Will Firefly Come Back?

MechWarrior

You know, it's interesting. When Firefly came out I saw so sick to death of Joss Whedon's ego that I was rooting for him to fail at it. I felt he needed to come back to the unwashed masses a little. So I didn't watch the show and was pleased when FOX screwed him over and the series failed. When that didn't lessen Whedon's massive ego, I rooted for him movie to fail as well, which it did.

And still, Whedon's ego expanded like Primbud's post count, despite Wonder Woman crashing and burning. No amount of failures could apparently put him in check so that was a lost cause.

So I tried out the series and movies on DVD and I have to admit he created a fantastic world and I wish now that it had been given the kind of rope that FOX gave The X-Files. Had that happened, I believe that network would have a monster hit on its hands which would now be in its prime in its 4th or 5th season.

I take it all back, Joss. You can have your ego! You can think you're God's gift to TV. Just let us rewind so we can have more than half a season and one movie.

Yeah, all participants have moved on.

To the unemployment line?

Believe it or not, most of them are getting steady work. Just off the top of my head, Jewel has joined the next season of Stargate: Atlantis as a regular, Nathan has his own show (called Drive or some ****), Summer has been on The 4400 a lot the past 2 or 3 seasons, and I've seen the others around.

I loved Firefly and Serenity, and while it would have been cool to have more, the tale has ended and I prefer for it not to get watered down by un-needed sequels. It's a good complete story. Leave it be!

Nathan has his own show (called Drive or some ****)

And look at what a steady gig that turned out to be! FYI : that show was canceled after two nights on TV. The remaining episodes are being thrown on the air over the 4th of July.

I, for one, remain uninterested in the prospect of even EU materials for the 'Verse. The comic series Joss Whedon co-wrote with Brett Mathews was a pretty uninspired (albeit well drawn and with a few cool moments) link between the series and the movie. Even if they did a Firefly : Season 2 ala the current Buffy comics I probably wouldn't be too enthused about getting it. Probably the only thing that would perk my interest would be something completely new from what's currently available rather than more of what we've received i.e a book, movie, live-action series, or comic. If there was a Firefly computer game or animated series (heck, a radio drama) that would really draw my attention and would be the sort of thing I'd be up for.

And this is coming from someone who loved the series and the movie so much I say "BEE-jway neen hen BOO-TEE-TYEH duh NAN-shung!" whenever I re-watch 'em.

If there was a Firefly computer game or animated series (heck, a radio drama) that would really draw my attention and would be the sort of thing I'd be up for.

That's good, since there's going to be a Firefly MMORPG that's supposed to come out sometime in 2008.

Also, I'd like to correct my statement. I wrote that Whedon said there would be no sequel. I, and many other people, took that out of context. He said, "there's no secret project regarding Serenity." He clarified his statement, saying he meant that at the moment there wasn't going to be a sequel. So there's a possiblity that there will be one down the road.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 years later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.