Rush

some-guy

Ahh. Wait, if he's your ride, doesn't that make you his "company"? Maybe you should have paid for him, then! ;)

Meh, I'm just using his Dad for a ride. His Dad already admitted he likes Rush but isn't crazy about them. Me and my friend love Rush but we needed someone to drive.

Anyhoo, I have a wonderful program called Amadeus which would let me easily string together all of the amazing Instrumentals (La Villa will ALWAYS be my favorite) into one mp3 (if I take my time I should be able to seemlessly merge the pieces into an AMAZING track). I will play around with it for a few days

So, Fezzy, did you ever finish your project? :confused:

(btw guys, can you believe this thread is almost a year old?!? wierd.)

• 2 weeks later...

some-guy, just so you know - there was a thread over at Counterparts ranking all the studio albums, so while I was ranking mine, I thought I'd add yours also (they're averaging the rankings, so I thought the more data, the better). Hope that's ok! :)

So, this is what I finally came up with...

1) Signals

2) Grace Under Pressure

3) Permanent Waves

4) Power Windows

5) Snakes and Arrows

6) 2112

7) Moving Pictures

8) Fly By Night

9) Vapor Trails

10) Caress of Steel

11) Hold Your Fire

12) Rush

13) Hemispheres

14) A Farewell To Kings

15) Counterparts

16) Presto

17) Test for Echo

18) Roll the Bones

Like you (and I think a lot of fans), picking the order wasn't easy and would probably change if you ask me again next week! :shrug:

Yours was a bit different from mine, I see. We have very different opinions on Power Windows and A Farewell To Kings and Vapor Trails (do you know how long I've been calling it Vapor Trail :lol)

See, after a bit of time I probably would have gave Grace Under Pressure and Signals higher spots.

Yeah, that era with Power Windows, Grace, and Signals (and to a somewhat lesser extent, Hold Your Fire) was amazing, to me. Ironically, I'm not a huge keyboard fan. However, I just thought the songwriting during that time was great (and the keyboard sounds mostly tasteful, too).

I kind of surprised myself with Kings and especially Hemispheres, given how much of my time as a teenager was spent in the dark listening to those records. I still love them, but when I played them side by side with most of the later stuff...:shrug:

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I read that too, what a bummer.

As we get closer to April 11 I'm excited to see what Rush has in store for their setlst. This tours set list was very unusual and they playted some stuff they have not 't played in decades and some really deep cuts, hopefully they do the same this tour and please bring back 2112 and The Tress, two of my favourite songs I never got to hear theme live :(

Guess what!!!

I just saw Rush play YYZ at a Foo Fighters concert in Toronto!!!

On my way to see the Foo Fighters in Toronto we were told by the radio DJ that FF had a special guest for us. I didn't think much of it. So about half way into the set Dave Grohl introduces some of his friends, "Geddy Lee and Alex ****ing Lifeson". My mouth dropped. I was like, "WHAT!? Did I hear that right!?" Then came the opening chimes of YYZ played by FF drummer Taylor Hawkings and they played an entire rendition of YYZ! It was awesome, I couldn't really concentrate on the rest of the show, it was amazing. I was basically going nuts throughout the whole song. Dave bragged about it the rest of the night, "We just had Rush play at a Foo Fighters concert" and how "Taylor had the balls to play drums for RUSH in RUSHs home-town" I will never forget this concert, they defiantly pulled a fast one on us!

My sister got a few pics of Ged and Alex that I will upload later.

That should hold me off till my Rush show in July.

:)

Holy ****, you were there?!? That rules! I heard about this at the Counterparts board & listened to it yesterday. The thread there has a number of links for YouTube and the like, apparently some people were pretty quick with their cell phones, etc. Yay for you! I'm glad that some potential new fans were exposed to RUSH that night, but I'm even happier for you (and any other die-hard RUSH fans that may have happened to be there) since I can imagine what a thrill that must have been. Very cool, indeed! B-)

Very cool. Glad you were there. As for me, I'm still not sure if I'll make it to RUSH (it's looking very doubtful), but I am excited because I'll be seeing my other favourite band, New Model Army, on Sunday. This is easier to fit into the budget, as it's only $15. I'd also have to say I love them just about as much as RUSH, and the fact that I could be seeing them both within a month of each other...*sigh* :no:

That really is too bad that you won't be making it to Rush. I feel for you. I know what it's like to have a band roll into town and you can't go. Hope for the best, maby you can snag a list minute deal. Hell I'd just get lawn if you really wanna go. Great sound, not the best view though.

If I go, it'll have to be lawn seats, I'm sure. They're only $40 this time around, but when the bills are piling up and you have another kid on they way, even $40 can seem like a lot. The baby is another complication, since she's due the same week of the concert. Thanks for the good thoughts. I'm trying not to give up all hope, but I'm also trying to come to grips that I probably won't be there. The thing I really hate is the speculation that this might be the last tour. I really think that they will make at least one more album and tour (hopefully more) - but after 30+ years, you just never know! :(

Time For a Rush Update!

Rush makes the Bass Player Readers' Choice Awards

Posted at 6:42PM | link | comments (10)

[Web Exclusive Peek: The First Annual Bass Player Readers' Choice Awards]

Just like their sister magazine Guitar Player did, Bass Player magazine recently posted a web preview of their 2008 Readers' Choice Awards. Rush and Geddy Lee won in the following categories:

Best 2007 Cover Feature

Geddy Lee, August 2007

Coolest Bass Line In A Song Released In 2007

Rush's Malignant Narcissism gathered the most votes for a cool '07 line, followed up by Far Cry, also from the Toronto trio's Snakes and Arrows album.

2007's Best Album For Bass

Rush: Snakes & Arrows

Rush makes the Guitar Player Readers' Choice Awards

Posted at 9:09AM | link | comments (87)

[Exclusive Web Preview! The 2008 GP Readers' Choice Awards]

Guitar Player magazine recently posted a web preview of their 2008 Readers' Choice Awards. Rush and Alex Lifeson won in the following categories:

Best Article in 2007

Different Strings

Alex Lifeson

Best Rock Guitarist

Alex Lifeson

2007's Most Ferociously Brilliant Guitar Album

Rush: Snakes & Arrows

New Alex Lifeson interview at Billboard.com

Posted at 3:14PM | link | comments (103)

[Rush Promises Surprises On Summer Tour]

Billboard just posted some snippets of a recent conversation with Alex Lifeson to their website. Alex talks a bit about the upcoming tour; the Snakes & Arrows Live CD and DVD; and Rush's next studio album. He mentions that fans can expect some setlist surprises on the tour:

.. "we thought we should maybe revisit some older songs we're not playing currently or haven't been in the last little while. So we changed out a few songs in the set. We're gonna keep it loose and maybe kind of bounce back and forth."

Lifeson says the group frequently gets fan requests for specific material. "We see 'Camera Eye' come up quite often, 'Jacob's Ladder' and some of the longer songs like that from our mid-period," he says. ...

So some of the rumors I'd mentioned a couple weeks ago might be true. Did he actually mention Camera Eye!? Now that would be a surprise. Let's keep our fingers crossed. He also addresses the Snakes & Arrows Live DVD:

... Lifeson says Rush is also starting to tuck into the video material from the [Rotterdam] show last October at Ahoy Rotterdam arena in the Netherlands for a DVD the guitarist says will be out in the late summer or early fall.

"We shot it in HD, and I hear it looks really dramatic," says Lifeson, who supervised the stereo mix for the CD. The group decided to put the CD out first, he says, because "we wanted to kind of bridge the two halves of the tour with a release so there's something there, and then we'll follow up with the live DVD." ...

So he confirms that the DVD will be released late summer or early fall as I'd mentioned a couple of months ago.

He also confirms that Rush is planning on another studio album with Nick Raskulinecz:

... Lifeson says that he and bandmates Geddy Lee and Neil Peart are also thinking a bit about Rush's next studio album -- mostly likely with "Snakes & Arrows" co-producer Nick Raskulinecz -- but suspects that will come later rather than sooner.

"I'm guessing that we're probably going to take a little bit of the break at the end of this tour," says Lifeson, who's been updating his Web site with a number of new features he hopes to roll out soon. "I don't see us really doing much in the way of any new material probably until the spring of next year, and then we'll see where we go. We generally prefer to just start on that first day and sit down and start jamming; it's such an exciting moment, and it becomes it's own living thing. We seem to be much more balanced and a lot happier working that way." ...

Camera Eye? Sweet. JACOBS LADDER!? Amazing if that happened.

Two weeks and counting down until the 2008 leg of Rush's Snakes & Arrows tour kicks off at the Coliseo de Puerto Rico. Reader shockobabble let me know that the Puerto Rican newspaper El Nuevo Día is sponsoring a Rush Pre-party for this show at the Coliseo for select subscribers. Rush is presumably still rehearsing in Toronto but - if what I'm hearing is correct - will be heading down to Puerto Rico later next week to start rehearsals there.

So much good news in such a short time! Like I said over at Counterparts, if Yahoo had picked up the story about a new studio album on the 1st (instead of the 2nd, as they did), I would've probably been too afraid to believe it! And this certainly makes it sound like the DVD may indeed be different than the CD, which is great news! Some of the songs will probably be the same version, but since they have two shows to draw from for the DVD, they'll hopefully mix it up a bit. Hopefully, there'll be another nice documentary, too. If we're really lucky, as some people have speculated, maybe they'll throw in some bonus material from this leg of the tour. We can keep our fingers crossed! B-)

I heard something a while ago about a Canadian film maker )the same guy who made Metal :A Head Bangers Journey) was working towards creating a movie about Rush from their beginnings to present day.

The info about a new album got me excited. Something tells me that the boys are very proud of S&A, just from how much of it they play live and are ready to write new material.

I'd love to see a bonus section with the songs that will be added to the 2008 set list.

The DVD you're talking about probably won't be out until next year. He's still working on something else right now (one for Iron Maiden, if memory serves). Luckily, there's enough to keep us going until the next album comes out. It's a good time to be a RUSH fan! :)

Hey, another Rush fan here. I'm still in the process of educating myself as to their older material, so I'm not as much of a die-hard expert as you guys might be... Yet, anyway... But I really do dig their stuff. I thought Snakes and Arrows was brilliant, and I can't wait for the live release next week!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.