Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Cloverfield

• Please log in to reply
445 replies to this topic

TuskenRaider

TuskenRaider

decommissioned

• 32,568 posts
I loved it in the Theater and picked it up on DVD yesterday.

The extras didn't do a lot that I already know. I still have to watch the larger documentaries, but the deleted scenes and alternate endings didn't really clear up much of anything.

Though this time around I DID catch something falling into the ocean in the last bit of the movie, when they were on the ferris wheel or whatever. Something definately fell from the sky and crashed into the water.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

Supra-Awesome Badass PIE Pimp

• 42,592 posts
Oh yeah, about that, I have NO ****ing idea how anyone caught that their first time in the theater. Maybe it was more clear on the big screen, but even knowing there was something to be seen and where to look, I still had to run my DVD back and forth about six times before I finally saw it. :lol:

TuskenRaider

TuskenRaider

decommissioned

• 32,568 posts
I noticed it right away on my DVD viewing and I'd forgotten that it was even there. I caught it out of the corner of my eye, and i rewound it back to see it clearly.

Guest_The_return_of_thanos_*

• Guests
I rented this movie tonite, to re-watch it. I had to fast forward to the part where the monster first appears. I couldn't take the beginning.

Rock

Rock

Self High-Five

• 38,751 posts
I just saw it for the first time and I had SUCH a good time! I can't remember the last time I was that much into a movie. I had not seen a single trailer or anything, so I had no idea what to expect. From the first JOLT in the apartment, I knew I was in for a ride. I loved how the monsters didn't look like anything recognizable. I had no idea what was going on, which I think was the intent. All I knew what was what the main characters knew and that rocked. I don't see how anyone couldn't like this movie, unless they were just reading too much into it and nit picking it to death. They took a concept that was VERY unoriginal and put a VERY original spin on it.

Can't wait to watch it again! Great fun!

Rock

Rock

Self High-Five

• 38,751 posts
I woke up a lil while ago and watched it again. My only complaint is that I wish it was longer. LOVED the subway scene. LOVED the scene where the military was fighting the monster right over Hud. LOVED the sudden ending.

And I didn't catch the meteor the first time, but I saw it this morning, now that I knew to look for it. Very cool. My favorite movies this year by far.

Wally Q

Wally Q

Sockimus

• Members
  • 13,023 posts
It was a satellite.

TuskenRaider

TuskenRaider

decommissioned

• 32,568 posts
Glad you liked it, Rock. The concept of the thing is the BEST. It throws you right in there and tells you absolutely nothing. Thats what make is so immersive!

D-Ray Kenobi

D-Ray Kenobi

Back off man, I'm a scientist.

• 15,256 posts
I also watched this again via Netflix a few nights ago. Still love it. Probably more so this time around now that I can take it all in visually without getting dizzy. This movie is in dire need of a sequel (or prequel) pretty soon.

Hammurabi-Sith

Hammurabi-Sith

Eye for an eye you liberal hippies!

• Members
  • 2,689 posts
The main difference between Cloverfield and Blair Witch was that Blair Witch sucked and Cloverfield was somewhat competent and entertaining.

The only thing Blair Witch did better than ANY other movie in movie history was marketing. The marketing for this film is what sold an otherwise piece of crap film that anyone with a few bucks and a weekend could do. The marketing was genius. Selling the film as being real and that posting missing signs at college campuses etc.....was a stroke of genius.

I enjoyed Cloverfield because it was nice to have a film that was sort of fun to watch and reminded me of old monster movies. The other thing I appreciated was not knowing what the creature was or why it was here. To me that is more frightening by not knowing.

Take the crappy remake or reenvisioning of Halloween a film that didn't need to be touched. Michael Myers is creepy because we don't know why he snapped. However with the new film you get to find out why Myers did what he did because he lived in your stereotypical abusive household with a drunk as a dad and a slut for a mom etc....... been done a million times over.

There is more of a supernatural ora surrounding Myers by not knowing why he does what he does in the original. Not too mention how the hell does someone have a huge growth spurt living in an a insane hospital?

• Guests
What I thought was funny was in the special features on the DVD, JJ Abrams talks about how he was inspired to do Cloverfield when he went to Japan with his son and saw Godzilla toys everywhere, and that except for King Kong, that America had never tapped into the giant monster market, and that he wished to change that.

Kind of a back-handed dis (and probably deserved) to the American Godzilla (AKA Zilla, AKA G.I.N.O.~Godzilla in name only). It's like that movie doesn't exist to JJ Abrams. Anyone else catch that? :lol:

I also like the idea that the Cloverfield monster may be a BABY monster. What happens when "Mama" comes looking for Baby? Can you say Gorgo? :D

The only thing is I seem to remember all kinds of 50s movies like the Blob, Tarantula, 50 foot woman, and a bazillion other B-movies when I was a kid. Maybe he meant that they never achieved the baller status Godzilla has?

Edited by The_return_of_thanos, 28 April 2008 - 09:27 AM.

3 & 6 years to go...

3 & 6 years to go...

Mr. Impatient

• Moderators
  • 19,155 posts
I watched this again, last night (this time sober and not passing out before the end)...

Spoiler! --Click here to view--
What the hell happened to Hud? Did the monster attempt to eat him, thought better of it and spit him out? That was some sickening sounds there.

Wally Q

Wally Q

Sockimus

• Members
  • 13,023 posts
I'm pretty sure we only got to see half of Hud flying out of the monster's mouth.

Spoiler! --Click here to view--
Is it still a spoiler after all this time has passed?

BTW, I am so in love with Michael Giacchino's "Roar!" at the end of the film. It was finally released on iTunes this past Tuesday in an extended 12:17 track and it's an amazing piece. I've said it before and honestly believe that Giacchino is the next John Williams.

• Guests
Yeah, I got the impression he was bit in half,too.

Exodus

Exodus

Making This Sh*t Cool Again

• 27,292 posts

It was a satellite.

Has anyone or anything confirmed that it was a satellite or was a meteor? Like which it was, I mean?

Wally Q

Wally Q

Sockimus

• Members
  • 13,023 posts
It was revealed through the viral marketing that a satellite went down in the Atlantic at some point which would tie into it being said unidentified object. I've found that in the case of this film and it's backstory, IMDb has really come in handy for the information.

3 & 6 years to go...

3 & 6 years to go...

Mr. Impatient

• Moderators
  • 19,155 posts

Yeah, I got the impression he was bit in half,too.

His best friend, and Beth, didn't seem to have the reaction of seeing somebody bit in half, though, in my opinion. Crazily, it seemed to me that he was yelling in a way to wake him, or something. I don't know. Beth didn't scream, or have any sort of reaction of disgust. Also, if he was bit in half, why did that part fall out? It sounded like his upper half (From the gurgling/squishing sounds) was in the monster's mouth.

Also, at what point/where does this satellite hit? The guys are talking about Beth, on the balcony, and then all of a sudden something hits.

• Guests
Well, how would you react if your best friend got bit in half by a 30+story monster, right in front of you? You get the eff away, and cry about it later!

As far as the satellite, it is at the very end, after the guy and girl are under the bridge and it caves in. Then it cuts to the video they recorded over. Right before they are on the ferris wheel, they show the beach. Look close, and you will see something fall intot he ocean.

Wally Q

Wally Q

Sockimus

• Members
  • 13,023 posts
Yeah and let's face it, after seven hours of nonstop death, even if I just watched my best friend get bit in half by the monster, I'd be in total shock at first and try to get the hell out of there. I mean, it only took Rob a while before he took in the fact that his brother Jason had died. You really wouldn't have time to think in situations like this. Otherwise you'd be dead.

And as for the satellite, just look out towards the ocean in the final shot and it's on the right hand side. It's VERY small but you may be able to catch it.

3 & 6 years to go...

3 & 6 years to go...

Mr. Impatient

• Moderators
  • 19,155 posts
I'll accept your answers. I was just saying that their tone of voice did not sound like looking at a body that had been bitten in half. There was no crying, or screaming, or a sad, 'Oh my God' in there. That's all I am saying.

As for the satellite, thanks for that. I'll look out for it next time.

Darth_Malfoy

Darth_Malfoy

• Members
  • 8,569 posts
I saw it and it was decent enough. Interesting how they had it all through the view of a cam corder. It wasn't long, only about 80 minutes but the first 20 minutes was some good-bye party so that left an hour for story.

Monster was cool enough. I guess it was talked from the view that some people never saw much of it at the time.