Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Contest and Prize Ideas!

88 replies to this topic

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

Supra-Awesome Badass PIE Pimp

• 42,592 posts
How much interest is there in a writing contest during the rest of this month?

Richcelt

Richcelt

Musician, Historian, and Stalker Extraordinaire

• Members
  • 8,375 posts
I'm up for one. (but you probably figured that.)

Nixie

Nixie

showing all my haters love

• Members
  • 2,166 posts
im interested in reading one! :D

GreenLightBaby

GreenLightBaby

Following Kromaggs

• Members
  • 774 posts

Yeah, kill my muse while you're at it. ;) I need her for Nano and dammit, I'm finally on schedule just past 30K.

Oh, I'm supposed to be lurking... dammit...

Eve

Eve

Nerd 4 Life

• Members
  • 1,828 posts

Yeah, kill my muse while you're at it. ;) I need her for Nano and dammit, I'm finally on schedule just past 30K.

Oh, I'm supposed to be lurking... dammit...

Oh, so YOU'RE the one they talked about in regards to NaNo!

My muse wishes for me to tell you that he says hi to your muse. ;)

And also -- GOOD LUCK! :D

Edited by Eve, 19 November 2007 - 12:24 AM.

Nixie

Nixie

showing all my haters love

• Members
  • 2,166 posts
greenlightbaby! yay! ive really missed you! :(

glad your still around. :) :)

brutoole

brutoole

• Members
  • 244 posts

I'm interested.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• 42,592 posts
WOO HOO!! GreenLightBaby up in the Hizoouse!!! >:-P~~~~~~~~~~~~

Will you be posting in the NaNo thread? :flirt:

Tank

Tank

Driver

• 34,820 posts
contest!
stat!

I have a few days off for Thanksgiving and need something do do as I sit by the pool in a tryptophan daze.

LadyGuinevere

LadyGuinevere

Taking on the world with an innocent smile

• Members
  • 1,091 posts
Yay, GLB! :thumbsup:

Rest of the month is quite busy for me, so not sure whether or not I'd be able to participate in this one.

Jedi Jami

Jedi Jami

YOU were ok, WE were kick ass!

• Members
  • 8,899 posts
So Shadowdog, where's my prize? I won a contest, I deserve a prize. Is it because I actually don't deserve a prize because that was the only contest I've ever entered? Oh. Ok. That's cool. It probably would've been something cheesy anyway, like a penis eraser or a stationary set. :P

Cerina

Cerina

Now and forever...

• Admin
  • 29,889 posts
Oh God how I wish I had a penis eraser. Better than kicking someone in the testicles, hands down.

Richcelt

Richcelt

Musician, Historian, and Stalker Extraordinaire

• Members
  • 8,375 posts
Contest topic idea: Weather (the worse the better). Rain, snow, or anything NOT SUNNY. Most stories posted here seem like they happen on nice sunny days. Even when specified that it's not, the details of the weather are missing and it still seems like a sunny day despite whatever mentioned that it wasn't. So, I propose rain, snow, sleet, hail, tornadoes, hurricanes, and all sorts of weather that would make a character's life just a bit more difficult (even if they happen to LIKE the particular weather).

Kung Fu Jawa

Kung Fu Jawa

Cotton-Headed Ninny Muggins

• Members
  • 15,241 posts
Contest idea:

Story rewrite. Take a short story with a lot of flaws in it, maybe just a paragraph or two and have contestants rewrite it to improve it. My daughter has been making up her own bed time stories to tell me lately so that would be a great source for the flawed piece. I could transcribe her tales of adventuring cats and babies.

ElfinYoda

ElfinYoda

Oh my god Becky, look at her Big Book...

• Members
  • 7,184 posts
Ooh, I like KFJ's idea, though if I tried to translate one of the tot's stories, it would make no sense at all! She seems to do stories in babble speak for some reason; well, I know the reason, she wants to stay a baby, does not want to go past 3 years old! lol

Antilla

Antilla

ET phone gnome

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
I think a good non-writing but still related contest would be to design your own bookplate. You know what I mean ... those this book belongs to ____ tags that you can stick inside your books if you're paranoid about them getting stolen or would like some subtle encouragement in place for the folks you let borrow your tomes in hopes that they'll actually make it home in your lifetime.

I've made one, but I don't really use it:

Posted Image

Didact

Didact

• Members
  • 4,831 posts
How does one enter said contest?

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• 42,592 posts
There are pinned contest announcements in the main forum from time to time. Just keep an eye out for them and follow whatever directions they lay out. :P

Sonny

Sonny

Scared of MonkeyDog

• Members
  • 3,598 posts
I love your bookplate Antilla.

Can we do another contest where people secretly submit their writing and all of us have to guess who wrote what merely from their writing voices? That was my favorite contest of all time.

brutoole

brutoole

• Members
  • 244 posts

I love your bookplate Antilla.

Can we do another contest where people secretly submit their writing and all of us have to guess who wrote what merely from their writing voices? That was my favorite contest of all time.

I really like this idea! I must have missed the first one. Which contest was it?

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• 42,592 posts
It was a while back now but yeah let's definitely do another one. :D

Copper

Copper

I am groot

• 12,595 posts
I totally OWNED that contest.

Man I'm amazing.

Copper

Copper

I am groot

• 12,595 posts
geez, I'm cocky.

Anyways.

I'm bumping this cause I want any new/reiterated ideas that you guys have. I'm want to know what you want, how you want it and when!

Antilla

Antilla

ET phone gnome

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
My idea is just to have a contest period.

You know. I mean. More than once every three months, anyway.

I bet people would participate even if there were no prizes. Yeah. They would submit just for the glory of it all. There is precedent for this.

IMericka

IMericka

Deadly Nightshade

• Members
  • 15,769 posts
i think the contests might get kinda tedious if they're too frequent, but there's always non-competitive writing/reading activities that we could do to still drum up involvement etc. maybe some kind of loose schedule could be drawn... like

biweekly: reading activity/game
monthly: writing activity/game
every 2 months: writing contest
every 4 months or so (seasonal, maybe?): Tournament

or some other way, just throwing **** out there.

Reply to this topic