Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What's on your Pull List?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
141 replies to this topic

NumberSix

NumberSix

Content Provider Emeritus

• 29,745 posts
It does, but they still rely on the monthlies as an initial loss-leader in order to keep paying the creative talents in monthly installments while they work. Vertigo has been dabbling more and more in direct-to-trade projects -- today I kinda like that term better than "Original Graphic Novel" because it's more demeaning to the concept! :D -- but most writers and artists can't afford to generate a full 100-200 pages of material upfront before getting paid, which a total direct-to-trade business paradigm would require.

lovecraftian

lovecraftian

Uatu the Watcher's Intern

• Members
  • 1,511 posts
Ch-ch-changes... or ADDS & CUTS, rather:

CUTS
The Flash: It's done, and it was nice, but not much else. Alan Burnett wasn't a bad choice, but I guess Geoff Johns wasn't available to put Wally to sleep.
Phonogram: The Singles Club: I reread it. It's not bad... quite informative. The art's nice. But ultimately, I've got to admit... I just don't care for it all that much.

ADDS
Teen Titans: I've always liked the team, and issue 66 marks the beginning of a recruitment drive arc that will add Static and Kid Eternity to the team. Unfortunately, Robin had to leave due to the aftermath of "Batman R.I.P." I really like this Red Devil/Blue Beetle buddy comedy vibe they've got going, though. I'll stick around... for awhile.
Batman: Cacophony: What can I say? I'm a Kevin Smith fan (sorry, Tank. :lol: ). That, and this Flanagan guy's art is cartoony, but just the right amount of cartoony for my taste.

MARVEL-RELATED CANCELLATION NOTE
Astonishing X-Men, Cable, Invincible Iron Man, Ultimate Spider-Man: They're all subscriptions I snagged a while back as gifts and whatnot. They're all sorta neat. Ultimately (pun NOT intended), I've sort of got Marvel event-fatigue.

Matt Fraction does great stuff for Tony Stark; the characterization is truly superb.

I've gotta say the same for Warren Ellis and his X-team writing.

Duane Swierczynski does a sort of post-apocalyptic Lone Wolf and Cub thing which is nice, and BMB could always bring it home with everyone's favorite wall-crawler.

However, with the impending threats of "Dark Reign" and "Ultimatum" and "Messiah War" to butt their heads into these titles just doesn't thrill me. Say what you want about DC's crossovers, but none of these upcoming ones from Marvel really thrill me. So, once the subscriptions wear out, I don't think I'm coming back to any of these titles.

I could be wrong, but I'm just not feeling it from Marvel right now, and that kinda saddens me, since I was 90% Marvelized in middle school. All I would read was Amazing Spider-Man, Ultimates, Ultimate X-Men, and Green Arrow. Not so much anymore. I guess "Brand New Day" was kinda the beginning of the end of Marvel for me... at least for the foreseeable future. Sad day.

lovecraftian

lovecraftian

• Members
  • 1,511 posts
PULL LIST
DC: Batman, Batman: Cacophony, Detective Comics, Jonah Hex, Justice League of America, Justice Society of America, R.E.B.E.L.S., Supergirl, Teen Titans
Marvel: Astonishing Tales, Captain Britain and the MI 13, Invincible Iron Man
Image: Casanova, Fell, Invincible
Dark Horse: The End League, Gigantic

NOTES
Batman: Cacophony ends this month, and Batman and Detective Comics will soon be on hiatus to make way for the three-part Batman: Battle for the Cowl, which I will be picking up.

R.E.B.E.L.S. is Tony Bedard and Andy Clarke's new sci-fi/action book featuring Brainiac 2, a.k.a. Vril Dox, former leader and main character of the 80s book, L.E.G.I.O.N.. He's a real bastard. The art's great, and Bedard's got a good ear for dialogue, as well as an easily detectable love for these characters.

Captain Britain and the MI 13 is a pretty all-around awesome book. It's got a strong, dedicated following, and revolves around the British heroes of the Marvel Universe, and their frequently magical adventures. The most recent arc has to do with Dracula and an army of vampires from the moon starting some **** with the MI 13. It's pretty funky fresh.

NumberSix

NumberSix

• 29,745 posts
State of the NumberSix Collecting Union as of 2009:

Marvel, ongoing:

Amazing Spider-Man
Captain Britain & MI-13
Deadpool
Invincible Iron Man
Mighty Avengers
Secret Warriors
Thunderbolts

DC, ongoing:

Justice League of America
R.E.B.E.L.S.
Secret Six

Other companies and imprints, ongoing:

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 8
Ex Machina
Glamourpuss
Hellblazer
Invincible
Top 10: Season Two
Unknown Soldier

Miniseries:

Ambush Bug: Year None
Batman: Cacophony
Final Crisis: Legion of Three Worlds
George R. R. Martin's Wild Cards: the Hard Call
Haunted Tank
Special Forces

...and I must ask myself now, DUDE, WHERE'S MY LIST? This is the shortest list I've had since the dark, dark days of early 1994.

On the Marvel side: since Dan Slott has moved from Avengers: the Initiative to Mighty Avengers, so have I. I shocked myself by giving up on Warren Ellis' Astonishing X-Men, but frankly, the thing is so butt-ugly that I haven't even been trying to retain the plot of previous issues. I'm pleased to be adding Secret Warriors for now, at least.

But DC...oh, DC. What happened to us? I didn't realize till just now that our love has undergone some massive attrition. I had no idea things between us were this bad. The current Brave and the Bold arc made me nod off; Legion is history; Blue Beetle takes its final bow in stores this week; Batman and Detective are on hiatus after Neil Gaiman's two-parter wraps up; Mark Evanier and Sergio Aragones are off of The Spirit (though I may check out Dean Motter's upcoming work later this spring); and James Robinson's Superman just wasn't my cup of tea. And that leaves me with next to nothing, even after adding a trial run for Tony Bedard's new Legion spinoff revamp R.E.B.E.L.S. Maybe it's not too late to crawl back to Booster Gold and beg for forgiveness.

The "other companies" category isn't looking too promising, either. Ex Machina remains on a hobbled schedule, Top 10 seems to be running behind at the moment, and Invincible is on probation right now, depending on what happens next in #60. If I give up on that, I'm left with just Buffy and Dave Sim's Glamourpuss representing regularly for not-Marvel/DC, though I've been tickled blood-red to return to Hellblazer now that Peter Milligan is at the helm.

Miniseries seem to be dying far and wide across company lines for me. Beyond those that finished their runs in recent months...Ambush Bug seems to have seized up right before the finish line; Legion of Three Worlds is probably giving George Perez the same kind of horrible eye condition that once bottlenecked John Totleben's output; as of December 2008 Kyle Baker was still working on Special Forces #4, with no recent updates; Warren Ellis has already admitted that his old computer ate newuniversal: shockfront; and the Dabel Bros. haven't put out an issue of Wild Cards since LAST SUMMER. I'm definitely on board for The Flash: Rebirth, so there's that eventually.

(I've dropped the Fell/Nexus/Planetary blue-moon category. If they ever publish again, great. But I'm tired of listing them in vain.)

It's not helping that so many 32-page comics are at price points above my personal three-dollar line in the sand -- IDW, Dynamite, most new Image titles, and even Marvel's new miniseries standard are out of reach as far as I'm concerned. I expect it won't be long before the rest follow suit.

Hey, trades and OGNs? Are you ready for me? 'Cause I think my money is comin' for ya real soon! I'm still missing many Marvel Essentials...

the skiff guard

the skiff guard

Cubits?

• Members
  • 9,477 posts
Curent Pull List For Wed Feb 25

Detective Comics #853
New Avengers #50
Green Lantern #39
Superman #685
X-Men Spider-Man #4

lovecraftian

lovecraftian

• Members
  • 1,511 posts
I might be trying out Dynamo 5. Maybe. Thinking about it.

I don't know why I'm still listing Casanova or Fell anymore. Then again, Matt Fraction has publicly stated that Casanova will be coming back in a different format, evidently. We'll have to see what happens. But, Six, you've inspired me. I'm knocking those two cats off my pull list until further notice. No point in them wasting valuable EYE SPACE.

I'm still fairly kinda-sorta into Rick Remender's Gigantic. According to comiclist.com, it's a 5-issue miniseries. Up to this point, I'd thought it was an ongoing. Guess not. I'll stay aboard for issue 3, which comes out tomorrow, and then I'll have to see what happens afterwards.

DEAN MOTTER ON THE SPIRIT?! THAT'S A DREAM COME TRUE FOR ME!

NumberSix

NumberSix

• 29,745 posts
This caught my eye in DC's May solicitations:

THE SPIRIT #29
Written by Dean Motter
Art and cover by Paul Rivoche
The Spirit’s on needles and pins! What Ellen Dolan wants, she gets. And today, she wants a tattoo! But little does The Spirit know that Ellen’s innocent act of rebellion will get him mixed up in the feud between a grizzled veteran tattooist and his new-wave artiste hipster rival! This one’s gonna leave a mark! Features the return of the Mr. X team of Motter and Rivoche!
On sale May 20 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US

:hail:

lovecraftian

lovecraftian

• Members
  • 1,511 posts
Needless to say... I'm pretty pumped. Terminal City and Terminal City: Aerial Graffiti are still my measuring sticks with which I evaluate any and all other sci-fi or noir comics. It's a shame that Michael Lark won't be joining him to work on The Spirit.

Ohhhhhhh wait. Michael Lark got fed up drawing his own style and decided to just rip off Alex Maleev. Oh goody. :rolleyes:

lovecraftian

lovecraftian

• Members
  • 1,511 posts
Jesus H. Christ... I'm ridiculously OCD about **** like this. Here we go again

DC
Batman: Battle for the Cowl
Detective Comics
Jonah Hex
Justice League of America
Justice Society of America
R.E.B.E.L.S.
Supergirl
Teen Titans

MARVEL
Astonishing Tales
Captain Britain and the MI13
Ghost Rider
Invincible Iron Man
Secret Warriors

Dynamo 5
Invincible

DARK HORSE
The Amazon

Justice League of America is going on notice, to borrow a Stephen Colbert buzz-phrase, because the recent art of recent arcs (sounds strange... art-arcs... huh.) has been bugging me. That, and the recent story itself felt kind of lackluster. I was excited to see the Milestone characters, but not much was being done with them. The next issue (#31) deals with the aftermath of Final Crisis, and will probably be a good barometer of where the series is headed.

I'm 90% sure I will be dropping Teen Titans because it wil be rising to a $3.99 price tag due to the addition of a consistent back-up feature dealing with the exploits of "Ravager," Deathstroke's EXTREME teenaged daughter. I never much cared for her, and short of a pants-wettingly awesome writer picking up the series after McKeever leaves (he's gone after #71), it's going bye-bye.

I'm pretty excited about the Willingham-Sturges team taking over Justice Society of America in the coming months. The "Origins and Omens" back-up story they did with Pasarin on the art was quite nice, and if it was any indicator of the quality of their run, I'll more than likely be in it for the long haul.

Marvel's really winning me back. I LOVE anthology series, so Astonishing Tales is an obvious "YES, PLEASE" on my list.

I bought #0 and #20 of Dynamo 5 and found them both entertaining. With a $3.50 price tag, however, the next few issues damn well be just as entertaining, or out this book goes. Which is a shame, really, as I very much enjoy team books.

Depending on what happens in coming months and what gets dropped (i.e. Teen Titans, Justice League of America, Dynamo 5, etc.), I may check out Avengers: The Initiative, and--if the opening storyline is at all interesting--DC's new incarnation of Adventure Comics.

I don't know if anyone's heard about it, but Keith Giffen's going to be starting a new Doom Patrol series, with a constant 10-page Metal Men back-up feature. I don't care if that ****'s $3.99. I'm definitely getting on board with it. :lol:

NumberSix

NumberSix

• 29,745 posts

Needless to say... I'm pretty pumped. Terminal City and Terminal City: Aerial Graffiti are still my measuring sticks with which I evaluate any and all other sci-fi or noir comics.

Did you catch last week's Comic Shop News? It was filled with Dean Motter-y goodness. They devoted a two-page cover article to his upcoming new Dark Horse series Mister X: Condemned, which he's writing and drawing.

He's also working on writing a Dominic Fortune serial for Marvel's next anthology series, Tales to Astonish, with artist Greg Scott.

That's right -- another of those anthologies you love! With Motter in it, too! Obviously Marvel is planning ahead for your next birthday.

lovecraftian

lovecraftian

• Members
  • 1,511 posts
Still OCD about this ****. Good lord.

Detective Comics
Jonah Hex
R.E.B.E.L.S.
Supergirl
The Warlord

Astonishing Tales
Astonishing X-Men
Cable
Invincible Iron Man
Secret Warriors

Casanova
Fell
Invincible

The Amazon

Batman: Battle for the Cowl is just kind of a necessity for Bat-fans. If you're not a die-hard, don't bother. It's not that great. Detective Comics' next issue will be written by Neil Gaiman and drawn by Andy Kubert. The next 14 issues feature Batwoman (with a back-up about The Question), scripts by Greg Rucka, and art by JH Williams III. DUH. Utter brilliance.

Jonah Hex deserves its own paragraph. YOU ALL SHOULD BE READING THIS BOOK. Consistently fantastic. 99% of the stories are done-in-ones. What's not to like?! READ IT!!

Justice Society of America is gonna get a try from me because I like the characters and want to see what direction the new writing team of Willingham and Sturges take it. R.E.B.E.L.S. is a great sci-fi book. I'm intrigued by the new direction that Supergirl is being taken in as well; Sterling Gates is really proving himself to be a hot new talent and Jamal Igle draws her realistically... not like some Lindsay Lohan lookin' freakazoid. The Warlord is pretty neat too. I was always fascinated by the character, and I'm doing my best to support DC's genre books (read: non-superhero themed ones), so I'm down for this one; a lil' sword-and-sorcery's always fine by me.

Astonishing Tales. Anthology book. With an arc by Jonathan Hickman and the astoundingly-inventive Nick Pittara, no less. SOLD.

Astonishing X-Men. It's Warren Ellis and Simone Bianchi on an X-Men book that doesn't deal with extenuating Dark Reign stuff. I'm down.

I'm kind of reading Cable out of habit now. I'm half-heartedly interested in the whole "Messiah War" thing. I really enjoy Ariel Olivetti's art, and Swierczynski (I will learn to spell the man's name from memory if it kills me) writes a really good Deadpool, who is involved in the crossover. I'm a terrible completist, I won't lie. That's kind of keeping me on this book.

Invincible Iron Man is a sign of greatness. Matt Fraction made me care about Tony Stark. I was rabidly anti-Tony for a good long while, and picked up the first two issues out of curiosity, and man oh man... Fraction was born to write this guy. And I was surprised to find out that Fraction actually can rival Ellis in the sci-tech wankery area when he really wants to. That, and the viral marketing aspect of the book is genius. I sincerely hope it continues.

Secret Warriors has me interested, as it's Jonathan Hickman and Stefano Casseli doing a sci-spy deal that takes place in the context of the Dark Reign universe. Again... SOLD.

Both Casanova and Fell are obviously blue-moon books, but I've got to list them. I... I believe in the Slimline format.

Invincible got me back into comics. There's no way--barring a gross act of a malevolent deity--I'll be leaving this book.

The Amazon is a pretty neat miniseries. Originally printed a long time ago by Comico, it's nice to see some classic, pre-paint Tim Sale art. Recolored and lettered, as well.

He's also working on writing a Dominic Fortune serial for Marvel's next anthology series, Tales to Astonish, with artist Greg Scott.

That's right -- another of those anthologies you love! With Motter in it, too! Obviously Marvel is planning ahead for your next birthday.

Yes they are. And thank you for noticing. :lol: Tales to Astonish and Astonishing Tales? They couldn't think up another, more varied title? Ah well, I won't complain. I love me some anthology series. I wonder what the build-up of this book is gonna be.

NumberSix

NumberSix

• 29,745 posts

Tales to Astonish and Astonishing Tales? They couldn't think up another, more varied title?

My guess is they're recycling all their old anthology titles for copyright preservation purposes. I won't be surprised if we see more (temporary) revivals like Amazing Adventures, Marvel Tales, Bizarre Adventures, Journey into Mystery, Savage Tales, or Strange Tales (for, like, the 75th time).

You can even see DC doing it in recent years with Mystery in Space, House of Mystery, House of Secrets, Strange Adventures, Adventure Comics, Tales of the Unexpected...

lovecraftian

lovecraftian

• Members
  • 1,511 posts
Yeah... I just don't get why they didn't pick a more... different title from the various ones they had to choose from. Journey into Mystery? SOLD. :lol:

NumberSix

NumberSix

• 29,745 posts
In case anyone thinks I'm kidding, this week's shipping list includes the return of Marvel Triple Action! Back in the '80s it was just an Avengers reprint title; this time around, random Marvel Adventures reprints.

Reduce, reuse, recycle!

NumberSix

NumberSix

• 29,745 posts
Updated list:

Marvel, ongoing:

Amazing Spider-Man
Captain Britain & MI-13
Deadpool
Invincible Iron Man
Secret Warriors
Thunderbolts

DC, ongoing:

Booster Gold
R.E.B.E.L.S.
Secret Six

Other companies and imprints, ongoing:

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 8
Ex Machina
Glamourpuss
Hellblazer
Unknown Soldier

Miniseries:

Ambush Bug: Year None (STILL waiting for #6! :angry: )
Dark Reign: Fantastic Four
Final Crisis: Legion of Three Worlds
The Flash: Rebirth
The Muppet Show
Ultimate Wolverine vs. Hulk

Looking even more pitiful now. My last two weeks have been so anemic that I was able to pick up a trade a week and still stay within budget. Now on my reading pile as a result: Hellblazer Presents Chas: the Knowledge and Jonathan Hickman's Transhuman.

Dropped: Mighty Avengers, which just felt too generic; JLA, unless Dwayne McDuffie is returning full-time anytime soon; a couple of now-completed miniseries; Wild Cards, which I assume is dead since CBR reports that George R. R. Martin has severed ties with Dabel Bros; and, with some reluctance, I think I'm also bowing out of Invincible at long last. #60's army of nameless faces and disjointed narrative pretty much nailed and amplified every single weakness about the series to date, and I'm tired of forgiving them.

Notable adds: Booster Gold, which IMHO has improved a little, even though Dan Jurgens is far from my favorite writer, and even though I totally missed #17. Also, Roger Langridge's Muppet Show miniseries for BOOM! Studios is sweet, giggly nostalgia.

On the bubble: R.E.B.E.L.S. (someone else besides Brainy needs to grow a backbone, and soon) and Secret Warriors (would the main characters please stand up? Please?).

lovecraftian

lovecraftian

• Members
  • 1,511 posts
PULLS:

Detective Comics
Jonah Hex
R.E.B.E.L.S.
Supergirl
The Warlord

Astonishing Tales
Astonishing X-Men
Invincible Iron Man

Casanova
Fell
Invincible

The Amazon

TRADE-WAITING:

Ex Machina
Northlanders
Planetary
(I know, right?!)

I just took out Cable and Secret Warriors because I was only kowtowing to the titles due to my nasty completist streak, which I'm trying so hard to combat. Didn't have much honest interest in the direction of Cable, and this "Messiah War" crossover sure isn't helping things.

Secret Warriors ultimately just kinda tired me out. I liked the characters and art, but seeing Hickman color inside someone else's lines really just doesn't get my juices flowing.

I'm probably going to be taking a look at Warren Ellis' Ignition City, as the first two issues came out in one month, which is mind-bogglingly organized for an Ellis Avatar title. Will I end up dejected and disappointed, probably. Might as well give it a look. :shrug: I doubt this could disappoint me as much as No Hero did. Every issue of that mini seems to end with just horrible disgusting piles of viscera falling out of the main character. I figured he would've died already.

I'm also gonna take a peek at this new Image series called Viking. The art looks neat, and it's described as "a crime book for the 9th Century." Now, I doubt this will match the brilliance of Brian C. Wood's Northlanders, but it's $2.99 and the art's pretty, so it merits a checking out, at least.

...and, with some reluctance, I think I'm also bowing out of Invincible at long last. #60's army of nameless faces and disjointed narrative pretty much nailed and amplified every single weakness about the series to date, and I'm tired of forgiving them.

Six, I don't know if this might get you back on the Invincible wagon, but I thought it might interest/appeal to you, so there you go.

Be seeing you. [salutes]

NumberSix

NumberSix

• 29,745 posts

This caught my eye in DC's May solicitations:

THE SPIRIT #29
Written by Dean Motter
Art and cover by Paul Rivoche
The Spirit’s on needles and pins! What Ellen Dolan wants, she gets. And today, she wants a tattoo! But little does The Spirit know that Ellen’s innocent act of rebellion will get him mixed up in the feud between a grizzled veteran tattooist and his new-wave artiste hipster rival! This one’s gonna leave a mark! Features the return of the Mr. X team of Motter and Rivoche!
On sale May 20 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US

:hail:

#29 is now in stores. Whimsical tale of dedication, pride in your work, betrayal, murder, and tattoos. It's the first issue in a long time that felt like Eisner in terms of tone and character moments, instead of just generic crimefighter stuff. Paul Rivoche's art reminds me in a good way of the latter-day undergrounds of the 1980s.