Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Book Club Contest #6

145 replies to this topic

Mara Jade Skywalker

Mara Jade Skywalker

Unpaid Disney Shill

• Members
  • 34,732 posts
Haha, good deduction. Yup, it was a review for one of the Orlando-UCF Shakespeare plays. I wrote it for my college newspaper. I wrote several articles in the summer of 2002. It was fun. I guess my "non-fiction" writing style has always been strong because of all the papers I had to write in college.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

Supra-Awesome Badass PIE Pimp

• 42,592 posts

REESE I'm 95% sure you thought my piece was someone else's. now get in here and affirm my educated suspicions.

She was convinced you were basil. The only person who talked more **** in private about how smart she was than Cerina was Nixie. :lol:

Copper

Copper

I am groot

• 12,595 posts
I totally knew Basil's because of the 'monkey' reference.

He LOVES that word.

Mara Jade Skywalker

Mara Jade Skywalker

Unpaid Disney Shill

• Members
  • 34,732 posts
Yeah, that's what I thought as well Copper. Also the reference that she was going to **** her boyfriend. Basil is blunt like that.

Dave Dark

Dave Dark

stands erected

• Members
  • 2,962 posts

REESE I'm 95% sure you thought my piece was someone else's. now get in here and affirm my educated suspicions.

She was convinced you were basil. The only person who talked more **** in private about how smart she was than Cerina was Nixie. :lol:

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA.

ohhh my god.

ahahahahahaahaha.

hahaha.

that made my day. :thumbsup:

FUNNY HOW SHE REFUSES TO COME IN HERE AND FESS UP TO IT HERSELF. or maybe she's too busy ******** bricks:

if it turns out to be someone else, I'll **** a brick

I knew basil's within seconds. every single word, especially the specific lack of them, was a dead giveaway, and I've only read a baby's handful of his pieces. I find it hard to believe that anything I write even remotely resembles his style.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• 42,592 posts
WELL IF YOU'RE SO CLEVER WHY DIDN'T YOU SUBMIT SOME GUESSES?!? ;)

IMericka

IMericka

Deadly Nightshade

• Members
  • 15,769 posts
i'd just like to say that i was right about every single one of these, i just didn't enter because i thought i'd give other people a chance at winning something for once.

Copper

Copper

I am groot

• 12,595 posts
LIES.

that's right ericka i'm calling you out

Dave Dark

Dave Dark

stands erected

• Members
  • 2,962 posts
SOMEONE GET THE MUD.

AND THE VIDEOCAMERA.

BECAUSE SERIOUSLY.

YESS.

Dave Dark

Dave Dark

stands erected

• Members
  • 2,962 posts
my bad was I coming on too strong?

IMericka

IMericka

Deadly Nightshade

• Members
  • 15,769 posts
copper and i already had a girls' lunch over the internet today. mud wrestling is just the next step.

Dave Dark

Dave Dark

stands erected

• Members
  • 2,962 posts
HEY DEXTER.

DID YOU MAYBE STOP TO THINK.

THAT I WAS THE ONLY AUTHOR WHO DIDN'T SUBMIT GUESSES.

AND STILL MATCHED CARL AND RICHCELT, WHOSE CORRECT SELF-GUESSES WERE COUNTED TOWARDS THEIR TOTALS?

HM?

Copper

Copper

I am groot

• 12,595 posts
Haha good call Dave. You are right, they shouldn't really get credit for recognizing themselves.

and ericka I totally want to wrestle with you. naked. but I think jello would be more fun than mud.

Dave Dark

Dave Dark

stands erected

• Members
  • 2,962 posts
I'd consider eating some of that Jell-O.

I'm sorry that was kinda creepy wasn't it.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• 42,592 posts
That's a good point Dave, but I'm sure they could counter with the fact that if you'd had the guts to submit your guesses, you would have had a 5th vote and won this outright.

Dave Dark

Dave Dark

stands erected

• Members
  • 2,962 posts
I...

I have nothing to say to you.

except omgH8.

eye_of_the_wolf

eye_of_the_wolf

Life is an unsolvable puzzle.

• Members
  • 2,415 posts
Only 2 people guessed mine ... Wait one of those were myself! How did you know Copper?

Well done btw, and well done to everyone else that was hard ... I did better than i thoguht actualy ...

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

• 42,592 posts
Okay, the tiebreaker results are in! First, here was the challenge I set for our tied brethern.

Rules: Many brilliant writers have chosen to end their own lives. I will provide the method of choice, and details of their work; can you name the author? Whoever gets the most authors correct wins the prize. If there is another tie, everyone tied will each win a prize.

1. This well-traveled Hungarian revealed his disenchantment with Communism in the 1940 novel "Darkness at Noon." Long suffering from leukemia and Parkinson's, he took a drug overdose in 1983.
a) Arthur Koestler
b ) Lech Walesa
c) Milan Kundera
d) Friedrich Nietzsche

2) This American poet composed "Lady Lazarus", in which she recounts previous suicide attempts:
"I am only thirty.
And like the cat I have nine times to die.
This is number three."
In 1963, she fatally gassed herself.
a) Gwendolyn Brooks
b ) Sylvia Plath
c) Emily Dickinson
d) Charlotte Bronte

3. This celebrated American novelist and short-story writer penned "Hills Like White Elephants" and "A Clean, Well-Lighted Place." He shot himself in the head in 1961.
a) Jack Kerouac
b ) John Steinbeck
c) Ernest Hemingway
d) Walt Whitman

4. This British playwright, author of "Crave" and "Blasted," initially faced critical condemnation for the extreme violence common in her plays. She hanged herself in 1999.
a) Mildred Lane
b ) Sarah Kane
c) Mary Jane
d) Beatrice Zane

5. This American poet, who battled depression throughout her life, wrote "Wanting to Die" and "The Truth the Dead Know." In 1974, she died of carbon monoxide poisoning in her garage.
a) Anne Sexton
b ) Stevie Smith
c) Alice Walker
d) Maya Angelou

6. This prolific American writer is best known for "Call of the Wild." His death in 1916 has sometimes been rumoured a suicide by morphine overdose, though this is by no means proven. His official cause of death was uremia.
a) Gore Vidal
b ) James Michener
c) Washington Irving
d) Jack London

7. This Auschwitz survivor, born in Italy, wrote of his experiences in "If This is a Man." He died after falling several stories from his apartment landing in 1987; most conclude that this was a deliberate suicide rather than accident.
a) Umberto Eco
b ) Primo Levi
c) Ignazio Silone
d) Elie Wiesel

8. This British Romantic poet is widely believed to have composed "The Rowley Poems" (which at the time of publication had purportedly been written by one Thomas Rowley in the 15th century). He ingested arsenic in his attic in 1770, and died penniless at only 17.
a) Walter Raleigh
b ) Harrison Keats
c) Edmund Godwin
d) Thomas Chatterton

9. This gonzo journalist wrote "The Rum Diaries" and "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas." He shot himself in the head in 2005. Several months later, his ashes were fired from a cannon while Dylan's "Mr. Tambourine Man" played.
a) Charles Bukowski
b ) P.J. O'Rourke
c) Hunter S. Thompson
d) Johnny Depp

10. This British novelist, author of "Mrs. Dalloway" and "To the Lighthouse," drowned herself in a river in 1941.
a) Jane Austen
b ) Anne Bronte
c) Virginia Woolf
d) Mary Shelley

Just in case you want to answer those yourself, I've included the answers in the box below.

Spoiler! --Click here to view--
1. This well-traveled Hungarian revealed his disenchantment with Communism in the 1940 novel "Darkness at Noon." Long suffering from leukemia and Parkinson's, he took a drug overdose in 1983.
a) Arthur Koestler

Koestler was politically active throughout his life, embracing at different times Communism, anti-Communism, anti-Nazism, Zionism and euthanasia. A few years prior to his death he became the Vice-President of a voluntary euthanasia advocacy society in England. His suicide was committed jointly with his third wife, Cynthia.

2) This American poet composed "Lady Lazarus", in which she recounts previous suicide attempts:
"I am only thirty.
And like the cat I have nine times to die.
This is number three."
In 1963, she fatally gassed herself.
b ) Sylvia Plath

Plath was married to another celebrated poet, Ted Hughes. Their relationship was dramatized in the 2003 film "Sylvia," starring Daniel Craig and Gwyneth Paltrow.

3. This celebrated American novelist and short-story writer penned "Hills Like White Elephants" and "A Clean, Well-Lighted Place." He shot himself in the head in 1961.
c) Ernest Hemingway

Several other Hemingways committed suicide, including Ernest's father, two siblings, and his granddaughter.

4. This British playwright, author of "Crave" and "Blasted," initially faced critical condemnation for the extreme violence common in her plays. She hanged herself in 1999.
b ) Sarah Kane

Kane wrote "Crave" under the pseudonym Marie Kelvedon, to ensure critics would evaluate the play on its own merits, rather than Kane's reputation. Today she is widely acclaimed.

5. This American poet, who battled depression throughout her life, wrote "Wanting to Die" and "The Truth the Dead Know." In 1974, she died of carbon monoxide poisoning in her garage.
a) Anne Sexton

Sexton chose to take up poetry based on a suggestion by her therapist. She was friends with Sylvia Plath, after attending a workshop with her.

6. This prolific American writer is best known for "Call of the Wild." His death in 1916 has sometimes been rumoured a suicide by morphine overdose, though this is by no means proven. His official cause of death was uremia.
d) Jack London

London led a varied and colourful life, and spent a month in jail for vagrancy in 1894. He worked as a sailor, at a cannery, and as an oyster pirate, and caught scurvy during the Klondike Gold Rush.

7. This Auschwitz survivor, born in Italy, wrote of his experiences in "If This is a Man." He died after falling several stories from his apartment landing in 1987; most conclude that this was a deliberate suicide rather than accident.
b ) Primo Levi

According to the Levi Wikipedia entry, " [magician] David Blaine has Primo Levi's concentration camp number, 174517, from Auschwitz tattooed on his left forearm."

8. This British Romantic poet is widely believed to have composed "The Rowley Poems" (which at the time of publication had purportedly been written by one Thomas Rowley in the 15th century). He ingested arsenic in his attic in 1770, and died penniless at only 17.
d) Thomas Chatterton

Chatterton's fame increased after his death, when his contributions were recognized by such greats as Coleridge, Wordsworth and Keats.

9. This gonzo journalist wrote "The Rum Diaries" and "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas." He shot himself in the head in 2005. Several months later, his ashes were fired from a cannon while Dylan's "Mr. Tambourine Man" played.
c) Hunter S. Thompson

Thompson narrowly lost the race for sheriff of Pitkin County, Colorado in 1970. His platform included drug decriminalization, and renaming Aspen "Fat City."

10. This British novelist, author of "Mrs. Dalloway" and "To the Lighthouse," drowned herself in a river in 1941.
c) Virginia Woolf

Woolf reportedly had an enduring lesbian affair with writer Vita Sackville-West. (ROWL!!!)

The results!

Richcelt 100%
Dave Dark 70%
Kung Fu Jawa 70%

So Richelt wins the second prize! Congrats go to you, Richcelt! Dave and Kung, good scores as well.

Fun contest guys! It was competitive once again and there was great participation. The Poetry Challenge is next. That includes any form or style, so you might want to brush up on your "there once was a PIEboy from nantucket..."

Dave Dark

Dave Dark

stands erected

• Members
  • 2,962 posts
man, that no-Google rule was ******* killer. I lucked out on a handful of those with educated guesses... although I don't know what possessed me to think that Anne Sexton wasn't alive in the 20th century.

Kung Fu Jawa

Kung Fu Jawa

Cotton-Headed Ninny Muggins

• Members
  • 15,241 posts
No thong for me. :(
I was going to post pictures and everything.

Richcelt

Richcelt

Musician, Historian, and Stalker Extraordinaire

• Members
  • 8,375 posts
:eek: Well, I'm floored. I always have been a good test taker. I seriously didn't know a few of these people and got most of them through process of elimination, and a couple of wild guesses. I've read things from a few of them, those I did know, and didn't care for any of them. So, yeah. I sit here shocked.

This has been an interesting experience for me. The fact that I was so obviously stumped as to who wrote what (and I appologize to one and all) highlights what an awful reader I am. I'll have to get better about that. I did however enjoy reading the entries, and personally would be interested in reading more of some of the bits that were posted for this (with your names attached so I can give props where its due, because I obviously wouldn't be able to tell otherwise). So, I'll stop rambling, say thanks to everyone, and congrats to Copper. Also, as I will not be participating in the poetry contest (not my thing, really), good luck to those who do.

Reply to this topic