

Tank

Driver

• 34,686 posts
I think Abrams does better when limited o two hours. He just can't sustain in the long run. Alias and Lost were great for the first couple years