Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What's on your Pull List?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
141 replies to this topic

Tank

Tank

Driver

• 34,503 posts
I am also getting everything on you hiatus list... along with Ultimate Human and Ultimate Iron Man 2... and I forgot about The Boys! I love that book.

lovecraftian

lovecraftian

Uatu the Watcher's Intern

• Members
  • 1,511 posts
I am literally ONE ****ING ISSUE away from having collected all of Invincible up to this point. Just so y'all know.

Anyhow... Can anyone tell me what "The Boys" is about, exactly?

Tank

Tank

Driver

• 34,503 posts
The Boys is by Garth Ennis (Preacher, Punisher) and Darick Robertson (Transmetropolitian) of the old school awesome Vertigo days. On the surface it is about a small crew of CIA funded bad-asses that serve as a secret police that keep the world's superheroes in line.

What it really is though, is a commentary on politics and power structures as pretty much every superhero in this universe is corrupt and most likely has some sort of sick fetish or vice; (ass-hamsters, hooker humping, and side-kick defiling are just a few we've seen thus far). It's got a very dark sense of humor, and is generally super filthy and leaves you wanting to vote and take a shower.

highly recommended!!!

lovecraftian

lovecraftian

• Members
  • 1,511 posts

The Boys is by Garth Ennis (Preacher, Punisher) and Darick Robertson (Transmetropolitian) of the old school awesome Vertigo days. On the surface it is about a small crew of CIA funded bad-asses that serve as a secret police that keep the world's superheroes in line.

What it really is though, is a commentary on politics and power structures as pretty much every superhero in this universe is corrupt and most likely has some sort of sick fetish or vice; (ass-hamsters, hooker humping, and side-kick defiling are just a few we've seen thus far). It's got a very dark sense of humor, and is generally super filthy and leaves you wanting to vote and take a shower.

highly recommended!!!

Hmm... :rock:

Sounds intriguing. Thank you, Monseiur Tank. Would anyone happen to know if there are any trades of "The Boys" available yet?

NumberSix

NumberSix

Content Provider Emeritus

• 29,746 posts
Volume 1, The Name of the Game, is in stores now. I can't seem to verify if Volume 2 is scheduled yet.

I am literally ONE ****ING ISSUE away from having collected all of Invincible up to this point. Just so y'all know.

I'm only missing #5. The back issue prices are too high and I refuse to buy the second trade or the hardcover just for that one issue.

I'm also skipping the Atom Eve miniseries because that's a non-Kirkman side project and therefore doesn't count.

lovecraftian

lovecraftian

• Members
  • 1,511 posts

I'm only missing #5. The back issue prices are too high and I refuse to buy the second trade or the hardcover just for that one issue.

I'm also skipping the Atom Eve miniseries because that's a non-Kirkman side project and therefore doesn't count.

Yeah, I feel your pain. As for the Atom Eve mini-series, I was debating with myself, but I finally didn't buy it because the art inside looks like a hybrid of Ryan Ottley and Jeff Smith... It just didn't work for me. That, and Kirkman's not writing it.

What's driving me nucking futs is the fact that Kirkman's building up all this hype for issue fifty, and has yet to release issues 48 and/or 49. C'mon, man! I realize that, at Image, the only way you can have an editorial staff is to hire one... so c'mon Kirkman!

Boba Sweat

Boba Sweat

Get These Hummed

• 10,501 posts
well so far in my step into comics i've managed
ultimate x-men hardcovers 1-7
ultimate FF hardcovers 1-3

UFF4 arrives next week, and going to go for the ultimates HC as well

dying to start ultimate spidey, but i cant find the HC version of volume one. and given everything else is hard cover, i dont want to spoil the collection by going for the paperback one

and i've decided the big harcovers are the way forward. if nothing else they just look much better. plus they cost a fraction of buying all the books seperate

Domo-Kun

Domo-Kun

Gravemaker and Gunslinger

• Members
  • 3,443 posts
I'm prolly the biggest loser in this thread. I haven't been keeping up with my favorites for YEARS. Sooo It's gonna be a big list. Right now I'm catching up on Spawn.Gonna be shopping Ebay for

Spawn
50-173

1-52

Also Looking for new series to check out. So I'm up for suggestions.

Dom

Dom

Proper Rogue

• Members
  • 5,394 posts
Atomic Robo is pretty good. There's only a couple issues left, though, so it might be better to wait for the trade.

Tank

Tank

Driver

• 34,503 posts
Atomic Robo is GREAT!

I almost did a submission to Image comics with the artist, but he had to ditch me to do robo-- no hard feelings cause it is a cool book. Red 5 Comics is a new indy imprint, but thus far their roster is pretty decent.

lovecraftian

lovecraftian

• Members
  • 1,511 posts

I'm prolly the biggest loser in this thread. I haven't been keeping up with my favorites for YEARS. Sooo It's gonna be a big list. Right now I'm catching up on Spawn.Gonna be shopping Ebay for

Spawn
50-173

1-52

Also Looking for new series to check out. So I'm up for suggestions.

Don't feel like a loser. In regards to pull lists and comic book collections, as Yoda once said "Size matters not."

I'm not so sure about the Spawn situation, but now you can buy just four paperback volumes and you'll have the whole of 52! I'm doing that quite soon, just because I enjoyed 52, but didn't manage to keep up with it all the way through. I'm not so sure about Countdown, since it's almost over, but if you really enjoyed 52, I suppose you might want to check it out once it hits the stands as a series of TPBs.

In regards to new series:

You really, really, really ought to check out Robert Kirkman's "INVINCIBLE." I cannot stress this enough. It's a fantastic series with well-written dialogue, creative characters, and EXCELLENT art. The most beautiful part is, you don't have to read the entire series to catch up! Just start from issue 42 and make your way to the current issue (#47) and you'll be completely caught up, because issue 42 recaps the entire series up to that point on its last six pages. I will admit, expository writing is not one of Kirkman's strong points, but the series is just freaking fantastic. TRUST.

I would also recommend, much to the understandable chagrin of some of my fellow boardmates, the current (THRICE MONTHLY!) "AMAZING SPIDER-MAN" series. Start with issue 546, and read the final two pages entitled "The New Status Quo." While continuity buffs like Six and myself feel guilty for reading it, I've got to admit, the current set-up is quite compelling.

Finally, if you're in the mood for a more offbeat tale, check out Marvel's "OMEGA: THE UNKNOWN." It's a ten issue limited series from Marvel Comics. The first four issues are available and I cannot stress how unique this series is, from its art to its story concepts to its character designs to... just about everything else.

Good luck and happy hunting, Domo-Kun!

Domo-Kun

Domo-Kun

• Members
  • 3,443 posts
I've never been a Marvel kinda guy. But I'll check out all of your suggestions.

I forgot to mention that I'm looking for 2 of the spin offs of Spawn. Sam and Twitch and Violator

Edited by Domo-Kun, 19 January 2008 - 01:37 PM.

Dom

Dom

Proper Rogue

• Members
  • 5,394 posts

Skip Amazing Spider-Man and pick up Ultimate Spider-Man.

lovecraftian

lovecraftian

• Members
  • 1,511 posts

I forgot to mention that I'm looking for 2 of the spin offs of Spawn. Sam and Twitch and Violator

:eek:

They gave Violator his own series? Jesus.

Domo-Kun

Domo-Kun

• Members
  • 3,443 posts
it was short lived

lovecraftian

lovecraftian

• Members
  • 1,511 posts

it was short lived

I wouldn't doubt it, especially since Spawn killed God, the Devil, tree-people, and is now the undisputed master of the universe or something, right?

I really lost track of that series. :eek:

Domo-Kun

Domo-Kun

• Members
  • 3,443 posts
I have too that's why I'm playing catch up. I know it's started exploring Al Simmon's family history (apparently his great grandfather was a hellspawn), he's also done like 4 or 5 re-imaginings of the story. With spin offs for Violator, Sam & Twitch(23 issues of awesome) and even the Youngbloods. I just finished issue 22 of SPAWN. (Started from the beginning) And I kinda wish the Anti-Spawn would of gotten a spin off.

Edit
upon looking Violator got a 3 Issue Special and a 1 Issue special.

Edited by Domo-Kun, 19 January 2008 - 09:42 PM.

lovecraftian

lovecraftian

• Members
  • 1,511 posts

I have too that's why I'm playing catch up. I know it's started exploring Al Simmon's family history (apparently his great grandfather was a hellspawn), he's also done like 4 or 5 re-imaginings of the story.

Huh. I didn't know that being a hellspawn was hereditary. The last time I checked into Spawn was #123, when Jason Wynn was naked and crazy, and Al Simmons was resurrected and hanging out with some goth chick called Nix, who tried to kill him after screwing him or something.

Domo-Kun

Domo-Kun

• Members
  • 3,443 posts
I've put Spawn down actually reading Sam and Twitch right now.

lovecraftian

lovecraftian

• Members
  • 1,511 posts
This is what my pull list currently looks like:

DC: Action Comics, JSA, All-Star Superman
Marvel: Omega the Unknown
Image: Invincible, The Walking Dead

Today, in addition to Action Comics #861, I picked up Ultimate Spider-Man #118, along with The Twelve #0 and #1.

I'm alright with Bendis' writing, and I dig on Stuart Immonen a lot. He's one of the major talents in the field today. Currently Bendis is piloting the "ultimized" version of Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends, which started out okay. It was a fun concept, but something about the Ultimate Universe doesn't sit well with me, and I can't put my finger on it.

As for "The Twelve," I think (and hope) that this may be the next Watchmen. J. Michael Straczynski is using this opportunity to make up for his sins during his later run on Amazing Spider-Man, and Chris Weston is a fantastic artist. So, I'm thinking of adding this to my monthly roster.

Any opinions on this? Am I missing something?

lovecraftian

lovecraftian

• Members
  • 1,511 posts
DOUBLE POST! :eek:

My pull list just got crazier.

Pull List
DC: Action Comics, JSA
Marvel: Omega the Unknown, The Twelve
Image: Invincible, The Walking Dead
IDW Publishing: Doctor Who Classics
Platinum Studios: Hero by Night
Th3rd World Studios: Space Doubles

Yes, 9 titles is staggering... for a college student w/ a meagre salary; however, the more keen-eyed members of our board will notice that 5 of these titles are regularly late... sporadic... at best. Therefore, I survive.

I recently added Hero by Night, Space Doubles, and Doctor Who Classics to my list, and I've got to heartily recommend them all.

Hero by Night actually has a good deal of continuity established behind it already. Just go check out its website.

Space Doubles is another interesting deal that just started; it's 3 sci-fi/horror stories in one, every month. The creators are different every month as well, from what I understand. Well, one of them, who does a one-page strip, remains consistent, but the other 2 change frequently. Go pick up issue one and give it a read; it's good ol' sci-fi horror.

Finally, who could not love Doctor Who Classics? It's Doctor FRIGGIN' Who! That, and it's been illustrated by David Gibbons of Watchmen fame. I'm not going to lie; I'm relatively new to Doctor Who fandom, but these sci-fi adventure tales are quite enjoyable if I do say so myself.

Edited by lovecraftian, 20 February 2008 - 11:44 PM.

Affinity

Affinity

• Validating
  • 106 posts
Well, I've started hacking away at my pull list, and plan on getting it down even further as to save $$. Current on the list:

DC:
Action Comics (*Dropping with next issue, at the end of this arc!)
All-Star Batman & Robin
All-Star Superman
Batman
Batman & The Outsiders
Batman Confidential (*Considering dropping this...)
Blue Beetle
Booster Gold
Brave & The Bold (*Considering dropping this...)
Checkmate
Countdown
Countdown to Adventure
Countdown to Mystery
Detective Comics
Green Arrow & Black Canary
Green Lantern
Green Lantern Corps.
Justice League of America
Justice Society of America
Nightwing
Robin
The Spirit
Superman (*Dropping after this arc!)
Teen Titians
Teen Titans: Year One
Trials of Shazam
Wonder Woman (*Dropping after current arc)

Marvel:
Amazing Spider-Man
Annihilation: Conquest
Astonishing X-Men (*Dropping most likely)
Avengers: The Initiative
The Immortal Iron Fist
The Mighty Avengers
Moon Knight
The New Avengers
New Warriors (*Dropping after current arc)
New X-Men (*Dropping next issue)
Nova
The Order
Thor
Uncanny X-Men
Wolverine
Wolverine Origins
X-Factor
X-Men (*Dropping next issue)

Other:
Buffy
Gargoyles
Gargoyles: Bad Guys

Axis

Axis

a complete unknown

• Members
  • 7,472 posts
just getting back on the monthly train now that i work down the street from forbidden planet in NYC:

buffy season 8
invincible
ex machina
walking dead
jonah hex
teen titans year one
astonishing x-men
fear agent
all-star superman

lovecraftian

lovecraftian

• Members
  • 1,511 posts

just getting back on the monthly train now that i work down the street from forbidden planet in NYC:

buffy season 8
invincible
ex machina
walking dead
jonah hex
teen titans year one
astonishing x-men
fear agent
all-star superman

So... Fear Agent... Tell me about it.

Affinity

Affinity

• Validating
  • 106 posts
I'm reading Fear Agent in trades, not issues, but I frickin' love it! Really great series. The book is written by Rick Remender, and art is by Tony Moore, with other arcs by some other guy, who's name escapes me...Tony Moore's art though is beautiful in this!

Basically, the concept is a sci-fi action story where you follow around the last "Fear Agent" who goes on various adventures in space and the like...It's pretty ballsy for a sci-fi story, too, which I gather was one of the things Remender wanted to do with the book.

Highly recommended :thumbsup: