Rush

some-guy

http://www.2112.net/powerwindows/tours/150727poster.jpg

Chalup, you were there, too?!? Sweet! :thumbsup:

I echo all the praise you've heaped upon them, individually, of course. Neil gets great respect as a drummer, but unlike many popular "rock legends", he utterly deserves his reputation. Geddy also gets a fair amount of respect for hiss bass playing, but as you pointed out, he does so much more - and you even left out the fact that he's also doing quite a bit of work with bass pedals & triggers while he's doing everything else (to be fair, Alex and even Neil also help out with the peddles/triggers). I've always felt Alex was hugely under appreciated as a guitarist, likely due to the fact that the pool of widely recognized great guitarists is significantly larger than that for drums or bass and so his bandmates stand out more in their respective pools. All three are master musicians and work together amazingly.

As for this show, it was immensely satisfying. The setlists were designed to go backwards in time as they progress through the night, which is why their most popular songs were in the second set. Though there will always be songs a band doesn't play that I wish they had, there were many treats for me that I really loved having a chance to hear. It did seem a bit odd to me to open with three songs off of Clockwork Angels, while other albums went completely unrepresented. Considering that the last tour was for Angels and they played almost the entire album, I would have gladly traded a couple of those songs (but not "Headlong Flight"!!!) to have heard anything from Power Windows and maybe something from either Hold Your Fire or Test for Echo. Still, to be able to finally witness things like "Hemispheres" & "Cignus X-1" (at least in part) live or deep cuts like "Anthem" and "How It Is" (the latter which I had never even heard a live version of on CD/DVD, because this is the first tour they've ever played it) made for a memorable evening.

This was the fifth time I saw Rush live (with the first time being the Vapor Trails tour in '02) and my friends and I all agreed that we thought Geddy's voice sounded better than it had in years. Yes, he still struggled with a few of the oldest songs, but he really nailed the first set and, in general, did a fine job. Few singers at 61 can hit all of the same notes that they could at 21. That's simply what happens. I agree that to complain about it is asinine, especially when the overall performance is still at a high level.

I had extremely mixed emotions when the lights finally came back on last night. On the one hand, I was still buzzed from the amazing performance I had just experienced and giddy over hearing several beloved songs live for the first time. On the other hand, there was an overwhelming feeling that that was the last time I was going to be able to watch my favorite band play live. Ever. As finales go, if that's what this was, it couldn't have been much better. Still, it's hard not to be sad over facing the reality that this is very possibly the end. I am hoping (and even cautiously hopeful) that they will continue to make music in the studio and maybe even do a few select shows here and there that can be recorded. It may not happen, but like the song says, I still cling to hope!

Guest El Chalupacabra

Chalup, you were there, too?!? Sweet! :thumbsup:

Yeah, I was in section 211, row 13. Straight shot to the stage. Nose bleeds for sure, because there was only one row behind me, but I saw everything just fine, and at least I can say I was there!

This was the fifth time I saw Rush live (with the first time being the Vapor Trails tour in '02) and my friends and I all agreed that we thought Geddy's voice sounded better than it had in years. Yes, he still struggled with a few of the oldest songs, but he really nailed the first set and, in general, did a fine job. Few singers at 61 can hit all of the same notes that they could at 21. That's simply what happens. I agree that to complain about it is asinine, especially when the overall performance is still at a high level.

Yeah, but I noticed when he did 2112/overature/temples, Geddy changed up the style to compensate, and actually, I really liked that version. Took something very familiar, and gave it a new spin. It was almost like he covered himself!

As for the complainer, people like that probably say stuff like that because they like to complain. If it wasn't Geddy Lee's voice, he would have complained that Alex Lifeson played a Les Paul with a Floyd Rose, instead of a Fender or something equally stupid.

I am hoping (and even cautiously hopeful) that they will continue to make music in the studio and maybe even do a few select shows here and there that can be recorded. It may not happen, but like the song says, I still cling to hope!

That would be nice if they do that. Maybe do albums, with limited touring, though I would hope they would consider PHX as a stop. And there is always the Las Vegas circuit. A lot of bands and artists do that, where they can do shows, but don't have to deal with the constant travel, too. And from PHX it is totally something I would drive to.

The songs I meant Geddy has a hard time with now are songs like "Lakeside Park", which I think he could actually sounded much better on if he'd gone down to the lower octave. That would've worked for that song. Other than that (and maybe one or two other early songs), it was mostly just the occasional note that gave him trouble. In general, I agree that he's adjusted quite well.

And hey, I was in Row 13, myself (Section 205). So, I was on Geddy's side, but in the same nose bleed altitude. Like you, I was just happy to be there. I could have actually had a seat down in the 100's, had I wanted. The person that bought our tickets ended up having to get them in three different groups (5 and 2 in the 205 section, with 1 by itself downstairs). I chose to be part of the group of 5, so that I could sit next to be next my good friend/bandmate, Steve. I figured that experiencing the show with a close friend and fellow fan would enhance the enjoyment more than being a bit closer to the stage. It's not like it was a front row ticket or anything and I figure I'll see plenty of closeups when I buy the Blu Ray.

Speaking of Alex and his Les Pauls, have you seen his new signature series? Steve and I have been drooling over them ever since they came out. We were happy to see that Alex actually played one on the opening song last night (and a couple later songs, as well). Now, if I only had a spare $5,500 laying around...

Guest El Chalupacabra

I also noticed a couple times where notes were missed, but didn't bother me at all. This same thing happens to guys half Geddy's age, and attempting octaves not at high all the time, so it is easy to overlook.

I think you made the right call on the tickets. When you go as a group it really sucks to be split up. My friend was in section 212...but then again, I don't like talking during shows so it really was a moot point. We all gathered after the show and talked about the show over some beers.

That is a sweet looking guitar, for sure! Unfortunately, I am also in the same situation....I don't exactly have $5500 to spend on it! But if I win the lottery, hell yeah!

Yeah, but I noticed when he did 2112/overature/temples, Geddy changed up the style to compensate, and actually, I really liked that version. Took something very familiar, and gave it a new spin. It was almost like he covered himself!

One last thought on this: one reason Geddy sounds better on this song is that they actually started playing this song a full step lower years ago. Transposing songs down is an option that can make it easier to sing, but doesn't always work. I read an interview with Alex from before the tour started and he was talking about how he had wanted to do "Fly By Night" on this tour, but it didn't sound right lower and doing it in the original key was too hard on Geddy (especially, he said, since they were already doing "Lakeside Park" which he said was in the same vocal range and even Alex admitted that that song was "challenging" for Geddy).

Speaking of that fine version of "2112", though, I stumbled across this earlier today...

Guest El Chalupacabra

I think Pong might have been fascinated by the Hay\Neigh 2-person horse. I know I was. But it was ALL awesome.

And loved how they kept adding the washing machines every 15 minutes in the first half of the show, too.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Yeah, thank goodness for smart phone bootlegs and youtube! LOL!

By the way, Lohr, I did notice the fact as the music went back in time the sets and the video loops appeared to go back in time.

Speaking of which, during the first half, do you remember the back ground video loop of the steam ship, that gets sunk by the sea monster? I don't know where, but it seems familiarto me, but I can't remember from where. Have you seen it before? It's been bugging me!

I can't say I recall, offhand. I'll have to give it some thought. Personally, I was a little disappointed that That Darn Dragon didn't make a (final?) appearance.

http://www.2112.net/powerwindows/tours/020000derivativedragon.jpg

So, last night was The Final Show in L.A. and apparently it was streamed live by several people. I didn't know about it at the time, but it looks like we actually may be able to replay it!

I've heard the "2112" excerpt/truncation too many times over the years, but I'll still listen through its entirety if I happen across it, especially live performances.

A dream wish is that they'd play live both Books of "Hemispheres."

And give "Caress of Steel" some love.

They did play parts of both books of Cygnus, if that's what you mean. Simply not enough time to do the whole thing, unfortunately, but still very cool. It was in reverse order (due to the "moving back through time" format of the show), but they played it so that the Hemispheres portion transitioned smoothly right into the Farewell to Kings portion. Good stuff!

As for Caress of Steel, they did do "Lakeside Park". However, sadly, it was by far Geddy's biggest vocal struggle of the night. In general, that album is above Geddy's current range - throw in the near-screaming that he did on songs like "Bastille Day" and I think it's just too much to effectively pull off. What they could have done (and would have been very cool, IMO) is if in his drum solo, Neil had worked in the mini-solo he did as part of "Fountain of Lamneth".

They did play parts of both books of Cygnus, if that's what you mean. Simply not enough time to do the whole thing, unfortunately, but still very cool. It was in reverse order (due to the "moving back through time" format of the show), but they played it so that the Hemispheres portion transitioned smoothly right into the Farewell to Kings portion. Good stuff!

Whoa! Is there a setlist for the show?

As for Caress of Steel, they did do "Lakeside Park". However, sadly, it was by far Geddy's biggest vocal struggle of the night. In general, that album is above Geddy's current range - throw in the near-screaming that he did on songs like "Bastille Day" and I think it's just too much to effectively pull off.

I get that. "Lakeside Park" may be the most manageable one to play live now.

What they could have done (and would have been very cool, IMO) is if in his drum solo, Neil had worked in the mini-solo he did as part of "Fountain of Lamneth".

"Didacts and Narpets" would be very cool.

Whoa! Is there a setlist for the show?

Sorry, I forgot to answer this! They had three revolving setlists for the tour, with a few more variations tacked on for specific nights. Today, I found this very cool video of the Denver show. Looks to be the same version Chalup and I saw in Phoenix. On YouTube, the guy has the setlist and start times for each song, which I'll include after the video. I watched part of it and it looks great, has a nice centered (and steady!) view, and even has pretty decent sound for a crowdshot video. He does mention that his battery died and he missed the beginning of 2112, but other than that, it's "almost like being there". :cool:

SET 1:

0:00 Intro

2:15 The Anarchist

9:05 Clockwork Angels

16:45 Headlong Flight

25:35 Far Cry

31:05 The Main Monkey Business

37:40 One Little Victory

43:30 Animate

49:50 Roll the Bones

56:15 Distant Early Warning

1:01:20 Subdivisions

----------Intermission----------

SET 2:

1:07:10 Intro: No country for old hens

1:12:35 Tom Sawyer

1:17:45 YYZ

1:22:20 The Spirit of Radio

1:27:35 Natural Science

1:36:20 Jacob's Ladder

1:43:45 Hemispheres (Prelude)

1:48:05 Cygnus X-1 Prologue / 1:51:10 Drum Solo / 1:55:20 Finale

1:57:35 Closer to the Heart

2:00:35 Xanadu

2:11:20 2112 Overture / 2:15:35 Temples of Syrinx / 2:17:45 Presentation / 2:21:20 Grand Finale (Cut)

---------Encore:---------

2:22:10 Intro

2:23:20 Lakeside Park

2:25:45 Anthem

2:29:00 What You're Doing

2:32:35 Working Man

2:38:30 Outro video

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.