Rush

some-guy

Rush fans unite! This is the MECCA of Rushaholics on Nightly!

Lakeside part is in the town of St. Catherines. It is about 1.5h south of Toronto, 40min from the CA/US border and about 20min from ME. The only thing that still remains there is the old Mary Go-Round mentioned in the song. BTW encase you weren't familiar with Canadian holidays, the 24th of May is Victoria Day.

Still waiting for that info for Canadian dates...

Rush fans unite!

La guillotine will claim her bloody prize!!! Er, um...wait. Wrong revolution... ;)

Another oddity I was considering the other day is the fact that the band will have released as many live albums in the last five years as it did in their first twenty-nine years. I know there are reasons for this (and that realistically Different Stages is two seperate albums packaged together), but still...wierd. Not that I'm complaining, mind you. I don't want them to ever stop recording new material and if they want to release a live album after every tour, that's fine by me! I have yet to be disappointed by one of their live albums (or studio, for that matter).

In fact, I was wondering if any of you Nightly Rush fans collect any...*whispers* unofficial live discs? Does anyone do any trading? I'm currently without a working burner, but as soon as I can afford to rectify that situation, I was thinking of looking into a website I found (and have since lost) that catered toward Rush fans who engage in cd exchanging. I only have a couple (and one seems to actually be an import, not a bootleg). Electric Land Studios is from '74, shortly after Neil joined, I'd guess. As the name says, it's from a broadcast at the famous NY studio and is noteworthy for the fact that it not only includes songs from the first album and a couple that ended up on Fly By Night, but also a Beatles cover, "Bad Boy" (which I discovered the Beatles actually covered from someone else).

The other cd, Rush Hour - Greatist Hits Live, is either a genuine German import or the most painstakingly produced bootleg I've ever seen. Plenty of copyright signs, legal warnings, thick colour booklet (in German, obviously). The shows, however, are said to be from U.S. tours in '89 and '92. The sound on both this and the '74 cd are very good. I also had some MP3 odds and ends, including a couple live songs, "Battlescar" (Rush's song they recorded with Max Webster), as well as two Neil solo compositions that appeared on flexidisc in Modern Drummer magazine (and which parts of both are used in his more recent solos). What really sucks is that I probably lost all of it when my computer died recently and the site that I got most of them from had to take down the songs because of legal reasons. Thank goodness I had put them all on my Zen! But since my burner wasn't working, I was never able to make a hard copy! :(

So, does anyone else have anything cool? :)

Oh My GOD!!!

My Brethren, at last I have found thee!!!

I have been a die hard Rush Fanatic since 1980 when I accidentally bought the wrong album. I, like everyone, in 1981, had just heard Tom Sawyer on the radio. I ran out to buy the album, and being 12, and stupid, I didn't grab Moving Pictures, I bought...2112.

It was all over from there. Within the next 5 weeks, I purchased every album available and listened non-stop. I have had the pleasure of seeing them live 7 times (sadly, now with 2 kids in school, and money being tight, I last saw them for the Test For Echo Tour).

I still go out and buy every album as it is released. While Vapor Trails has still yet to fully win me over, I am LOVING Snakes & Arrows!!!

I found a GREAT web site, I don't think I saw it mentioned, called digitalrushexperience.com where you can find a listing of hundreds and hundreds of Rush Bootlegs. Most of which can be found via bit torrent (dimeadozen.org has over 390 Rush torrents at the moment :thumbsup: ) engines. My iPod is always stocked with 300+ unique Rush tunes (ALL of their studio stuff, and I mix the live stuff in and out).

I am So F'n STOKED to have found this thread!

There's probably half of that album that they haven't played live (or at least released live) before
, said Darth Lohr.

Ok, maybe 'released', I have aquired a bootleg Feedback Live from a show at Wembley Stadium in which almost the whole album is played live :D

A Great Night to all of you who dance on Different Strings, to the Working Man who never expects Something for Nothing regardless of the Circumstances. A Farewell to Kings, and to the New World Man living in the Subdivisions beyond The Trees, and to the Digital Man and The Analog Kid living a life that's a Far Cry from the Limelight of The Camera Eye. To all of you I say we must Resist the Neurotica, to fight The Enemy Within, we must rock on, and keep strong our Vital Signs!

:rock:

RUSH FOREVER!!!

:yes:

I found a GREAT web site, I don't think I saw it mentioned, called digitalrushexperience.com where you can find a listing of hundreds and hundreds of Rush Bootlegs. Most of which can be found via bit torrent (dimeadozen.org has over 390 Rush torrents at the moment :thumbsup: ) engines.

Thanks for the info! I'll have to check it out. Sadly, I (and I'm guessing some-guy) would be more excited if we had high speed! :cry:

Still, welcome to the thread! B-) Incidentally, my lifelong Rush devotion started just a touch before Fezzlekway's, roughly '78 or so (I would've been 7). My friend had Caress of Steel and 2112 (on 8-track! :thumbsup: ) and we used to listen to them constantly. Being that young, of course, I had no source of income other than a minascule allowance, so I would go with my mom on Saturdays to rummage sales and would always thoroughly search any tapes/records they might have. And Fezzlekway, if you've read the entire thread, you already know that I can relate to (and sympathise with) the whole family thing getting in the way of concerts. I'm probably just kidding myself by holding any hope for seeing them this time around. :(

The thing that always scares me though is, how long will they be around? Hopefully the fact that they are still apparently having fun on the road and (just as importantly) able to make amazing fresh and creative new music together will keep them going for years to come. Like you said, finances rarely increase when you have children and come April we'll have a 2-year old and a newborn (and I'm a stay at home dad). By the time they're in school and I'm working again (and thus, hopefully, have at least a little extra money), who knows if Rush will still be touring? And despite my decades of fandom, it wasn't until I married my wife that I started getting out of debt and could actually afford to see them. So, it wasn't until the Vapor Trails tour (and then the following 30th Anniversary tour) that I actually got to go to a Rush concert. And while I'm thankful that I at least did get to do that, they're so good and put on such a great show ("Who needs an opening band? We'll just play for you for 3 hours!") that I certainly don't want to be satisfied with only having seen them twice!

Oh, btw Fezzlekway - in all your listening, have you ever come across any interesting odditites from a show? Like, have they ever played any (non-Feedback) covers or perhaps songs from one of their solo albums? For quite some time, I've been thinking about how great it would if Rush - despite their habit of not doing the predictable - would release a box set. Things I would love to see include such rarities, live songs that haven't appeared before (such as we've been discussing), demos (it would be interesting to hear how the songs changed), and some of the legendary soundcheck jams that have spawned many of their songs. The latter could be included in another disc I would love to have - an "instrumental" disc. I'm thinking they could also include a few new instrumentals, maybe record new versions of some older pieces.

*sigh* Yes, it's a dream I've given some thought to. Maybe we start a petition! Like the man said...

Rush fans unite!

An instrumental disc...wow, that would be damn cool. It would take a hell of a long time to write/record. I read that Ged said it took them longer to record La Villa Strangiato than it did the entire Fly By Night Album.

If your interested, there is a Power Windows demo out there, LINK

Your mention of a box set got me thinking. A Limited edition box with all live, studio, dvds, rareities, outtakes, demos and any other cool **** inside a huge circular starman canister.

Also,

Sunday, February 10, 2008

Rush passed over at the Grammys once again

Posted at 6:43PM | link | comments (111)

Rush lost the Grammy for the Best Rock Instrumental Performance at the pre-telecast Grammy Award ceremony in Los Angeles this afternoon. The song Malignant Narcissism off of their 2007 album Snakes & Arrows had been nominated along with The Ecstasy Of Gold from Metallica, Always With Me, Always With You from Joe Satriani, The Attitude Song from Steve Vai, and the winning entry - Once Upon A Time In The West from Bruce Springsteen. It was the 5th time in their career that they had been nominated in this category, and the 5th time they have lost. Rush's past nominations in the Best Rock Instrumental Performance category were for YYZ in 1981, Where's My Thing? in 1992, Leave That Thing Alone in 1995 and O Baterista in 2004. No surprise really.

BTW, I'm currently in the process of listing to every single Rush studio album, while on my PC I play an album or two, just getting to know some some I forgot. I'm only done 7/18 though.

A demo? Very cool, I'll have to check that out - thanks! :thumbsup:

So, Rush didn't get the respect they deserve, eh? Not shocking at all, which is sad. Bruce Springsteen writes instumentals? Huh. Somehow, even if "Malignant Narcissism" isn't there best ever, it's hard for me imagining that his is better. And "The Attitude Song" is like 20 years old! I'd also be curious as to who beat out "YYZ" back in '81 - because I'm guessing whoever they were, they never had 40,000 Brazillions singing along to their instrumental! What a joke... :unimpressed:

I hate fans that think their band should win all awards over everyone else, but who can deny that YYZ is one of the best rock instrumentals ever and it still very popular and played on the radio.

Rush isn't really a mainstream band compared to Bruce Springsteen, so its no surprise. I sure hope they get a Juno! I doubt Rush really cares they lost though.

Grammy nominations

* 1981 nomination for Best Rock Instrumental Performance

o "YYZ" — lost to The Police's "Behind My Camel"

* 1992 nomination for Best Rock Instrumental Performance

o "Where's My Thing?" — lost to Eric Johnson's "Cliffs of Dover"

* 1995 nomination for Best Rock Instrumental Performance

o "Leave That Thing Alone" — lost to Pink Floyd's "Marooned"

* 2004 nomination for Best Rock Instrumental Performance

o "O Baterista" from Rush In Rio — lost to Brian Wilson's "Mrs. O'Leary's Cow"

* 2008 nomination for Best Rock Instrumental Performance

o "Malignant Narcissism" from Snakes & Arrows — lost to Bruce Springsteen's "Once Upon a Time in the West"

Check out the Juno Awards (more nominations)

Juno awards

Rush has been awarded the following Juno awards:

* 1974 Most promising group of the year

* 1977 Group of the year

* 1978 Group of the year

* 1990 Artist of the Decade (80's)

* 1991 Best Heavy Metal Album - Presto

* 1991 Best album cover - Presto

* 1992 Best Hard Rock Album - Roll The Bones

* 1992 Best album cover - Roll the Bones

* 2004 Music DVD of the year - Rush in Rio

I also found this cool, just some Niel Peart awards from Drummer Magazine.

Best Recorded Performance:

* 1980: Permanent Waves

* 1981: Moving Pictures

* 1982: Exit...Stage Left

* 1983: Signals

* 1985: Grace Under Pressure

* 1986: Power Windows

* 1988: Hold Your Fire

* 1989: A Show of Hands

* 1990: Presto

* 1992: Roll the Bones

* 1993: Counterparts

* 1997: Test for Echo

* 1999: Different Stages

* 2002: Vapor Trails

* 2004: R30

* 2007: Snakes and Arrows

"Reggatta de Blanc" is actually the only one of those I'm familar with! And I - hey, no fair editing! :nono:

Anywho, I certainly don't think they (or any band I'm a fan of) should just "automatically win". Like I said, though (and you seem to agree) "YYZ" is among the greatest ever, not just of a given year (although, I personally love "La Villa" at least as much). As for this year, I was questioning why Steve Vai was even nominated for a great, but decidedly old song (unless he rerecorded it, for some reason) and I don't have a huge amount of respect for Springsteen as a musician, so it's just so hard for me to imagine it being better (though, in fairness, I haven't heard it).

Having said all that, though, it doesn't really bother me too much, since those sorts of awards are basically meaningless. I couldn't tell you the last time I actually watched one. I do remember laughing quite hard, though, when Jethro Tull (another band I'm a big fan of) won in the "Heavy Metal" category! From what I've read, Tull thought it was pretty funny, as well. And I'm guessing you're right that it doesn't bother RUSH too much. Still, it's always nice to be respected, and at least they get a bit of that in Canada.

BTW, I'm pretty excited now about that link. I didn't realize until I went there that you meant it was the demo of the whole album! I thought it was just a song or two. Power Windows has always been near the top of my fav RUSH albums, so this is a very cool find, indeed. However, once again I'm cursing the fact that I have dialup - after a good 20 minutes, I'm still only 44% done downloading the first song! What's worse, even when I have everything downloaded, I can't listen to it. After getting my new computer last week, I discovered that it doesn't have a soundcard and I need to wait until I can get my old one scavenged from my old computer until I can listen to anything (or even rip cd's to put on my Zen)! :(

(Oh, and it looked like there were finally some Canadian dates on the tour schedule. I didn't really look it over - did you get one nearby yet?) :confused:

Hey Gang,

I am STILL bouncing off the walls having found a cache of fellow Rush Nerds!

The latter could be included in another disc I would love to have - an "instrumental" disc. I'm thinking they could also include a few new instrumentals, maybe record new versions of some older pieces.

DL: I can tell you that, I don't know about an "Instrumental Disc", but one of the bootleg threads I found at DRE is a collection of about 30 (yes 30) of The Professor's solos strung together (spanning their carreer). :D

Rush lost the Grammy for the Best Rock Instrumental Performance at the pre-telecast Grammy Award ceremony in Los Angeles this afternoon. The song Malignant Narcissism off of their 2007 album Snakes & Arrows had been nominated along with The Ecstasy Of Gold from Metallica, Always With Me, Always With You from Joe Satriani, The Attitude Song from Steve Vai, and the winning entry - Once Upon A Time In The West from Bruce Springsteen.

sg: Unless this a (not very) cleverly re-titled song from my man Joe Satch, was this song not from the SURFING WITH THE ALIEN Disc (His second full-length release, track 4 if memory serves).?

Anyhoo, I have a wonderful program called Amadeus which would let me easily string together all of the amazing Instrumentals (La Villa will ALWAYS be my favorite) into one mp3 (if I take my time I should be able to seemlessly merge the pieces into an AMAZING track). I will play around with it for a few days and post my result to my comcast web space. Of course I will send you gentleman a link to the result. :D

And so in bidding farewell I say to thee...

Slowly I am Finding My Way to Rivendell. Once there The Necromancer will learn first hand the Lessons of the Cinderella Man, for in reading from Cygnus X-1 Book II the beauty of Natural Science is plain for all to see. Stand down from your Witch Hunt, put down The Weapon and remove your Red Lenses. Drink of the High Water and dance to the Mystic Rhythms, throw off your Bravado and bask in the Everyday Glory of the Available Light. Carve Away The Stone and leave behind a Peaceable Kingdom. Only then can we get on with The Main Monkey Business... :D

Fezzlekway, some may say you have too much time on your hands, but feel free to keep up the RUSH greetings! :lol:

Surfing was always an album I meant to get, but somehow never got around to. I have one or two of his albums on tape somewhere, but I know that one is really supposed to be a classic. So, like his protege's "Attitude Song", there's two songs on that list that 20 years old or so. That's a rather odd Grammy list, don't you think?!? :confused:

And *ahem* did you say thirty of Neil's solos?!? :eek: Damn, I need to find a way to download faster, because the list of things I need just keeps getting longer and longer!!! :no:

(Oh, and it looked like there were finally some Canadian dates on the tour schedule. I didn't really look it over - did you get one nearby yet?) :confused:

I wasn't clear. I'm actually waiting for info on the dates, so far they have had presales for all dates except Toronto, Montreal and 2 US dates.

And *ahem* did you say thirty of Neil's solos?!? :eek: Damn, I need to find a way to download faster, because the list of things I need just keeps getting longer and longer!!! :no:

Also, on that site there is a compilation of all of Lerxst's rants off their R30 tour.

* 1981 nomination for Best Rock Instrumental Performance

o "YYZ" — lost to The Police's "Behind My Camel"

"Reggatta de Blanc" is actually the only one of those I'm familar with! And I - hey, no fair editing! :nono:

Now I'm not sure if it was Reggatta be Blanc or Behind My Camel, depending on the site many list one or the other. :shrug:

Does it matter? Rush got screwed either way. :lol:

Cliffs of Dover is a great song btw. I only know because it is on Guitar Hero III. :p

Well, this isn't recent news (11/07), but I was poking around one of the links that some-guy provided and I found this. In case you're like me and hadn't heard, here's some more cool news (and something else to look forward to this year)...

I got this via Draconator over at Counterparts. It gives some more details regarding the upcoming Rush documentary and puts out a request to fans for rare video footage of the band.

RUSH: THE DOCUMENTARY will be the first in-depth look at the history and influence of Rush. It will trace the band's fascinating musical evolution, from their science fiction-inspired progressive rock of the 70s to their current heavy rock style. Combining new exclusive interviews and performance footage from the 2007 Snakes and Arrows tour as well as material from the band's massive visual archive, the film will offer Geddy, Alex and Neil's own perspective on their spectacular achievements. It will also present interviews with musicians influenced by Rush's music, including members of Metallica, Iron Maiden, Tool, Nirvana, and many others. The documentary is in pre-production with an anticipated release in late 2008.

The documentary will be directed and produced by Scot McFadyen and Sam Dunn, creators of Metal: A Headbanger's Journey, which featured interviews with metal icons including Geddy Lee. "Metal" premiered at the Toronto International Film Festival in 2005 and has been released in over 25 countries with DVD sales reaching 200,000 copies. "Metal" has received widespread praise from metal fans and musicians and has garnered rave reviews from press and film festival audiences around the world. Sam and Scot's follow-up film "Global Metal" will be released in Spring 2008 and explores the globalization of metal music in Japan, China, Indonesia, Israel, Dubai, India and Brazil.

We are reaching out to Rush fans around the world to collect rare, good quality video/film footage of:

(A) the band performing live (concerts, TV shows etc.)

(B) rare interviews with TV stations etc.

We are especially looking for stuff from the early period of the band's career (70s and early 80s), and from outside of North America. At this time, we are NOT looking for photographs, ticket stubs, tour books, audio recordings etc. ONLY footage and interviews. Do you have anything that could help us? You can be part of telling the definitive Rush story!

If you have any of this material, please contact researcher Liisa at rush@metalhistory.com. Of course, any material that we request will be safely stored and returned. Let's see a show of hands!

So it looks like they are aiming for a late 2008 release. We might be seeing a Rush documentary and a live DVD next year - not to mention the 2008 tour. Wow.

I read that, looks good, should be interesting. I hvae some funny links to post here:

I have no clue how to post embedded vids...

Halarious Rush mention on Colbert Report... Here

and Live Tom Sawyer into 07 Tour...

I'm at school incase your wondering how I waited so long for videos, :lol:.

So, I finished listening to the studio albums and figured I would list them in order of favorites.

Moving Pictures

Permanent Waves

A Farewell To Kings

Hemispheres

Fly By Night

Snakes and Arrows

Grace Under Pressure

Hold Your Fire

Test For Echo

Caress of Steel

Rush

Presto

Signals

Roll The Bones

Power Windows

Counterparts

Vapor Trail

Hmm, certainly "old school" there, aren't you? Nothing in your top six that's past early 80's. Insteresting list. S&A is a great album, and I was actually trying to figure out the other day just where it would rank amongst my own favorites. I guess I'll have to make those painstaking choices and put up my list, soon.

Poor Vapor Trails. I was just forced to defend it over at the Counterparts board as the most underrated album, after I noticed it got bashed quite a bit. That reminds me, I just started going to Counterparts last week - does anyone else post there at all?

I plan to start posting on Counterparts soon. I visit regularly to read though. I post on RushTour Forum, its a smaller forum.

Yea, "old school" I guess. Something about those first three 90's albums I just can't get into. And as for Vapor Trail, after One Little Victory the album kinda goes downhill IMO.

I had to give Test For Echo a decent spot. I really enjoy that album. It's really hard to list fav albums of Rush because each album has THAT song or THAT vibe. Sometimes Hold Your Fire is my fav then other times A Farewell to Kings is. Ask me in a few weeks and the list will be different.

I bought my Rush tickets today. I manged to get 3 in section 203 row U.

What a annoying process. My first was 201 row X, I kinda wnated to get 202 to be centre so I threw em back. Then I kept getting 300s and some "no tickets available" messages. So when the 203 came up I went for it. Good seats. Can't wait.

I'm really not a fan of the tickets prices... $125 for floor and most of 200. $90 for 300 and back of 200. $70 for 400 and $35 I believe for lawn. I paid $90 btw, I probably would have went for premium seats but my company wasn't keen on spending that much, which I understand.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.