Rush

some-guy

• 3 weeks later...

Don't get too excited, at least about that part. There's not much, really, just a little bit in the documentary. Still, that's cooler than nothing! Overall though, yes, get excited. Yes, you need it. Yes, it's awesome. :yes:

Edit: I have read a couple places where people mention that the festival was supposed to have been filmed, possibly for later release. Heard anything like that?

Yep, all of the festival is filmed every year. Then released as a single dvd with one song from the 15-20 biggest bands that agree to be on it. Back when I was at the big paper I managed to get hold of all of the Celtic Frost gig but now I don´t have that kinda connections anymore.

• 2 months later...

Those years produced some absolutely magical stuff. I wore the ink right off my tapes of GUP and Power Windows, I listened to them so regularly. Signals is probably my all-time favorite Rush album. One of the things that gets overlooked, I think, is that thought Geddy was playing the keyboards so much more, he was still laying down some damn cool bass. Your example above has some nice parts and that album alone also has stuff like "Force Ten" and this little gem, that features some of Geddy's coolest bass playing of any era...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E0m0Gcblp0

(Also overlooked is how Alex's brilliance in that era was definitely more subtle, but no less real.) :cool:

• 2 months later...

I would love an entire night (or even just an entire set) of songs that have never/rarely been played live. After all of these years, there have to be enough of them. At the very least, ones that haven't been covered on the officially released live albums (which, of course, will make for a nice track list for the next live album).

• 2 months later...

That´s a great idea in general! Only band I know that has ever done it is Gamma Ray, naming both the album and the tour "Skeletons in the closet" and being really strict about it being only songs they never played live.

Hmm... starting to think about dream sets of never-player songs by Iron Maiden for some reason. Back in the village, Flash of the blade, Gangland, Invaders, Alexander the Great... could be a fun show instead of all the usual songs!

That is a great one, Ryn. I would have to do some in-depth analysis to narrow down a favorite, but one that always stood out to me based on set list is the Grace Under Pressure Tour album.

1."Intro"

2."The Spirit of Radio"
3."The Enemy Within"
4."The Weapon"
5."Witch Hunt"
6."New World Man"
7."Distant Early Warning"
8."Red Sector A"
9."Closer to the Heart"
10."YYZ/2112: Temples Of Syrinx/Tom Sawyer"
11."Vital Signs"
12."Finding My Way/In The Mood"

Back in the Village may well be my favorite Maiden "deep cut". If I were going to design a set list, I would start by inserting every single song that Bruce Dickinson hasn't yet sung on an official release. Maiden is always better when he sings. Well, except for the instrumentals, of course. ;)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

http://www.rush.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/post_feature.jpg

Can't believe I forgot to post my happiness here! Tickets went on sale for Phoenix almost two weeks ago and I am officially going! Tickets were going fast, so it was a bit of a relief to get the news. A friend went down to get them the morning they went on sale. She was buying eight tickets and ended up having to get them in three different sections. Yikes. I may end up sitting by myself (the tickets were in groups of 5, 2, and 1), but at least I'll be there. I'm always excited to see Rush, anyway, but this could possibly be my last chance. :(

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

That was never really an option for me. Even if I somehow actually had that much disposable income, I would have essentially been spending all that money for the bonus disc (and I guess to upgrade some of my DVDs to Blu Ray). If you're a big enough fan of the band to even wish you could spend that much money for one set, chances are very high that there will be very little new here for you, most likely only the bonus disc. Which is why it pisses me off that they didn't make the bonus disc available separately. You know millions of Rush fans would have plunked down $20 for that disc. I'm sure they didn't do that because they didn't want to hurt the sales of the set, but I really wonder how many of those sold and how many fans that didn't/couldn't buy the full set would've gladly bought the bonus disc. Maybe we'll eventually see it sold by itself (I, myself, can neither confirm nor deny that I may or may not have already obtained a copy through...other means).

***HOWEVER, I DID DISCOVER SOMETHING***

Just a few minutes ago, I came across something very interesting. When the R40 set came out, there was another bonus disc (a "bonus bonus disc"?) in the sets sold at Best Buy. That particular bonus disc is apparently now available for FREE as a download here. I just started downloading them a few minutes ago, so it'll be awhile before I can watch (big file, slow internet), but it looks pretty sweet - especially for the price! :cool:

• 2 months later...
Guest El Chalupacabra

So I saw Rush last night in the PHX and they were way awesome! They played just over 3 hours. Rumor is this is possibly their final major tour, and if it is, I am so glad to have seen them. They played a lot of their Clockwork Angels stuff in the first half, and got into their "greatest hits" the second half. I left convinced that Neil Peart is among the greatest drummers of rock, if not the world, and was in awe of Alex Lifeson's guitar prowess. Geddy Lee was also belting the tunes out as well as ever, and I was so impressed how effortlessly he went from singing, to bass, to keyboard, all in the same song. The laser light show, pyrotechnics, and stage video media were a thing of perfection to behold, as well. For me, there are many good memories are connected to listening to Rush, and I was so glad to get to see them in person, finally after all these years. And if this is their final tour, it makes it all the more special!

To my annoyance, I heard this one guy behind me complaining about how Geddy Lee's voice is just not what it used to be. I thought he sounded as well as always, but even if Geddy Lee was only 85% the singer he was, he still is 100% awesome!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.