Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Welcome to the Amphitheatre!

54 replies to this topic

Copper

Copper

I am groot

• 12,595 posts
google search--> "ampitheatre"

google results --> "Did you mean "amphitheatre?"

So Dave I dunno.

Dave Dark

Dave Dark

stands erected

• Members
  • 2,962 posts
hey April would you like a free matching emo avatar to go with that new member title?

Cerina

Cerina

Now and forever...

• Admin
  • 29,906 posts
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand sol goes on my ignore list.

APRIL YOU'RE NEXT!!

j/k i luv u

did you wanna go to the zoo in San Diego?

Copper

Copper

I am groot

• 12,595 posts

hey April would you like a free matching emo avatar to go with that new member title?

If you want to go to the effort, the least I could do is use it.

Dave Dark

Dave Dark

stands erected

• Members
  • 2,962 posts
SHUT UP REESE I WAS MAKING A POINT.

WON'T YOU PEOPLE STOP TALKING OVER MY ******* POINTS.

I MEAN REALLY.

Cerina

Cerina

Now and forever...

• Admin
  • 29,906 posts
Jesus ******* CHRIST! IF ONE MORE GOD DAMNED PERSON TELLS ME TO SHUT UP TODAY

**** YOU ALL!!

Dave Dark

Dave Dark

stands erected

• Members
  • 2,962 posts
goddamnit you're doing it again.

Copper

Copper

I am groot

• 12,595 posts

google search--> "ampitheatre"

google results --> "Did you mean "amphitheatre?"

So Dave I dunno.

there's your point dave. happy? now where's my ******* avatar.

Cerina

Cerina

Now and forever...

• Admin
  • 29,906 posts
I'ma cut you emo boi!

TIL YOU BLEED!

Dave Dark

Dave Dark

stands erected

• Members
  • 2,962 posts
OH NOES I AM SO SCARED.

Cerina

Cerina

Now and forever...

• Admin
  • 29,906 posts
YOU SHOULD BE!

this fighting is silly. I'm sorry lil buddy.

wanna hug it out?

Dave Dark

Dave Dark

stands erected

• Members
  • 2,962 posts
Reese I'm ignoring you until you respect me for the not very lil person I am.

the buddy thing is negotiable.

but seriously what the **** is an ampitheatre.

Thomas Alan

Thomas Alan

Master Debator

• Banned Users
  • 25,965 posts

If this idea doesn't work things will go back to the way they were. Period.

Can I just ask how this improves anything? It wasn't hard to find the contests before. Mara's commenting about liking organization just makes me shake my head.

My guess is that this place still gets almost as many new stories and significantly less traffic. You guys will take it not dying off completely and not see a reason to change things.

I wish subforums weren't an option anymore. They've done more harm to this place than good (see the failure of the Filmmakers' Forum).

Jason Solo

Jason Solo

Gotta Get Down

• Members
  • 28,392 posts
I just want to assure people here that there is little substance to the idea that this forum will not be removed if it hurts the participation of these contests. If it fails, its gone, you have our word.

For anyone who might be a teensy bit curious about the page views example.... It can't be removed even if we wanted to; I can count on one hand the number of people who had a problem with it at the time we moved to IPB; the problems those couple people thought would arise from the page view count have never arisen, not even once, more than a year after they first appeared.

In other words, if this idea turns out to suck major ass, it'll go away, we won't keep it just to annoy people.

Cerina

Cerina

Now and forever...

• Admin
  • 29,906 posts
It's not that the contest forums are hard to find. They're just overcrowding the main page.

wtf...I thought I'd ignored you.

I'm sorry Dave. I think you're adorable but if it bothers you...we'll just be buddies and I'll think of you as manly and virile. K?

Are we hugging this out or what?

WARNING!! Manly and virile might result in me hitting on you occasionally. It's a sickness and I'm seeking help.

Dave Dark

Dave Dark

stands erected

• Members
  • 2,962 posts
man. I just can't win, can I.

k hugs.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

Supra-Awesome Badass PIE Pimp

• 42,592 posts

Can I just ask how this improves anything? It wasn't hard to find the contests before. Mara's commenting about liking organization just makes me shake my head.

My guess is that this place still gets almost as many new stories and significantly less traffic. You guys will take it not dying off completely and not see a reason to change things.

I wish subforums weren't an option anymore. They've done more harm to this place than good (see the failure of the Filmmakers' Forum).

I hear what you're saying man. I really do. And the Filmmaker's Forum hasn't failed yet. I've discovered that it's been hard to motivate myself to go in there because it's like a postman going for a walk on his day off. It's like bringing my work home with me. I've been working so many hours and so hard on filmmaking that I have little energy to discuss it during my few hours off. But that will hopefully change now that things are slowing down with my work and I will do my part in making that forum a success. (and soon I will be able to announce some exciting projects I am newly involved in so all this hard work will have been worth it)

Anyway, back to your main points.

1) "Can I just ask how this improves anything? It wasn't hard to find the contests before."

True, but there's another side to that equation. It was sometimes hard to find regular posts. Posts made during contests were slipping through the cracks and dropping like rocks. Either they go to oblivion or people had to shamelessly up their own threads just to get the attention they normally would have gotten. So with less clutter in the main forum but a place for contests to call their own we should have the best of both worlds. Because I'm convinced there will be no less traffic for contests because people love them. You said yourself that you weren't motivated to finish a story once the contest deadline had passed, and it's a proven fact that non contest short stories receive less views and replies than contest stories do. If we moved the contest to the moon it would still get traffic. I'm not convinced the same would have been true if we'd enacted the other option under consideration, making this subforum for non contest creative writing. So I think if anything will work, this experiment will.

There's another angle too. The possible pitfalls have been well laid out by you and others but sometimes we can't see the possibile benefits to a move like this until after it has been tried. Since everything can be moved back to the main forum if this doesn't work, there is no reason to not try this experiment. But there is the element of the unknown that provides us an additional reason to try this. Who knows what this can lead to? We'll never know if we don't try it because it's just going to fail anyway.

In summary, there is no reason to not try this since it's not set in concrete, but there are foreseeable and unforseeable possible benefits to giving this a try.

2) "Mara's commenting about liking organization just makes me shake my head."

It wasn't a thesis on our rationale for this move, it was a light hearted comment with a small grain of truth but obviously not expected to be taken at face value and as the complete and total motive.

3) "My guess is that this place still gets almost as many new stories and significantly less traffic. You guys will take it not dying off completely and not see a reason to change things."

Not gonna happen. I'm a ratings whore. If we're not getting the ratings we were before, why maintain the status quo?

Have the faith man, this is gonna work. And if it doesn't, we'll deep six it with the Virtual Hot Dog Stand and the Zoot Suit Forum. :pimp:

Cerina

Cerina

Now and forever...

• Admin
  • 29,906 posts
Ya know...the Heroes forum started as a sub-forum. Look at how well it's doing.

Nixie

Nixie

showing all my haters love

• Members
  • 2,166 posts
:lol: my father lurks there. hes like the kitten that doesnt quite know if it can trust the milk you lay out so every day it creeps a little closer to your bowl on the porch just to see what happens. :lol:

i dont see what the big deal is. if this doesnt work well be back to where we were before except that sd will be disgraced. :lol:

Undome Telcontar

Undome Telcontar

Home.

• Members
  • 13,400 posts
what do you think of this?

it just needs finishing off by someone with script fonts on their computer.

EDIT: oops, not quite finished. the blending needs to be better. but you get the idea, anyway.

Attached Files

Undome Telcontar

Undome Telcontar

Home.

• Members
  • 13,400 posts
on second thoughts, maybe not.

it's pretty **** actually.

needs a hell of a lot more work.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

Supra-Awesome Badass PIE Pimp

• 42,592 posts
I love the design! I think it needs a bit more work but the design is perfect in my opinion.

Richcelt

Richcelt

Musician, Historian, and Stalker Extraordinaire

• Members
  • 8,375 posts
Might as well put the word "amphitheater" in the banner as well. Yes, we know what that structure is, but it doesn't look right with just "the" there.

Cerina

Cerina

Now and forever...

• Admin
  • 29,906 posts
Uhm. I think he wants somebody with pretty fonts to finish that.

I did read that right, didn't I?

IMericka

IMericka

Deadly Nightshade

• Members
  • 15,769 posts
I've got like 10,000 fonts so hit me up broseph.

Reply to this topic