Best CG animated movie

sudden violence

Best CG animated movie  

52 members have voted

1. 1. What is the best CG animated movie?

• The Incredibles
    • Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children
    • Toy Story
    • Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within
    • Shrek
    • Other (Please Specify)

And yes-- a two year old's opinion counts.

Uh, ok. :lol:

& SOL, like I said, in terms of story, Appleseed isn't really the best, or even that good. However, when compared to Cars, it still stacks up as much better to me because of the action & some of the visual shots to it. Cars had nothing going for it in those departments, which is why Applseed is a lot better IMO. I know that a good story in a movie is what is usually the main thing we look for, but let's be honest with ourselves: it is rarely, if ever, the ONLY thing we look for.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a handfull of movies, both animated and live action where I will admit that they looked pretty, and that was all that captured my attention-- but i certainly wouldn't vote for them in a poll.

There's a handfull of movies, both animated and live action where I will admit that they looked pretty, and that was all that captured my attention-- but i certainly wouldn't vote for them in a poll.

Neither would I. FFVII:AC was my choice, & I would put it up against Toy Story any day.

Icy--did you see Gedo Senki yet? I mean, through the web or something? It's directed by Miyazaki's son and it almost looks like Hayao gave Goro a limited set of resources and budget just to mess around, because the quality doesn't come close to the other recent Ghibli films. I just rented it a couple of weeks ago and was disappointed with the whole thing--big holes in the plot that weren't explained, and just sort of typical otherwise.

I just got back from finally seeing Ratatouille tonight (it just came out over here this week). WOW. I'll be watching that one again, numerous times. I left the theater forcing myself not to smile, while fighting down a particularly strong feeling of regret and wistfulness that I didn't study animation--which I seriously was considering midway through college. To work for a place like that, to do things like that...

Icy--did you see Gedo Senki yet? I mean, through the web or something? It's directed by Miyazaki's son and it almost looks like Hayao gave Goro a limited set of resources and budget just to mess around, because the quality doesn't come close to the other recent Ghibli films. I just rented it a couple of weeks ago and was disappointed with the whole thing--big holes in the plot that weren't explained, and just sort of typical otherwise.

I haven't seen more than previews, I try to avoid movies on veoh and the like - I like my big screen, and I like my English dubs, so I can take in the animation as well as the dialog. That's sad, what you say. I love Hayao Miyazaki and I love the Earthsea series. But even the previews for Gedo Senki that I saw on youtube looked like they did to The Farthest Shore and Tehanu what the SciFi Channel's live action movie did to A Wizard of Earthsea and The Tombs of Atuan. *sigh* I was hoping the animation/artwork would make up for that. I still want to see it, regardless :shrug:

yeah.

the point I forgot to make, is that this is a CG film not targeted to kids. In America, eleased theatrically i think Spirits Within may have been the only one thus far, and only gamers went to see it.

This movie is being done by the Amblin/Zemekis (and Gaiman) crews which ight bring in a lot of people., This COULD be the start of animation for grown ups in America.

Or it could bomb.

Well you're wrong. but that's okay.

I love how you employ the very methods you claim to despise when attempting to prove a point. Shows real guts. :rolleyes:

The Beowulf film is probably a step in the right direction, but it's the American attiude toward animation that REALLY needs to change. 95% of America automatically thinks Animation=kidcrap, no matter the content.

The trailer looks awesome. To tell you the truth, I'd see it simply because Gaiman's attached, and I'm convinced the man can do no wrong.

Haven't seen MirrorMask yet have you?

I'm more worried about Zemekis. He did The Polar Express and, as we talked about earlier on this thread, did it all in motion capture so that it looked terrible and can't even really be called animation. That kind of cheap shortcut might just result in yet another setback as another adult animation project......sucks hard.

Not to mention, Beowulf is not exactly a franchise I'd want to build adult animation around.

• 9 years later...

I bumped into this old thread while looking for the thread about Miller's Justice League movie (never did find it). Read through it and found it interesting. Almost 10 years later and traditional animation is pretty much gone (Lasseter's attempt to revive it with The Princess and the Frog not doing good enough to kick-start a new trend). Does next week's Sausage Party count for an adult CG movie? Raunchy humor and F-bombs, wrapped in rather a rather typical animated package. I'm not sure audiences are going to know what to do with that one and am pretty sure it'll bomb.

Anyway, my point in bumping it is wondering what everyone's would put at the top today now that we can add WALL-E, Up, Toy Story 3, Tangled, the Despicable Me series, Frozen, The Lego Movie, Inside Out, Finding Dory, and Zootopia to the list of possibilities.

Personally, I place Inside Out and Tangled at the top of my list.

Wreck-It Ralph has been my favorite since I saw it! Probably because of my love of video games, but I just really enjoy the main characters and the story. I even have the Disney Infinity characters on my desk!

And skimming through this thread...what a downer that that violence guy doesn't post here anymore, LOL. Or does he?! o_O

Oh, and I found an animated soulmate! Another lover of Pirates of Dark Water! Yes! Andorus, my dude, high five!

The early (and mid) Pixar days are still pretty untouchable, but Lego Movie most certainly deserves to be up there.

Eh, I think early Pixar is a bit overrated. Heck, you can argue that their two best-received movies from that era have better recent sequels. Personally, I wish they'd continued in the exploratory fashion they'd begun with Ratatouille, WALL-E, and Up. With those films, Pixar seemed to be maturing a bit. They were real original movies that you had no idea that you wanted. Since then, Inside Out is the only movie they've really done in that vein of exploration. All the rest have been pretty basic movies or sequels.

Oddly enough, Disney seems more interested in pushing boundaries again while Pixar has become the conservative studio. Pushing out sequels and struggling with conceptually safe movies like Brave and The Good Dinosaur.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I don't really watch too many of these, but I like Monster House, the Shrek movies, Shark Tale, and Kung Fu Panda. I want to see Zootopia.

Outside of the toy Story series, Ratatouille is my favorite Pixar movie.

As far as recent cg films, Lego Movie is probably tops for me and my son. Here lately, at least once or twice a week, keilan makes me play the batman Lego teaser trailers that are on Hulu. Looks like it'll bring the laughs.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.