Best CG animated movie

sudden violence

Best CG animated movie  

52 members have voted

1. 1. What is the best CG animated movie?

• The Incredibles
    • Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children
    • Toy Story
    • Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within
    • Shrek
    • Other (Please Specify)

Check out this trailer for the sequel to Appleseed:

This looks incredible. Honestly, all you Pixar lovers, how can you prefer comedy over something like this?

Well for one its got a gay name.

And another things is that animation cannot portray human emotions such as anger, sadness and fear in a way that seems real to me yet. Comedy is easy to do because animation suits the exaguration of features and actions. But to tap into other movie genres you need more realism. That looked totally fake to me, becuase it is. I can't emotionally invest in a character or a situation that to me does not exist.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just curious: have you seen FF7:AC?

I never heard of it until now.

But as far as CG animation, I like them all...

-Toy Story

-Finding Nemo

-Madagascar

-Cars

-Happy Feet

-Surfs Up

-Shrek

-Shark Tale < < < Loved that movie.

They are all great.

Check out this trailer for the sequel to Appleseed:

This looks incredible. Honestly, all you Pixar lovers, how can you prefer comedy over something like this?

Well for one its got a gay name.

And another things is that animation cannot portray human emotions such as anger, sadness and fear in a way that seems real to me yet. Comedy is easy to do because animation suits the exaguration of features and actions. But to tap into other movie genres you need more realism. That looked totally fake to me, becuase it is. I can't emotionally invest in a character or a situation that to me does not exist.

Note the bold. All I've got to say for that is watch Grave of the Fireflys.

(Sorry, was traveling for a few days...)

Mara--I love Finding Nemo. Let's have crap taste in movies together. :p

Tank/sol--oh! Of course! I definitely see what you're saying now. I never even thought of it that way.

David--would you believe I haven't seen MOTP yet? I never really kept up with the Batman animated series but I've heard such wonderf ul things about that film, especially Mark Hamill's portrayal of the Joker. I really want to check it out.

I disagree that all CG films are visually impressive. The character animation and general visuals in the Shrek films, Madagascar, most of Ice Age, and all those other Pixar wannabe hacks make me cringe. It's harsh but I can't help how I feel. I really don't like the idea of making some big animated mess just for the sake of merchandising. The writing is horrible--really, the only time I ever laughed in earnest when watching any of those films was during the Scrat scenes in Ice Age, and that was pure physical comedy, without any awful dialogue to ruin it.

And yeah, to be honest, Monsters, Inc. wasn't my favorite--I thought it was adorable and really well done, but the general schtick of the film didn't quite do it for me. I do remember going to see it with one of my best friends who's also a hard-core animation/design fan, and freaking out at the scene where you see Sulley's hairs moving while he was asleep. ;)

The Emperor's New Groove was fun! So much better than Hercules--the stylized character designs really didn't do it for me. That's off-topic, though.

Appleseed was a pretty lousy movie. Even the worst Pixar beats it stupid.

And another things is that animation cannot portray human emotions such as anger, sadness and fear in a way that seems real to me yet.

I direct you to Dumbo's mother cuddling Dumbo in her trunk in their brief moments together, both of them knowing it will end soon.

Sadness is a difficult emotion to get across even for master animators, but it can be done to amazing effect.

Anger and fear are pretty easily done in animation and you can find countless examples of it being done convincingly. Those emotions are based on exagerated features and distinct poses. Two aspects to acting that the medium naturally excels.

I direct you to Dumbo's mother cuddling Dumbo in her trunk in their brief moments together, both of them knowing it will end soon.

Seconded. Anyone who questions the ability of the animated form to convey emotion should watch this scene. Ideally, they should do this at three-and-three-quarters years of age. They must be wearing their favourite pair of footie pajamas and must view the movie at their grandparents' house. These are the ideal conditions in which to experience the true power of those moments.

Also, it helps if at the time you secretly believe that you are not human and are actually an elephant. Just another tip, that's all.

Andorus - I am obviously made of sterner stuff than you. I can blink back my tears up until the Robot Jesus actually sacrifices himself for mankind, whereupon the water works just let loose.

Well, that's the thing--if all you see is a big hunk of metal, then you didn't really get what the film was about at all.

As for the Appleseed trailer--who says Pixar lovers can't like both? I just watched it and I thought the visuals at the beginning were really nice, but I wasn't big on the character designs/animation. But it's very much a genre film--it's the whole anime/video-game thing, which isn't my favorite, and the girl even looks like she's out of a video game FMV, and not like a standalone character.

And also, nobody's saying that Pixar lovers only love comedy and not the serious stuff. That's ridiculous. :p My favorite films/stories tend to be human-oriented and serious, with well-timed moments of comedy to balance it all out. That's why I loved The Incredibles--that's also why I loved The Empire Strikes Back.

Totally agree with sol--there are TONS of examples of anger and strong, fiery emotions in animation. Those are the easy ones to get across. The ones that are far more subtle, like sadness, are harder to portray effectively, but when they're done right, they're really done right.

This brings us back to your previous problems with generalizations: just as Pixar films aren't intended solely for children, they also aren't just comedies. Execs at Dreamworks, Imageworks, and pre-Pixar-merger Disney bought into that same misconception, and it's why their films suffer in comparison to Pixar's.

And after viewing the Appleseed clip, I get the impression that, in your previous posts, you've used the word "mature" where you actually mean "macho". Just curious, not being flippant here -- do you have any examples of "mature" animated films you enjoy that don't involve combat?

Well, that's the thing--if all you see is a big hunk of metal, then you didn't really get what the film was about at all.

Oh I totally get what it's about I just can't get emotionally invested in a non-living/breathing organism especially one that's been hand drawn, it just does not draw me in.

I've been highly de-sensitized though, it happens when you watch Robocop at the age of 3.

This brings us back to your previous problems with generalizations: just as Pixar films aren't intended solely for children, they also aren't just comedies. Execs at Dreamworks, Imageworks, and pre-Pixar-merger Disney bought into that same misconception, and it's why their films suffer in comparison to Pixar's.

And after viewing the Appleseed clip, I get the impression that, in your previous posts, you've used the word "mature" where you actually mean "macho". Just curious, not being flippant here -- do you have any examples of "mature" animated films you enjoy that don't involve combat?

Every Pixar movie has been at least 75% comedy, except maybe The Incredibles, IMO. Yes, there are other elements to it, but if you took away all of the comedy, there wouldn't be much of any Pixar movie left.

& how do you get "macho" from "mature"? I like any animation that has a good plot that's not dumbed down for kids; if you think anything like that is "macho", then that's your problem. Other than the pics SOL mentioned, I also enjoyed Millenium Actress & pretty much every Miyazaki movie.

Every Pixar movie has been at least 75% comedy

The one about the widowed father's desperate search for his kidnapped son was a real laugh riot. Remember that first bit where not only the mother dies but nearly all her children too? Fuhh-nny.

Appleseed was a pretty lousy movie. Even the worst Pixar beats it stupid.

And another things is that animation cannot portray human emotions such as anger, sadness and fear in a way that seems real to me yet.

Sadness is a difficult emotion to get across even for master animators, but it can be done to amazing effect.

Anger and fear are pretty easily done in animation and you can find countless examples of it being done convincingly. Those emotions are based on exagerated features and distinct poses. Two aspects to acting that the medium naturally excels.

Sorry I meant the CG human characters actually being able to show how sad/angry/afraid they feel to the extent that (good) human actors can.

Dumbo makes me feel sad, as does The Fox and the Hound and that firey bit of Bambi. But thats not the animation doing that, its the siutation. I don't feel sad becuase Bambi looks sad, its becuase what is being done is horrible.

But thats not the animation doing that, its the siutation

Well, the scene does benefit from basic good filmmaking: The emotional impact was set up earlier in the movie with the "birth" of Dumbo and the bathing scene, "Baby Mine" playing in the background, and the intercut shots of various mother/baby animal pairs.

However, I don't think the scene would have been nearly as affective if Bill Tytla couldn't get inside that elephant's head and make him ACT. When Dumbo snuggles his face in his mother's trunk and then looks up, it is as genuine a piece of acting as you will see from any human.

Another example of sadness being portrayed effectively would be Grumpy's slow breakdown at the side of Snow White's glass coffin (animated by Frank Thomas). His grief has a psychological path; the deepness of which takes him by surprise.

Are you saying that Finding Nemo wasn't mostly comedy? Cuz it was.

Nonsense. It was clearly a horror flick. Ellen DeGeneres had a starring role!

Ahem. A serious response now.

I found your ratio of 75% comedy to be a little excessive. I don't remember laughing through three quarters of any Pixar film and I doubt anyone else here would say different. What I said was basically a sarcastic rejoinder to that perceived error rather than a refutation of the general truth of your claim. In this instance you are basically in the right. If the comedy was excised from 'Toy Story' it'd basically be a CGI adaptation of a Nick Cave song as directed by Tim Burton.

Just to be clear, and I don't mean to insult, this is more of a "stopped clock is right twice a day" situation rather than a general agreement with your point-of-view on the films themselves. You think these films were dumbed down for kids. I see the reverse. Children's material has been elevated to the status of adult entertainment. So, there's that then.

"I can't think of one other art form that has its audience so narrowly defined. If you work in animation, people are like, Oh, it must be wonderful to entertain children. Yes, but that's 10 percent of the audience I'm going for."

-- Brad Bird, Entertainment Weekly #941/942 (double issue)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.