Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

"Untapped"

6 replies to this topic

Angylkat

Angylkat

Goddess of Cattitude

• Members
  • 8,780 posts
She heard the door open and the familiar footsteps of her attacker returning. "I think you have had time enough to heal," he said as he cast another spell on her.

Pain shot through her slender form, every nerve seemed to explode inside her, making her writhe. She tried not to scream, but could not help herself. She begged for him to stop as he cast spell after spell, mumbling some nonsense about "her potential" and "untapped power". She had no idea what he was talking about. She was still coming to terms with her divine heritage, which wasn’t really something to be proud of.

“Why do you fight it?” Her attacker asked. "You could be so much, godchild."

She could not answer him through the raw pain. She was surprised that he hadn’t killed her completely.

Finally, he stopped his attack and unlocked the cage, he forced a few healing potions down her throat and left her sprawled out on the floor of her cage.

After what seemed like hours, she found herself able to move very slowly. There was a minimal amount of light coming in from a high window, but enough for her to ascertain her surroundings, starting with her prison. It was a tall cage, hanging from what looked like a meat hook. She weakly stretched out to touch the bars; they were cold metal, possibly adamantium, possibly something stronger, and completely unbreakable. There were other cages around hers, some looked empty; others held shapeless lumps, but she couldn’t tell if the lumps were alive or dead, or even human. She pushed herself around to the front of the cage, trying not to agitate any of her open wounds and felt up to the lock. There was no way to pick it, and she was too weak and unable to focus, to do any magic. There were two doors. One was to the right and the other was to the left in front of her. Who knew where they led, but probably to places better than where she was.

She slumped again, exhausted, and attempted to get some sleep before he returned. She hoped that the nightmares would not come again, lest she go insane.

She woke up to bright light shining in her eyes. After spending an unknown amount of time in the dark, even with her ability to see in it, she was blinded. She could sense that her captor was here, though, and the clinking of metal tools only proved that.

Turning her head slowly in her attempt to keep her head from hurting anymore than it did, if that was even possible, she tried to figure out where she was. She was apparently on something very cold…maybe a slab of some sort, either marble or metal; and she was naked. She could make out blurry shapes that looked like jars filled with liquid and various organic materials. Everything else was stark white, barren and sterile. She guessed this was some sort of an examination room. He had brought her here once before.

She felt the fear inside rising, along with something else that she couldn’t define. There was an inner voice, encouraging her to fight, trying to anger her. She was too weak to fight though, her body, though partially healed from the magical attack on her, still hurt. Her muscles were still sore, and if she touched anything, it sent waves of pain through her nerves.

The light shined in her eyes again, rendering her unable to see anything other than shapes. He was bringing something towards her. As she felt him make the first cut into her chest she knew that he had a scalpel. She had no idea what he was looking for, or how cutting her up would give him access to whatever “untapped power” she supposedly had. She gritted her teeth, too weary to scream and too weary to be angry, as he cut and examined and cut and violated her over and over until she finally passed out, both physical and mental exhaustion overtaking her.

She was back in the cage again, broken and bleeding. She had no idea what was keeping her alive, or why she was alive. Most people would have died from such treatment. Then again, she wasn’t like most people was she?

She wondered about her companions, and if most of them were okay and still alive. The ambush had caught them all off guard. She knew at least two people got away, and one had been killed. Hot wet tears fell down her cheeks as she thought about the one that didn’t survive. Why did they capture her?

She pondered this last point as she lay there, trying to rest her mind and body, and waiting for him to return. She had to get out of here, and find her companions.

He returned several hours, (or was it days) later and began to fire his spells at her again, repeating the cycle of seemingly unending agony. This time however, she heard a voice. He is no match for you, it said. Embrace your potential and you can kill him; use the power within you. She realized the voice came from inside her, and knew it for what it was. It was soothing though, even comforting in a way and encouraging at the same time.

A numb feeling overcame her as she began to focus on the voice, despite the fact that this could be her undoing. She could hear the underlying evil of the voice, but she was beyond caring. Slowly she allowed her anger to take over, completely blocking out her captor and his spells. She could feel the heat of her body rising as it began to tear itself apart, transforming her. The voice grew louder and more triumphant as she underwent the change. She felt nothing now, nothing at all as she completed her transformation and embraced the power that had lain dormant. Mindlessly, she lashed out at the one who had kept her imprisoned, a surge of adrenaline and satisfaction coursing through her form as she slowly killed him.

Soon he lay dead before her, his body battered and mangled. She found herself returning to her human form, and coldly surveyed her work, kicking him one last time as she turned to try to find her companions and leave.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

Supra-Awesome Badass PIE Pimp

• 42,592 posts
Sweet, another genre story! :thumbsup: This is going to be a very difficult vote indeed!

I liked this a lot. I could really feel her mounting terror and desperation, which made the conclusion that much more satisfying. :P I always like it when the ******** get jacked up in the end.

I found this paragraph to be particularly bleak and well written:

Turning her head slowly in her attempt to keep her head from hurting anymore than it did, if that was even possible, she tried to figure out where she was. She was apparently on something very cold…maybe a slab of some sort, either marble or metal; and she was naked. She could make out blurry shapes that looked like jars filled with liquid and various organic materials. Everything else was stark white, barren and sterile. She guessed this was some sort of an examination room. He had brought her here once before.

Copper

Copper

I am groot

• 12,595 posts
Excellent job, Angyl. I'm so glad to see you submitting something for the competition :) As SD said, you do a great job of connecting with the reader. I felt her pain.

I love how she kicked him one last time before she left. Fitting.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Nixie

Nixie

showing all my haters love

• Members
  • 2,166 posts
why arent more people reading this? :confused: this is really good! i didnt know you wrote kat but you should do it more. :)

i agree about how she kicked him. :lol:

Mara Jade Skywalker

Mara Jade Skywalker

Unpaid Disney Shill

• Members
  • 34,732 posts
Very good. I'd like to know more about the main character, which is always a good thing.

I did catch several grammar errors, but those are always fixable.

LadyGuinevere

LadyGuinevere

Taking on the world with an innocent smile

• Members
  • 1,091 posts
I like it :thumbsup: I've always found it hard to write fantasy myself, so I'm impressed when other people do ;) Agree that the final kick is very much in character. I do find myself wanting to know more, like what her other form is, and what he was trying to find out from her or is he was trying to stimulate the other form. Would probably work well as part of a longer and more intricate piece :)

Angylkat

Angylkat

Goddess of Cattitude

• Members
  • 8,780 posts

Very good. I'd like to know more about the main character, which is always a good thing.

I did catch several grammar errors, but those are always fixable.

I did too after I posted it and was too tired to fix them.

Reply to this topic