Best CG animated movie

sudden violence

Best CG animated movie  

52 members have voted

1. 1. What is the best CG animated movie?

• The Incredibles
    • Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children
    • Toy Story
    • Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within
    • Shrek
    • Other (Please Specify)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just saw it today....for the first time, and am now VERY surprised nobody has nominated Disney's Dinosaurs.

:eek:

MY GOD...this movie was a virtual masterpiece! The animation was top-notch, the music was amazing, and the story was great.....and it was made NOT by Pixar. The other thing that blew me away was the fact that it's 15 years old.

I couldn't believe it. Although, after seeing the date it was released, I knew why it wasn't a success. It clearly was following on the coattails of Jurassic Park. :no:

Anyway....I was very impressed with this movie, and more surprised that it was so old.

Dinosaurs was released in 2000. A lot of the visuals look great...because they're real. The story is pretty much a rip-off of The Land Before Time. Originally the dinosaurs weren't supposed to talk, but got changed because of marketability factors.

Really, it's not even a good movie.

here's more to favorite than animation quality.

If you think that is the sole criteria, then make a poll that asks people what movie the think has the best quality animation.

you said best in general which brings into account a lot more than just animation.

Well, it looks like Toy Story is the favorite by far, followed by The Incredibles. FFVII:AC got a decent numbers of votes, at least. It's still sad to me that people ALWAYS think of Disney as #1 in animation quality, but that's probably not going to ever change.

Disney and Pixar are the giants of their respective fields in terms of pure animation quality.

Not to say that other efforts with inferior animation can't be better (Looney Tunes being better than the Silly Symphonies to take an ancient rivalry), but there is a huge gap between them and their nearest competitors. Yes, including the Japanese efforts.

Disney and Pixar are the giants of their respective fields in terms of pure animation quality.

Not to say that other efforts with inferior animation can't be better (Looney Tunes being better than the Silly Symphonies to take an ancient rivalry), but there is a huge gap between them and their nearest competitors. Yes, including the Japanese efforts.

I would agree that there is a huge gap between them & the Japanese in terms of name recognition,box office, budgets(the main reason why the CG animation is mainly kidcrap), etc. but not in terms of animation quality(& yes Tank, I mean ALL AROUND quality, not just visually, oh righteous hair splitter). Can you honestly tell me that you think Cars is better than Howl's Moving Castle? It doesn't even compare.

I would agree that there is a huge gap between them & the Japanese in terms of name recognition,box office, budgets(the main reason why the CG animation is mainly kidcrap), etc. but not in terms of animation quality(& yes Tank, I mean ALL AROUND quality, not just visually, oh righteous hair splitter). Can you honestly tell me that you think Cars is better than Howl's Moving Castle? It doesn't even compare.

... weren't the Studio Ghibli movies all released in the States by Disney, with the exception of Princess Mononoke? Which doesn't bother me. With Disney picking up Miyazaki's works, they're adding lots of names to the piece (not only their own, but also the well known actors they use to dub the movies) that get the movies recognized and seen here in the States.

And I agree that you can't compare Cars to Howl's Moving Castle - one is marketed primarily to young boys, the other to tween girls. One is traditional animation, the other CG. Two different audiences, two different movies. Now, to use a different Pixar movie (since I never saw Cars), I did see Ratatouille. I've worked in kitchens since I was in HS, and omg, that was an AMAZINGLY real kitchen they set the cartoon-y characters in. From the Hobart Mixer (!) to the stainless steel liquid measures to the black and white checked pants, it was really lifelike. You can't fault the quality there. And story-wise, was it juvenile? - yes. Was it entertaining? - yes. Did it have a lovely message about friendship, independence and redemption? - yes. Oh, and here's something... did it make sense all the way through? - yes. While Howl's Moving Castle is one of my favorite movies and I have watched it untold times (including just the other day), there comes a certian point of the movie where it just doesn't make alot of sense anymore.

I think comparing the two studios and their movies is like comparing apples and oranges. They may be different, but they're both good, and I'm going to support them both.

your opinion.

My son who is two, happens to think Cars is great, and he walked away from Howl's after about 2 minutes.

your opinion.

My son who is two, happens to think Cars is great, and he walked away from Howl's after about 2 minutes.

Thank you SOOOOO much! You just proved my point that Disney only makes kidcrap! LOL

Seriously, you're going to try and use a 2 year old's opinion to try & justify your argument?

Can't say I'm a huge fan of either movie, though I usually default to preferring the cel animated movies. To put a better example forward, Cars is very much superior to something like Appleseed in every respect. Animation, design, story, characters, acting, etc.

The Japanese are capable of amazing things, but you need to remember that their take on animation was born out of very limited budgets and limited animation is what they're best at. As a matter of fact, I find most of their bigger budgeted feature animations are rather poor because the overal lack of skills in their animators is exposed.

BTW, if you use the word "animation quality" people have a nasty habit of assuming you mean the quality of the animation and not necessarily the movie as a whole. They're funny that way.

To put a better example forward, Cars is very much superior to something like Appleseed in every respect. Animation, design, story, characters, acting, etc.

I've REALLY gotta disagree w/ you on this one. Cars was nothing but a Doc Hollywood ripoff. The story for Appleseed might not have been the best, but it was WAY more original than Cars was. There are also shots from Appleseed that are absolutley breathtaking visually, while there is nothing of the sort in Cars. But, I guess that you are entitled to your opinion.....however WRONG it may be.

I've REALLY gotta disagree w/ you on this one. Cars was nothing but a Doc Hollywood ripoff. The story for Appleseed might not have been the best, but it was WAY more original than Cars was. There are also shots from Appleseed that are absolutley breathtaking visually, while there is nothing of the sort in Cars. But, I guess that you are entitled to your opinion.....however WRONG it may be.

Yeah, it was a Doc Hollywood ripoff, and it wasn't very good. But it was still better than Appleseed (and Doc Hollywood for that matter) which was an ultimately boring movie experience that was, itself, beat with the cliche stick a couple times over. Cars at least had its moments and a much more coherent storyline. I didn't take either to be particularly amazing from a scenic standpoint. Cars didn't really try (75% fo the movie taking place in a small town), and Appleseed wasn't anything I hadn't seen before.

I'm not going to post much more on this because we're basically comparing a mediocre movie to a poor one, but you really need to adjust your sights beyond your comtempt for "kid crap". It's even easier to make garbage aimed at adults. Particularly for people too desparate for quality mature animation to notice the difference.

... weren't the Studio Ghibli movies all released in the States by Disney, with the exception of Princess Mononoke?

Disney did Princess Mononoke (or Miramar did anyway) like almost the entire catalogue except Only Yesterday and, so far, Tales from Earthsea.

That makes Disney the biggest distrubuter of anime in the country...go figure.

Cars was nothing but a Doc Hollywood ripoff. The story for Appleseed might not have been the best, but it was WAY more original than Cars was.

I've never seen any version of Appleseed except some of the manga covers from Eclipse Comics' translations back in the '80s. Assuming we're talking about the 2004 version, and assuming Wikipedia hasn't been vandalized yet again, the "original" plot appears to sum up like so:

Set in 2131 AD, Deunan Knute, a young legendary female soldier is a survivor of the Third World War which has brought Earth to the brink of destruction. Alongside her former lover and comrade Briareos, who is now a cyborg, Deunan is brought to a Utopian city called Olympus, also inhabited by a genetically-engineered species called Bioroids. There, she integrates into the prestigious ESWAT organization to serve as the city's guardian. But what she discovers is not the promised land of peace, but rather a deadlier, more elusive battlefield than before.

Bioroids have a lifespan much shorter than those of humans, due to the suppression of their reproductive capabilities. When the facilities that were used in the Bioroid's life extension processes are destroyed by a secret faction of the Olympus Regular Army in a terrorist attack as part of its demonstration of fear and hatred for the Bioroids, a crisis which requires immediate resolution is formed, and the Appleseed data is revealed to still exist, even though most thought it destroyed.

Under the surface, as we can see, Olympus is plagued by conflicting factions. Some believe that Bioroids are a threat to the future advancement of mankind, whilst others believe that humans themselves are the threat. The ultimate question is over everyone's right to life, and whether or not one group deserves life more than the other. At the center of this battle is Appleseed, the data that is able to extend Bioroid life, by restoring reproductive functions.

Remove the gratuitous cyborg in the first sentence and the fruity MacGuffin in the last sentence, and it sounds as though you're left with a bog-standard flawed utopia (dime-a-dozen in sci-fi lit and movies) with elements generously lifted from Blade Runner. I'll concede the plot might or might not be an efficient and pleasing synthesis of numerous established SF concepts, but I'm unclear on where "originality" applies as a criterion...as far as the plot goes, at least. I'm open to thoughts on that.

The CG Appleseed is following ion a few animated features and a long running Manga, so it's not like it covered any major new ground.

I loved the original animated Appleseed movie, but the CG one seemed to showcase the CG over the story.

... weren't the Studio Ghibli movies all released in the States by Disney, with the exception of Princess Mononoke?

Disney did Princess Mononoke (or Miramar did anyway) like almost the entire catalogue except Only Yesterday and, so far, Tales from Earthsea.

That makes Disney the biggest distrubuter of anime in the country...go figure.

Miramax is owned by Disney? You see how well I follow these things :lol:

... they can freaking hurry up with releasing Gedo Senki here in the States. Although I hear it doesn't stay all that true to the LeGuin series :shrug:

... they can freaking hurry up with releasing Gedo Senki here in the States. Although I hear it doesn't stay all that true to the LeGuin series

Got bad news for you. Because of their crappy mini-series, Sci-Fi Channel owns the North American rights to Earthsea until 2009.

Until then, it's not coming here.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.