Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Farewell Chris Benoit

• Please log in to reply
444 replies to this topic

The Stool Sample

The Stool Sample

Sexual Chocolate

• 5,843 posts
the wife was hammered!

Stallion

Stallion

• Admin
  • 22,932 posts

I like how all these articles keep talking about steroids, when the closest thing to it in his system was testosterone.

Not a chemist, but isn't that brought on by steriods? The lab would have picked up steroids if they were the cause, but I can see where the mistake comes in.

I do agree with pretty much what everyone has said though.

DESTINY

DESTINY

It is your...

• Members
  • 10,391 posts
source

Brain examination finds Benoit with massive damage

by Dave Meltzer Dave@wrestlingobserver.com

The results of a brain examination of Chris Benoit found significant damage from both repeated concussions and sub-concussive blows that may have played a part in his killing of himself, his wife and son in late June.

Dr. Julian Bailes of the Department of Neurosurgery at West Virginia University of Dr. Robert Cantu, the Chief of Neurosurgery Service and Director of Sports Medicine at Emerson Hospital in Concord, MA, presented their findings at a press conference this morning in New York. Also speaking were Chris' father Michael Benoit, and Benoit family lawyer Cary Ichter of Atlanta.

Cantu noted that out of the five athletes they have diagnosed with similar problems, including football stars Andre Waters, Terry Long and Mike Webster, the former two of whom committed suicide at a young age, that Benoit's brain showed the highest level of Tao protiens, indicating damage.

"Chris had, by far, the greatest amount of brain damage of the five," Cantu said.

Bailes said the level of damage was enough to explain the suicide and homicides

Neither Michael Benoit nor Ichter would comment on potential litigation. Ichter said the family is still in mourning and has given no thought about, "what steps are appropriate in the legal arena."

The only hint came in a statement by Michael Benoit who said he worked for a company where the top priority was the health and safety of its workers, and only wished his son had worked for a company with those same priorities.

Bailes and Cantu are the leading doctors in the Sports Legacy Institute, which became an official charitable corporation in June. The president of SLI is former WWE wrestler Chris Nowinski, who was not present at the press conference. Nowinski contacted Michael Benoit for the rights to examine Chris' brain. The WWE was not consulted or made aware of any of these findings ahead of time.

In questioning, the doctors downplayed the role of steroids in the case, but couldn't rule it out, only saying there is no medical evidence long-term steroid use causes the damage to the brain Chris Benoit had.

They portrayed the brain examination as the only tangible evidence that has come to light to explain why Chris Benoit may have done what he did, They noted his level of damage would lead to cognitive impairment, major depression and heightened aggression.

Michael Benoit also noted he had read Chris' diary and said it gave the impression of an extremely disturbed person, but that in his limited contact with Chris, a few minute phone call every week or two, he had no indication anything was wrong.

Mamacita

Mamacita

Fallen Angel

• Members
  • 4,655 posts
huh...k...now I think I kinda get it....

Axiom

Axiom

Alien From Hell

• Members
  • 1,799 posts
So in essence this is just a terrible trajedy brought on by brain damage from a bad career choice? I am unsure how to take that.

Good OL MC

Good OL MC

• Members
  • 236 posts
Well it doesn't exonerate him by any stretch of the imagination but maybe it gives us something resembling a reason that doesn't come down to, "Chris Benoit was evil."

Rock

Rock

Self High-Five

• 38,774 posts
So are they saying that Dusty Rhodes is past due for a killing spree?

Good OL MC

Good OL MC

• Members
  • 236 posts
Nope, but what they are saying is that in some people a large number of concussions can trigger certain negative reactions.

Good OL MC

Good OL MC

• Members
  • 236 posts
But again, that isn't what they are saying. They are saying that between known effects of concussions (depression, rage) in some individuals and what they know about Benoit they are saying that it is a possibility that his concussions were a contributing factor.

Exodus

Exodus

Making This Sh*t Cool Again

• 27,292 posts
Well come on guys, he did use a diving headbutt at least once every match didn't he? Hit or miss, that's got to have some lingering effects. The guy went all-out with those too. My friends and I would often comment on his dedication to put himself out there like that for his trade, and sometimes jokingly questioned his common sense to smack his own head around like that.

Think about it...mentally, Benoit was the eqivilent of an 85 year-old person with Alzheimer's (source). That's just ****ing craziness right there. The best part, IMO, is that it may finally shut some of these people the **** up who keep crying STEROIDS when it appears to be an issue of head trauma. I mean sure, it has ended up resulting in a necessary crack-down on illegal substances - but isn't it time that some honest journalism (lol) prevailed in some fashion and reported something factual here? The guy got his head slammed around voluntarily on a daily basis his entire career and he ended up with the diminished mentality of an 85 year-old eith Alzheimer's.

If I were a wrestler, I'd be seriously questioning my profession with such a finding being released. Might be a good time to reevaluate my career or make some serious changes to the way I conduct myself. And if I was a guy like Mick Foley or Tommy Dreamer who has made a career out of stiff chair shots and blunt head trauma, I'd definitely consider getting my head checked out.

Darth_Malfoy

Darth_Malfoy

• Members
  • 8,569 posts

So are they saying that Dusty Rhodes is past due for a killing spree?

:thumbsup:

If dain bramage caused ex wrestlers to kill their families, Dusty would've eaten his a long time ago.

Glad Mick Foley is save then. :confused:

Thrawn33

Thrawn33

• Members
  • 2,873 posts
I'm not a fan of the insanity defense, but if his brain was as bad as an 85 year-old person with Alzheimer's I would say he has a case.

You've seen some senile old folks, and you know they're not in their right mind. Now imagine that old persons brain in a wrestler's body.

He might not be the demon we've been making him out to be.

Of course if I'm wrong, may he burn in hell.

David

David

LOOK ALIVE

• 14,831 posts
Would an 85 year old with Alzheimers likely murder his own family?

Prolly not.

Thrawn33

Thrawn33

• Members
  • 2,873 posts

Prolly not.

Agreed, but does an 85 year old have the strength to do so?
I'm not saying thats the reason it happened, but I think it played a part.

Chatham

Chatham

like old job

• Members
  • 8,728 posts
Apparently, Benoit's brain was being studied here on the campus of West Virginia University. :hmm:

Thats very.. creepy.

Sixstrings

Sixstrings

I'm still here?

• 2,773 posts
I killed many a brain cell at WVU.... so it seems fitting they would know alot about brain damage :)

Thomas Alan

Thomas Alan

Master Debator

• Banned Users
  • 25,965 posts

Prolly not.

Agreed, but does an 85 year old have the strength to do so?
I'm not saying thats the reason it happened, but I think it played a part.

If he were still alive, I'm sure that he wouldn't be able to get away with an insanity defense. There's lots of evidence that he knew the consequences of what he was doing (telephone calls, dressing up the bodies, delay between murders, the suicide itself, sending text messages informing where the dogs were).

There might have been something wrong with his brain, but he'd still be found guilty rather easily.

Rock

Rock

Self High-Five

• 38,774 posts
Depends. Look at that Andrea Yates woman. Systematically drowned her five children in their bathtub, and she got the plea on the basis of postpartum. At least there is SOME type of physical evidence of lunacy here.

Thomas Alan

Thomas Alan

Master Debator

• Banned Users
  • 25,965 posts
Yates had been treated for psychosis for years leading up to the murders. It was also a much closer case on the evidence.