Best CG animated movie

sudden violence

Best CG animated movie  

52 members have voted

1. 1. What is the best CG animated movie?

• The Incredibles
    • Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children
    • Toy Story
    • Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within
    • Shrek
    • Other (Please Specify)

Well, the title says it all. I generally don't like the CG animated movies, but there are a few here & there that I enjoy. I really don't care for Pixar's movies(except the Incredibles), but I still included Toy Story in the poll, since I know a lot of people think animation is strictly for kids. Same thing goes for Shrek. I wanted to include Appleseed in the poll, but it's not completely CG. My vote definitely has to go to Advent Children; watch this if you haven't already to REALLY see what can be done when CG animation is used to it's fullest potential.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't really like The Incredibles. Robots, Chicken Run, CARS, all these movies make me barf. Although Finding Nemo wasn't a bad story idea, I just didn't like the execution. I didn't personally like Toy Story all that much, but I give it props I don't give to The Incredibles.

I didn't really like The Incredibles. Robots, Chicken Run, CARS, all these movies make me barf. Although Finding Nemo wasn't a bad story idea, I just didn't like the execution. I didn't personally like Toy Story all that much, but I give it props I don't give to The Incredibles.

Eh. Whatever floats your boat.

CG movies don't float my ship. :p I think they suffer from a lack of imagination. Movies without special effects still have charm and touch of reality I don't get from CG (or somewhat from digital filmmaking for that matter) - the filmmakers ask themselves, "well, how would you accomplish this?? Gonna be hard, we'll have to ... " and some imaginative response comes up. CG moviemakers ask similar questions, but the answer is simply based on the computer programs and doing technical computer work on a monitor that you can't even fix if it s broken because you can't open it and screw around with the wires and circuitry and junk! Even actors themselves have complained, ie Star Wars. I also don't like the dialogue and the movement of the characters, creatures, etc. The only really good thing about them is the speed of machines in them I've noted, and the colors! :p

Out of all of those, I'd take Toy Story. But my favorite Pixar movie, and consequently my favorite CGI movie is still Toy Story 2. Way better than the original. And seriously, you guys who don't like Pixar are just cold hearted bastards.

By the way, it's funny you guys mention Titan A.E. It's been years since I've seen that, but I still remember that in development it was originally supposed to be a fully CGI movie. But the studio didn't buy it, saying that the charecters looked out of place. So then instead of scrapping the entire film, they just brought in traditional animators to do only the charecters. So it's pretty much still a CGI film, only with hand drawn charecters. Which looks even more out of place. It's a shame that movie went through a mini-development hell. It could have been a whole lot better than it is, and its already a decent flick.

I think Pixar's films are the most groundbreaking and human-oriented CG films out there, because they go beyond the visuals (which are stunning and unparalleled as far as 3D animation goes) and craft stories with messages, themes, and dialogue that work on multiple levels and please multiple audiences. Kids, teens, and adults each would get different things from these films and come away happy, whereas the Shrek films and the other products of Dreamworks have really awful dialogue and a ton of stupid sex jokes.

It does take a while to get used to the animation style, but that's where you just have to have an open mind. I'm sure that historically, people have made the same arguments about 2D/hand-drawn animation being a cheap knockoff of reality. Pixar's films intentionally avoid emulating reality completely; they actually got so close to the real thing in Finding Nemo that they backed off and made themselves go more animated. At the same time, if you watch the making-of documentaries that accompany the films, they created their own software and are constantly updating and expanding it to be able to depict all these details accurately. I remember it being a HUGE deal that they created this new software specifically to animate Sulley's fur on Monsters, Inc.

I don't think it's fair to compare a 3D animation studio to a special effects studio in terms of "too much CG." I've lost a lot of respect for ILM after Star Wars because they really just went way too far--even their character animation sucks, and all their characters have way too much artificial swagger in their movements to fit into the seamlessly realistic image GL is trying to go for. However, Pixar is an offshoot of ILM intended specifically to work in and expand the field of computer animation. CG is what they do, and they do it brilliantly. :thumbsup:

And though I'm a bigger fan of TS2, Toy Story was a groundbreaking film. I really can't choose among the ones there, because The Incredibles is one of my favorite movies but I totally respect Toy Story for what it represented in terms of the progression of animation.

Prim--it's funny you mention Titan AE...the Drej bother me because they have no motivation for attacking the humans besides just being evil inhuman things that like to kill stuff, and that bugs me. I also don't like the CG in it at all, because the difference between it and the cel animation is way too stark (though the wake angel scene is cool). I prefer it if it's more seamless on the whole. That's the same reason I couldn't handle Treasure Island. But anyway, it's interesting because the executive producer of Titan, David Kirschner, was the creator of The Pirates of Dark Water, that show I geek out over. The story is almost exactly the same, and both projects seem to have suffered from the same curse of bad management/marketing. ;)

Following up on what Andy said..

I stuck around through the credits on Ratatouille the other night, looking for easter eggs and such and noticed something towards the end of the listings. There was a funny little graphic along with some of the others which proudly proclaimed the film as "100% Motion Capture Free" or something like that. I initially wondered what was up with that. But after thinking about it, I realized. Motion capture is just a half ass way of animating. You just stick a guy in a suit and hook every extremity up to a computer and your work is done. Pixar could easily do motion capture if they want to, but they choose against it. They animate everything psuedo-traditionally, which takes a lot more work, but ends off allowing for more creativity in the end.

I agree. Motion capture is good for things like Lord of the Rings, where they're going for realism and very subtle movements that may be tough to get across through traditional animation methods, but motion capture and rotoscoping are just methods to create animated images. They don't constitute animation themselves. It's funny and sad that they had to actually throw that disclaimer in (is that what animation's come to these days?). Ratatouille doesn't come out over here till the end of July, so I have to wait a bit longer to check it out. I can't wait to see it. :thumbsup:

Related tangent--I never saw Polar Express, but the trailers looked freaky enough. That movie was 100% mocap, I think. And the characters looked utterly lifeless.

By the way, from what I’ve read, Pixar really has something surprising up their sleeves with Wall-E, their next movie. If they follow through with what Lassater has proposed, it’s going to be even grander in scale and more complicated than The Incredibles. The proposal Lassater threw at the Disney board meeting is at the end of this PDF, I think they are really going to throw a lot of people for a loop.

http://corporate.disney.go.com/media/inves..._irc_studio.pdf

You know, I wonder why you want to know our opinion then tell us that we are wrong for liking what we do.

You know, I wonder why you want to even be alive since you can't stand the fact that someone else disagreed w/ you.

As for why I don't particularly like Pixar's stuff (save the Incredibles), it's because they constantly reinforce the thought in America that animation is a strictly for kids thing. Sure, they make it enjoyable 'enough' for adults, but what have they put out that you can honestly say is not at it's heart a kids' movie? I want the American attitude toward animation to move more towards how it is in Japan. Could you imagine CG movies w/ the plot & action of stuff like Princess Mononoke, Ninja Scroll, or Grave of the Fireflys? It would destroy any present Pixar crap. I would love to see a Miyazaki movie in CG, but who would finance such a high priced risk?

Wow. I'm surprised to see that Final Fantasy drek getting any votes at all.

As can be seen here I am quite biased in this matter. And while I was exaggerating slightly, well, The Incredibles is just an amazing movie on so many levels that I become honestly surprised when someone admits to disliking it. I have a similar level of devotion to Brad Bird's previous film "The Iron Giant" with a slightly greater tolerance for the possible idea that someone somewhere might somehow not enjoy it quite as much as I do.

Related tangent--I never saw Polar Express, but the trailers looked freaky enough. That movie was 100% mocap, I think. And the characters looked utterly lifeless.

Yep. That's a psychological phenomenon referred to as the 'uncanny valley'. Basically, detail equals cuteness so long as there's a sizable gap between the level of that detail and the actual reality of the object being presented. If you get too close but don't hit it on the dot the subtle wrongness of the image starts to creep you out like a mechanical creeping machine from Creeptown, Missouri. Ahem. If you want a better explanation minus the vagueness and the crazy then this should be more than enough.

As for why I don't particularly like Pixar's stuff (save the Incredibles), it's because they constantly reinforce the thought in America that animation is a strictly for kids thing. Sure, they make it enjoyable 'enough' for adults, but what have they put out that you can honestly say is not at it's heart a kids' movie? I want the American attitude toward animation to move more towards how it is in Japan. Could you imagine CG movies w/ the plot & action of stuff like Princess Mononoke, Ninja Scroll, or Grave of the Fireflys? It would destroy any present Pixar crap. I would love to see a Miyazaki movie in CG, but who would finance such a high priced risk?

Isn't that a little bit like disliking a pizza store because people are choosing to eat there rather than frequenting sushi restaurants or even opening up their own? Is it really Pixar's job to expand the genre expectations of the American public any more than they already have? And I think that it's the one studio that HAS struck down the notion that animation isn't strictly a kids thing and opened up the public to the idea that these movies can be enjoyable to everyone attending them.

To sum up : me like Pixar much. Greatly looking forward to Wall*e.

(Err, I actually haven't seen their last two films. Mostly because they looked thoroughly mediocre from their trailers and I didn't want to be disappointed if they turned out to be even less than awesome. So I have to admit that I don't really know what I'm talking about here.)

You know, I wonder why you want to know our opinion then tell us that we are wrong for liking what we do.

You know, I wonder why you want to even be alive since you can't stand the fact that someone else disagreed w/ you.

Pot. kettle. Black.

This is why you were eventually banned before. You're doing it in TWO threads at the moment.

You ask people for their opinions on something, then berate them when their answers aren't the same as yours.

Never mind the fact that this poll is completel biased, if you want to poll the "best CG animated movie" you can't decide to relegate all the ones you don't like to "other" and expect people to vote the way you want.

Oh yeah, he's been banned on multiple occasions. I also remember busting him for attempting to cheat on a homework assignment here, because he somehow felt he was justified in getting someone to do it for him because his personal life was busy, and he really wasn't happy when I told him he wasn't special and either needed to suck it up and do the assignment or drop the class. He got so pissy he created an "andorus sucks" screen name. I see his entitlement complex is still going strong. ;)

close the door on the way out kiddo

i bet i've played you on xbox live

your one of those wee whiney "doods" call HaXtZeRPWnzJ00 or something

who does nothing but talk drivel whilst i head shot you

vermin

Pot. kettle. Black.

This is why you were eventually banned before. You're doing it in TWO threads at the moment.

You ask people for their opinions on something, then berate them when their answers aren't the same as yours.

Never mind the fact that this poll is completel biased, if you want to poll the "best CG animated movie" you can't decide to relegate all the ones you don't like to "other" and expect people to vote the way you want.

I never whine about why someone disagrees w/ me; I just respond. Call it what you want.

& I didn't relegate the ones I don't like to 'other'. As I said, personally, I can't stand Shrek or Toy Story, but I put them in there because I know some people hold them in high regards when comparing them to other CG movies. FF7:AC clearly has the most superior CG animation ever made, & The Incredibles is usually what most people say is Pixar's greatest film(I happen to agree with that one). I put FF:SW on the list because

it is one of the very few CG animated movies that got a wide release in America with a very mature plot(which I thought would be the main criteria people would judge on. I guess I was wrong). Honestly, then, what do YOU think should be on the list? Madagascar? The Wild? Happy Feet?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.