Best CG animated movie

sudden violence

Best CG animated movie  

52 members have voted

1. 1. What is the best CG animated movie?

• The Incredibles
    • Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children
    • Toy Story
    • Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within
    • Shrek
    • Other (Please Specify)

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, I guess you're right about Disney, SOL, which is why I said 'almost' wish. Still, what do you think it would take to get an American studio to make a movie like Grave of the Fireflys, Ninja Scroll, or Mononoke-Hime?

I'm a huge fan of Japanese animation and would love to see more of that style present in American animation, but what you are argueing, with those examples especially, is not a difference in animation styles as it is a difference in genres.

In The Incredibles commentary, Brad Bird states that animation is not a genre. It is one form of media to present a story, but it is not its own genre. Any study of anime proves that. You site very dramatic anime there, but the Japanese are just as capable of producing "kids shows" as they are high dramatics, the same as any other studio. Part of it comes from who the storytellers are and what kinds of stories they want to tell. You can't compare Toy Story to The Incredibles, and say one is better than the other, because Lassiter's storytelling style and Bird's are totally different. Lassiter is more comedy based, whereas Bird is more adventure/drama based. It would be like comparing CLAMP's Cardcaptor Sakura with Miazaki's Kiki's Delivery Service.

Is Mononoke better or worse than Kiki or Spirited Away? Same animation studio. Same 2D animation. Different genres, and therefore not worth comparing.

Is Pixar better than Dreamwork's CG dept.? They both do the best with the best technology available. While things like Shrek are funny, Dreamworks has fallen into the pattern of producing one irreverant parody movie after another (generally going to the cheap jokes) and, to me, it's wearing thin. The quality of storytelling from Pixar on the other hand has been much more diverse, but still very high. It's also what separates Disney from the rest of the American animation crowd (when they are on their game, such as the early '90s). Therefore I prefer Disney/Pixar, but that's just my opinion on it.

There are too many variables, even in a CG animated movie, to try and say which one is the "best".

Also, someone brought up motioncapture. The movie Happy Feet used motioncapture on Savion Glover to get Mumbles to tap properly. Cheating, or not? You decide.

Dreamworks has fallen into the pattern of producing one irreverant parody movie after another (generally going to the cheap jokes) and, to me, it's wearing thin.

Antz (October 2, 1998)

Shrek (May 18, 2001)

Shrek 2 (May 19, 2004)

Shark Tale (October 1, 2004)

Madagascar (May 27, 2005) (PDI)

Over the Hedge (May 19, 2006)

Flushed Away (November 3, 2006)

Shrek the Third (May 18, 2007)

Having seen all of the above from Dreamworks, I then to agree. Madagascar, I disliked how the cg was done, things were too perfect shaped on the animals and were annoying to me to view. (Those penguins I thought could steal the show and are what I liked most). But the jokes were too abundant. Then Over the Hedge had some funny moments, but the cg humans are not quite right yet for my viewing. Flushed Away was boring to me, I watched in parts. And Shrek the Third was a rehashing of the other two.

In The Incredibles commentary, Brad Bird states that animation is not a genre. It is one form of media to present a story, but it is not its own genre. Any study of anime proves that.

A similar situation is the general impression people get when you say "comic book". Just because the ostensibly most predominant form of a medium is a specific genre that doesn't make the whole medium itself simultaneous to the same genre. It's like assuming that the only thing that can be done on a radio is commercials because that's what you usually hear.

Also, Brad Bird is a genius. A loud yelling eccentric genius who is probably a little bit crazy ("I have said time and time again! WE USE EVERY PART OF THE BUFFALO!") but a genius nonetheless. When the whole world watches the scene where the robot from The Iron Giant says "SOOOPER-MAN" , well, we shall have peace on earth and goodwill towards all men. It's just that powerful.

In The Incredibles commentary, Brad Bird states that animation is not a genre. It is one form of media to present a story

I go one step futher, it's the single most adaptable form of entertainment there is. Which is why I get so frustrated that these studios are selling themselves short.

Also, Brad Bird is a genius. A loud yelling eccentric genius who is probably a little bit crazy ("I have said time and time again! WE USE EVERY PART OF THE BUFFALO!") but a genius nonetheless. When the whole world watches the scene where the robot from The Iron Giant says "SOOOPER-MAN" , well, we shall have peace on earth and goodwill towards all men. It's just that powerful.

I'm not much of a Bird fan myself. I find him to be heavyhanded.

Also, someone brought up motioncapture. The movie Happy Feet used motioncapture on Savion Glover to get Mumbles to tap properly. Cheating, or not? You decide.

Cheating.

I'm not much of a Bird fan myself. I find him to be heavyhanded.

A fair criticism. I guess it just depends on how wide the range is of how you apply that term. He might be that way to you but in comparison with those who'd I consider heavyhanded he has a fairly nimble touch. "Love and family conquers all" is the sort of theme that tends to be beaten intr annihilation. "You are what you choose to be!" If I had a choice, I'd ratheo our heads by those who choose it and I think Bird's use of it stands as a good example of how to swim in that pool without choosing to happily drown in it. Err, to mix my metaphors in a powder keg of righteous retribution topped by a precipice from which none can return!

"SOOOOPER-MAN".

What? Not even a little bit moved?

Hey what about those road kill commercials from Quiznos? JK! :p You guys forgot Disney's Dinosaurs. Not the best movie in the world but the CGI was pretty good. It was also a very expensive movie that bankrupt the new Disney CGI animation studio.

I cry at the end of The Iron Giant every time. :thumbsup:

sol, I don't get what you mean by Lasseter killing the art form he loves by reviving the traditional animation department; do you mean he's killing computer animation by reviving traditional? I do agree when you say it's the single most adaptable storytelling form out there. I completely agree with that.

I cry at the end of The Iron Giant every time. :thumbsup:

sol, I don't get what you mean by Lasseter killing the art form he loves by reviving the traditional animation department; do you mean he's killing computer animation by reviving traditional? I do agree when you say it's the single most adaptable storytelling form out there. I completely agree with that.

I think he just means that Lassatar is a hardcore pro-animation guy, and credits all forms of animation for inspiring him. After the successof Toy Story, Disney ( and most others) closed shop on traditional animation thinking that CG was faster and cheaper to producer, and had a broader appeal.

So by making Toy Story, Lasseter inadvertantly buried what inspired him.

But like we said, now that he is president of Disney animation, he has put traditional animated features back into production.

I'm a huge fan of Japanese animation and would love to see more of that style present in American animation, but what you are argueing, with those examples especially, is not a difference in animation styles as it is a difference in genres.

All American animation seems geared towards kids; I want more mature plots and better action scenes in American animation, & while The Incredibles was a good start, it's still nowhere near where it needs to be. But, as SOL said, everytime someone trys to make a more mature animated film in America, it tanks, because Americans have the attitude that animation is just kids' stuff.

None of this recent CGI crap has anything on 'The Emporer's New Groove' though! :pimp:

Other than Toy Story yeah. I haven't ever laughed so hard at an animated film as that.

The Iron Giant sucked.

Why are people voting for The Increidbles? As a family film and what was made to look like an action/comedy I didn't laugh once it was such a watse of time. I'd rather watch AI or Hulk again and I hate them.

Why are people voting for The Increidbles? As a family film and what was made to look like an action/comedy I didn't laugh once it was such a watse of time. I'd rather watch AI or Hulk again and I hate them.

Note the bold.

Honestly, that is the kind of crappy American attitude toward animation that I don't like. I would rather have an awesome plot, cool action scenes and well developed characters(which The Incredibles did, IMO) than dumbed down kiddie comedy any day.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.