Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Cloverfield

• Please log in to reply
445 replies to this topic

Iridium

Iridium

Dark Lord of the Sith

• Members
  • 868 posts
aka "1-18-08" the formerly Untitled J.J. Abrams Project

Last night before Transformers I saw a teaser for an upcoming movie with no title. The only thing I saw was that it was a J.J. Abrams flick, and that was more than enough to get me stoked.

The teaser itself? Awesome. I have no idea what's going on, but I want to ****ing see this movie, it looked awesome.

As far as teasers/trailers go, I would say that this one was probably one of the best teasers I've seen in a long time. Why? Because they were able to get the audience pumped without revealing anything (essentially) about the plot, and not even relasing the name of the film yet. I love it when trailers don't really show you much from the film, just enough about the film to get you excited and jonesing to see the flick.

The only other bit of information I've got on this so far is that it's scheduled for release on January 18, 2008. IMDB has pretty well nothing about it up, and isn't linking to any trailers or teasers yet, apparantly not even the one showing in theaters currently. The trailers up at the Apple site aren't loading right now ('cause of the dial-up) so I'm not sure if it's on there or not. Definitely worth checking out if you can find the teaser online, though. I'll be keeping a close eye on this one.

Edited by Tangent, 20 January 2008 - 11:53 PM.
Added the orig. sub-title to the top of this post.

Sixstrings

Sixstrings

I'm still here?

• 2,773 posts
right now it is titled "cloverfield" but that might be its production name. I am nto sur eif that is official or not.

Tank

Tank

Driver

• 34,569 posts
acord to aicn it's an alien invasion movie shot ultra low budget with consumer DV cameras. It's like Blair Witch, but with aliens. all camera footage is shot by people in-scene.

Lucas1138

Lucas1138

Spam Lord

• Moderators
  • 18,239 posts
That sounds like it could be good but...

It's like Blair Witch

So I'm not sure..

Tank

Tank

Driver

• 34,569 posts
I'm on crack. It's not aliens, it's a giant monster ala Godzilla.

Exodus

Exodus

Making This Sh*t Cool Again

• 27,292 posts
That teaser was so ****ing cool. I'm in.

R5-VAN DAMM

R5-VAN DAMM

DITHPICABLE!!!

• Members
  • 6,097 posts
This trailer isn't on YouTube yet?!

Sheesh......somebody's slacking off!

D-Ray Kenobi

D-Ray Kenobi

Back off man, I'm a scientist.

• 15,242 posts
Yeah, when we left Transformers last night we were talking just as much about this trailer as we were the movie that we came to see. I really hope that this doesn't prove to be one of those cases where the trailer is actually cooler than the movie itself, it looks pretty promising.

Iridium

Iridium

Dark Lord of the Sith

• Members
  • 868 posts
Alien invasion from the PoV of regular people? That would be awesome!
Giant monster movie done by J.J. Abrams? That would be awesome!

Either of those premises turn out to be true, I'm down. Although, the idea of a whole movie in shaky cam still scares me, even with Abrams involvement. I really just don't dig that kind of film making for an entire movie. It can be good in a couple scenes, but when you don't bother with a tripod for 2 hours, I think that might be too much. Maybe.

Mara Jade Skywalker

Mara Jade Skywalker

Unpaid Disney Shill

• Members
  • 34,732 posts
This teaser really intrigued me. I'm definitely planning to see it.

Thomas Alan

Thomas Alan

Master Debator

• Banned Users
  • 25,965 posts
Well, whether movie's great or Blair Witch 2, you've gotta give them credit for putting together a good initial marketing campaign.

Dr. Ifto

Dr. Ifto

6,005 polygons per krundle

• 11,652 posts
I thought i saw in the credits it was called "Bad Robot", I know I saw that in there though.

Dr. Ifto

Dr. Ifto

• 11,652 posts
NVM, that seems to be JJ Abrams production company...

The Shadow

The Shadow

Resident Kaijuologist

• Members
  • 11,282 posts
The codename for the movie seems to be Cloverfield - the monster has been refered to as "The Parasite".

King_Elessar

King_Elessar

Avengers Assemble!

• Members
  • 3,269 posts
I saw Transformers yesterday, and everyone in the theater was whispering, "Godzilla," after that trailer.

Darth Lohr

Darth Lohr

Voodoo Chile

• 16,969 posts

Well, whether movie's great or Blair Witch 2...

well, actually, blair witch 2 was much better than blair witch, which really isn't saying much. and i know it's not what you meant. ;)

anywho, you all have my curiousity piqued. 'tis a shame i won't even be seeing transformers, though, if we don't find a babysitter (which is normally my father-in-law, but he's been rather scarce lately). :(

DML

DML

• Members
  • 10,830 posts
I think I'm the only one who missed this trailer. Is it online?

R.CAllen

R.CAllen

walking

• 4,052 posts
Yes.

hypnosifl

hypnosifl

• Members
  • 596 posts
Here's one they haven't pulled yet:

http://www.beyondhol...trailer-online/

edit: never mind, gone now.

Edited by hypnosifl, 06 July 2007 - 08:25 AM.

Sir RamaLamaDingDong

Sir RamaLamaDingDong

smarter than the average bear

• Members
  • 8,614 posts
Rampage World Tour Movie

Dr. Ifto

Dr. Ifto

• 11,652 posts

Rampage World Tour Movie

lol

Padmes Love Slave

Padmes Love Slave

Me fail English? That's unpossible!

• Members
  • 763 posts
From IGN:

July 5, 2007 - You probably saw the trailer in front of Transformers... A camcorder-filmed party scene gives way to what looks like a terrifying fireball attack on New York City. "It's alive! It's huge," someone in the crowd screams. What the heck is it!? We don't know... but it's produced by Lost creator J.J. Abrams and it hits theaters on 1-18-08.

The trailer for the mysterious movie, which has used the codename "Cloverfield" during pre-production, doesn't have a title. But what it does have is plenty of buzz! As soon as the trailer hit, bootleg versions were showing up on video sites like YouTube, and fans were going crazy posting their thoughts on what the movie might be. For their part, Paramount Pictures isn't shedding any light on the subject. In fact, they haven't technically acknowledged that it exists at all, except to request that certain sites remove the bootleg version of the trailer -- or so we hear. This, of course, is fueling speculation even more.

There's now a nondescript teaser site that's been subtly launched at www.1-18-08.com. As of now, the site only features a still image of two young women looking up at something that appears to be scaring the crap out of them. The image bears the timestamp "01/18/2008 12:36A."

Early indications are that the film is some sort of giant monster sci-fi movie presented in a "reality" style -- like The Blair Witch Project. And rumor has it that "The Parasite," supposedly what the crew is calling the monster in the film, is another working title for the production. All of this is just conjecture at this point, but we do have something concrete...

IGN Movies has learned that the "Untitled J.J. Abrams Project" may also be using the working title "Slusho," which hardcore fans of Abrams' Alias may remember as the Slurpee-type beverage that Vaughn offers to Sydney in the second episode of the series.

We received an email this morning with the details of a public notice of filming posted last week in downtown Los Angeles that illuminates a few details about the production. The notice states that a Paramount Pictures movie using the name "Slusho" was filming last week in several downtown locations during the late afternoon to early morning hours. Here's a description of the scene:

"Exterior dialogue. Driving scenes. Occasional traffic & pedestrian control. Camera & equipment on sidewalk, street and property. 200 extras. Military vehicles. Destruction aftermath. Weapons brandished. Emergency vehicles with flashing lights. Exterior dialogue on fire escape on 8th floor."

Sounds like "Cloverfield" to us!

So, what else is known about the top secret movie? Frequent Abrams collaborator Drew Goddard, a writer on Lost, Alias, Buffy, and Angel, penned the script.

Keep tracking with IGN Movies as the mystery of "Cloverfield" unravels.

Tank

Tank

Driver

• 34,569 posts
aicn has a couple of unsubstanciated rumors...

If you google Ethan Haas, one of the character names thrown around in the trailer, you'll find a couple more hidden viral websites. apparently the names and blurbs being tossed around imply that this could be a Lovecraft/Cthulu tale.

Mara Jade Skywalker

Mara Jade Skywalker

Unpaid Disney Shill

• Members
  • 34,732 posts
Really? Wow, that's really weird considering I just looked up Cthulhu today. (I had heard of it before but never in the context of the original story.)

Iceheart

Iceheart

No.

• Moderators
  • 20,496 posts

If you google Ethan Haas, one of the character names thrown around in the trailer, you'll find a couple more hidden viral websites. apparently the names and blurbs being tossed around imply that this could be a Lovecraft/Cthulu tale.

Really?