Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Welcome to the Amphitheatre!

54 replies to this topic

Mara Jade Skywalker

Mara Jade Skywalker

Unpaid Disney Shill

• Members
  • 34,732 posts
We've decided to try out a subforum for Book Club contests. All contest entries and contest announcements will go here. We will still have an announcement thread for contests in the Book Club, with a link to come to the subforum. Hopefully this will work out well. If not, we'll go back to the old way.

ShadowDog suggested this name, the Ampitheatre, however if anyone has any other ideas for names, let us know!

All writing that is not related to contests should go in the Book Club.

That is all! :D

(ShadowDog, I moved all the contest threads I could find from this year. I left the Summer contest sign-up thread in the Book Club. Go ahead and move any other threads you think should be here.)

Kung Fu Jawa

Kung Fu Jawa

Cotton-Headed Ninny Muggins

• Members
  • 15,241 posts
Sonny's not going to condone this...

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

Supra-Awesome Badass PIE Pimp

• 42,592 posts
:lol:

Sweet Mara! :thumbsup: :D Thanks for setting this up and moving everything over. :P

Mara Jade Skywalker

Mara Jade Skywalker

Unpaid Disney Shill

• Members
  • 34,732 posts

I have made it legal.

Copper

Copper

I am groot

• 12,595 posts
I dunno how I feel about this.

that being said, good job Mara! It looks pretty.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• 42,592 posts

I have made it legal.

LMFAO

Um, um, lemme see.

This game of yours has failed, Sonny. The subforum is created. We dare not go against the Admins.

Mara Jade Skywalker

Mara Jade Skywalker

Unpaid Disney Shill

• Members
  • 34,732 posts

If the contests start dying off, we'll integrate them back into the main forum.

I like segregating the contests because 1) it's easier to find contest threads and 2) I love organization.

that being said, good job Mara! It looks pretty.

This was the first forum I created. I have to give Rock credit though, he transferred the skin over.

Kung Fu Jawa

Kung Fu Jawa

• Members
  • 15,241 posts
NOw we just need a new banner.

Mara Jade Skywalker

Mara Jade Skywalker

Unpaid Disney Shill

• Members
  • 34,732 posts
Yes, feel free to make banners, come up with new names, and all that jazz!

Kung Fu Jawa

Kung Fu Jawa

• Members
  • 15,241 posts
I have an idea, but no resources.

~le sigh~

Mara Jade Skywalker

Mara Jade Skywalker

Unpaid Disney Shill

• Members
  • 34,732 posts
Pawn it out on others!

Cerina

Cerina

Now and forever...

• Admin
  • 29,906 posts
Yay!! I can find STUFF!! :D

Sonny

Sonny

Scared of MonkeyDog

• Members
  • 3,598 posts

I have made it legal.

I don't mind this so much as what I feared would transpire. Namely a writing barrio where good stories faced segregated oblivion. I think this contest subdivision could work because the contests draw interest in and of themselves. Contrast that with the last couple non contest short stories posted by Richcelt and ShadowDog which went largely ignored and quickly faded from the front page. If non contest stories were being ignored before - what would be their fate once banished to literary Purgatory?

I still have my doubts about this being a good idea but I see no harm in the attempt and will heartily do my bit in support. Especially since I now have a team in the Tournament.

What a wonderfully polite way of saying you don't like something. Who says that civility is dead?

I have made it legal.

This game of yours has failed, Sonny. The subforum is created. We dare not go against the Admins.

Indeed. You can't stop change any more than you can stop the suns from setting. (I suggest you lay down your arms, I can quote Star Wars until the cows come home.)

Cerina

Cerina

Now and forever...

• Admin
  • 29,906 posts
:lol: We could have an entire forum where we do nothing but speak to each other in Star Wars quotes. I'm sure it'd go over well.

Richcelt

Richcelt

Musician, Historian, and Stalker Extraordinaire

• Members
  • 8,375 posts

Contrast that with the last couple non contest short stories posted by Richcelt and ShadowDog which went largely ignored and quickly faded from the front page.

Sure, rub it in why don't you. :unimpressed: :P

(I suggest you lay down your arms, I can quote Star Wars until the cows come home.)

Great, kid. Don't get cocky.

Your arrogance is your weakness.

Copper

Copper

I am groot

• 12,595 posts

What a wonderfully polite way of saying you don't like something. Who says that civility is dead?

:lol:

you just totally called me out.

awesome

also. wtf. I write short stories outside of the contest threads. THERE'S ONE POSTED RIGHT NOW CALLED 'BOTCHED'.

wow. that was rude of me to yell.

<3?

Copper

Copper

I am groot

• 12,595 posts
on a different note:

why

does the ampitheatre

have a helm wheel as its symbol.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• 42,592 posts
That's a good question. I guess I assumed it was a wheel of fortune. :lol:

Oh, and I think Sonny's point was the stories that weren't getting replies and which quickly sank like a rock. :lol: Not an issue with Botched. :thumbsup:

Dave Dark

Dave Dark

stands erected

• Members
  • 2,962 posts
my favorite part is how it's spelled correctly.

Thomas Alan

Thomas Alan

Master Debator

• Banned Users
  • 25,965 posts
Subforums are a wonderful way to lower participation and reduce the number of people reading what is submitted. If that's your goal, I approve.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• 42,592 posts

If the contests start dying off, we'll integrate them back into the main forum.

Thomas Alan

Thomas Alan

Master Debator

• Banned Users
  • 25,965 posts
Yeah I saw that. I'm skeptical for that ever happening. Bad ideas around here tend to stick for years.

Use page views as a metric.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• 42,592 posts

Bad ideas around here tend to stick for years.

I can't speak for any other part of Nightly or for any previous incarnation of the Book Club, but I can state unequivocally that this is not true for the Book Club since I have been here. Otherwise I would still be doing "Ask the Writing Gods." I LOVED that idea, had a blast writing it, and would still be doing it if it had generated any interest whatsoever. But, alas, it didn't. Ours is not to wonder why some things take off and others don't, ours is merely to ride, cultivate, and nuture the things that to do take off.

If this idea doesn't work things will go back to the way they were. Period. :shrug:

bonnie13

bonnie13

A Matter of Time

• Members
  • 28,793 posts
I think that with the amout of witing, this will be a good place to catch our creative talent,

Dave Dark

Dave Dark

stands erected

• Members
  • 2,962 posts
seriously guys.

wtf is an ampitheatre.

Reply to this topic