Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Poetry Contest

64 replies to this topic

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

Supra-Awesome Badass PIE Pimp

• 42,592 posts
Well, I know who I'd vote for if the contest ended now, but some new fancy poem could roll up in here and sweet talk me into the car, so I'll have to wait to make my final decision until we've crossed the finish line.

bonnie13

bonnie13

A Matter of Time

• Members
  • 28,793 posts
The End

Undome Telcontar

Undome Telcontar

Home.

• Members
  • 13,400 posts
i have an awesome entry, but it's not written yet, and i doubt it will be before the daedline

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• 42,592 posts
:rock:

Undome Telcontar

Undome Telcontar

Home.

• Members
  • 13,400 posts
lol. plus it might be quite long.

I JUST DON'T KNOW YET!!1

i could just enter one of the ones i already have. would that make you feel bettter?

which one should i enter?

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• 42,592 posts
All your stuff is good so surprise me. >:-P~~~~~~

Undome Telcontar

Undome Telcontar

Home.

• Members
  • 13,400 posts
you say all... all two of them... :lol:

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• 42,592 posts
Hey, post more of your work and I'll have a larger sample from which to judge. :pimp:

Undome Telcontar

Undome Telcontar

Home.

• Members
  • 13,400 posts
that is all my work, so far. all my poetry anyway. :(

i wanted to write something this morning, but... i dunno. :shrug:

Richcelt

Richcelt

Musician, Historian, and Stalker Extraordinaire

• Members
  • 8,375 posts
Well, I'll just submit something for part one. As most poetry is put to music, and music lyrics are a form of poetry, and I am a musician first and foremost, my contribution is song lyrics.

I was reciently reminded of this song, and woke up this morning with it playing in my head. I don't particularly like it because it's depressing, and strikes a personal chord with me, but the music is beautiful, and the lyrics equally so.

...And it coincidentally coincided, in a way, with Bonnie13's last entry in the collaboration story. So, here is my entry: Neil Diamond's "Morningside"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MORNINGSIDE
Written by Neil Diamond

Morningside
The old man died
And no one cried
They simply turned away
And when he died
He left a table made of nails and pride
And with his hands, he carved these words inside
'For my childen'

Morning light
Morning bright
I spent the night
With dreams that make you weep
Morning time
Wash away the sadness from these eyes of mine
For I recall the words an old man signed
'For my children'

And the legs were shaped with his hands
And the top made of oaken wood
And the children that sat around his table
Touched it with their laughter
Ah, and that was good

Morningside
An old man died
And no one cried
He surely died alone
And truth is sad
For not a children would claim
the gift he had
The words he carved
became his epitaph
'For my children'

Edited by Richcelt, 13 May 2007 - 08:09 AM.

GreenLightBaby

GreenLightBaby

Following Kromaggs

• Members
  • 774 posts
Moonlight Secrets

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• 42,592 posts
One hour to go!

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• 42,592 posts
That's all folks! The voting will begin in a few minutes.

bonnie13

bonnie13

A Matter of Time

• Members
  • 28,793 posts

I was reciently reminded of this song, and woke up this morning with it playing in my head. I don't particularly like it because it's depressing, and strikes a personal chord with me, but the music is beautiful, and the lyrics equally so.

...And it coincidentally coincided, in a way, with Bonnie13's last entry in the collaboration story. So, here is my entry: Neil Diamond's "Morningside"

For those who don't know what it sounds like, you tube has a version of Neil singing it live (didn't really like what pictures they used but was looking for the music part of it). The words strike a familar chord with me.

My dad had died, and I did his funeral. The only people that came was me, my husband (whom I had divorced...more on that later), and my friend. That was it. I drove the car out to Riverside National and they thought more was coming, I explained that this was it.

Now I had divorced my husband, and went on to live my life. He had passed away after being on life support for about three months. He had no family. He was buried in an unmarked grave. I did have a memorial service for him though at my church. We did not have any children. So, I can relate to the aloneless that the song speaks of. (And hey, I went to Morningside High, btw)

Richcelt

Richcelt

Musician, Historian, and Stalker Extraordinaire

• Members
  • 8,375 posts
That trumps me. Wow, Bonnie. Just... wow.

My dad died from a sudden heartattack. However, he was one of four kids, all of whom are still alive, and had four kids. Plus he was a charter member and organist of the local Elks Lodge. So there were plenty of people that attended his funeral. What strikes a note with me, and is the reason I can't listen to this song, or Mike and the Mechanics' "The Living Years", is because Dad and I had a bit of a falling out during the year before he died. He didn't approve of my relationship with Angylkat for some reason. He was just beginning to accept and warm up to her when he died, so there was something left unresolved. But, no, he was never alone like your dad and husband, fortunately. I just couldn't imagine that.

Reply to this topic